NFL News & Notes

Leader

I've all but accepted that there will be no football this year. I just can't see how the league goes forth on a premise of "play at your own risk." These guys have families. Many of the coaches are high risk. If Vic Fangio or Andy Reid catches it and dies, the season is over. Not to mention the fact that quarantining whole teams or position groups would lead to some of the worst on-field product we've ever seen. It'll take a miracle to get any kind of NFL season this year, IMO.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I have given up on baseball.  But football hasn't missed anything, yet.  I am still holding out hope.

Agree.  Baseball can't get their crap together at all ... football still has some time to figure it out.  

19 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Dr Fauci has been more wrong on the virus than right.  He waffles more than IHOP ... I don't take a thing he says seriously.  Going to a sporting event will take time but little by little things will hopefully start playing out for the best.

Sauce?

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

Agree.  Baseball can't get their crap together at all ... football still has some time to figure it out.  

Figure out what though? There is literally no way to hold training camp, let alone play a full season, without players and coaches contracting the virus. A bunch of Cowboys and Texans already have it. I want to be optimistic, but unless they come up with some kind of bubble scenario, or unless treatments get a WHOLE LOT better in the next two months, any attempt at a season is going to be a disaster. Someone will die, or whole teams will get sidelined for weeks, or both.

I was optimistic there would be a vaccine by this fall. That would allow a half season starting in November. I'm less optimistic now. Football players depend on their bodies to make a living. COVID-19 might not kill them, but ti could permanently scar their lungs and thereby reduce their physical performance forever. I doubt they take that risk. New estimates predict a vaccine by early next year. Too late for a football season this year.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Figure out what though? There is literally no way to hold training camp, let alone play a full season, without players and coaches contracting the virus. A bunch of Cowboys and Texans already have it. I want to be optimistic, but unless they come up with some kind of bubble scenario, or unless treatments get a WHOLE LOT better in the next two months, any attempt at a season is going to be a disaster. Someone will die, or whole teams will get sidelined for weeks, or both.

Everybody has their theories/thoughts.  Some are chicken littles, some aren't.  I'm hoping sports start with common sense; we'll see. 

Just now, coachbuns said:

Seriously, you watch nothing on TV, read articles?   Not getting banned for back and forth on this … carry on.

I'm asking you for your sources since you seem to have all the answers, boss. You can PM me the articles or sites you're referencing if you'd like.