NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Is he still the WWF champion?

FULL GEEK MODE:  He was the 24/7 Champion, which means he's comic relief on the shows.  R-Truth got the title back last week.  Gronk went out to start doing some exercise with a "trainer".  In the background Truth was a gardener.  Gronk got distracted, the "trainer" was a WWE Referee and R-Truth rolled him up for the pin.

Analysis:  Gronk cut some pretty good promos for a guy who hadn't done it before.  He certainly has a future in that entertainment field when his NFL days are behind him.

Edited by vegas492

58 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

FULL GEEK MODE:  He was the 24/7 Champion, which means he's comic relief on the shows.  R-Truth got the title back last week.  Gronk went out to start doing some exercise with a "trainer".  In the background Truth was a gardener.  Gronk got distracted, the "trainer" was a WWE Referee and R-Truth rolled him up for the pin.

Analysis:  Gronk cut some pretty good promos for a guy who hadn't done it before.  He certainly has a future in that entertainment field when his NFL days are behind him.

While I do not follow wrestling at all, I was cheering for a Fox cross promotion where Gronk catches a TD and as he's doing his Gronk spike, a "fan" jumps out and gets the pin. Only the fan is John Cena* 

*Or literally any other wrestler

• Like 2

On 6/3/2020 at 9:27 PM, Leader said:

I'm not doing any reading or interpretation at all. Bree's own words denigrated the protests (past and future should they happen again) as disrespecting the flag - which was never the intention of any of the players that took a knee or stood in solidarity. None of them.

They "clarified" that numerous times. Over and over  - but to no avail - because if you hijack the intent of the protest - declare it to be something its not (ie. unpatriotic disrespect for the flag/military....) - you're no longer dealing with the actual intent of it - which was police brutality.

Given the current *heightened* climate and events, I think it foolish for Brees to open that can of worms again and think it would have been smarter had he made some banal comment and let it go. He's got his own teammates calling him out on it.

Michael Wilbon had a great comment in the Brees talks about how his family members served the country and Wilbon pointed out the problem with this statement is it assumes that black players DIDN'T have family members who served, when minorities tend to serve at a higher rate than the population at large, e.g. you can be pretty sure that a lot of those players kneeling ALSO have vets in their family tree. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Michael Wilbon had a great comment in the Brees talks about how his family members served the country and Wilbon pointed out the problem with this statement is it assumes that black players DIDN'T have family members who served, when minorities tend to serve at a higher rate than the population at large, e.g. you can be pretty sure that a lot of those players kneeling ALSO have vets in their family tree. 

The whole equivalency to “disruspeckting the flag!!!” is very, very flawed, and that is one area that AFAIK Brees has failed to address. 

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Jones' agent is going to be watching this closely.  Don't get any funny ideas, Aaron.

Could be wrong, but any type of holdout by Jones would shock the hell out of me. If you've ever met him, he's the exact opposite of a guy you'd expect to hold out. His character is 100 out of 100. I doubt he'd hold out unless his agent literally pressured the hell out of him to do it, and even then, I doubt it. 

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Could be wrong, but any type of holdout by Jones would shock the hell out of me. If you've ever met him, he's the exact opposite of a guy you'd expect to hold out. His character is 100 out of 100. I doubt he'd hold out unless his agent literally pressured the hell out of him to do it, and even then, I doubt it. 

I mean, there's an alcohol DUI and a marijuana DUI that raise some questions regarding that.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

He's also EASILY the most dangerous player on their offense. I hope he holds out all season because if he does, the Vikings won't win 6 games. 

Vegas has their over under at 9 wins. Does that sound high to you? They lost a ton on defense and Diggs on offense. My only reluctance to bet it is that they play Chi and Det twice each.

10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I mean, there's an alcohol DUI and a marijuana DUI that raise some questions regarding that.

Those are pretty weak. That's most college-aged people with some bad luck mixed in. We'll call it 99 out of 100.