NFL News & Notes

Leader

I hope they work out something reasonable because I think it would be a mistake to let Jones go if we have a chance to keep him. I get the cap, and the money, but he is the kind of player you want on the field. He has taken over games. Dude can ball. Last I checked we want to win, and a big part of that is having players like Jones. There are some other ways to create cash. Can't we move on from Turner next season?

Edited by Toddfather

1 minute ago, Toddfather said:

I hope they work out something reasonable because I think it would be a mistake to let Jones go if we have a chance to keep him. I get the cap, and the money, but he is the kind of player you want on the field. He has taken over games. Dude can ball. Last I checked we want to win, and a big part of that is having players like Jones. There are some other ways to create cash. Can't we move on from Turner next season?

Jones isn’t an incredible player.  LaFleur could turn a lot of okay backs into pro bowlers.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Siman08/OH said:

Y’all are crazy. Remember how bad we looked up until we let Jones go wild late in 2018?

And we DONT want to pay him? He’s a special player that makes our offense click. We’re obviously never going to invest in a pricey WR so why not keep our young duel threat RB?

So you just watched the best RB in the NFL get shut down completely and came to conclusion that RB is the spot that matters?

2 hours ago, Siman08/OH said:

Y’all are crazy. Remember how bad we looked up until we let Jones go wild late in 2018?

And we DONT want to pay him? He’s a special player that makes our offense click. We’re obviously never going to invest in a pricey WR so why not keep our young duel threat RB?

We have to worry about paying our franchise LT first. We also just drafted a RB in the 2nd round. We also got King and Jaire looming.

11 hours ago, Siman08/OH said:

Why? Because they haven’t drafted one in the first round?

Who says GB won’t invest in pricey WRs?

50 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Thats the one that happened this time. Got the nerve sorted via surgery. So if that occurd again go ahead and throw the flag. 

Is LVR more prone to broken bones than the next player? Because thats what you insinuated.

I insinuated he’s more injury prone, which is true so far in his short career. Some people just are. 

So...a lot of potential free agent running backs have been locked up.  With every contract or extension signed, Jones' pricetag grows.  The Ekler deal is now the outlier and not one to build around.  Cook is probably the contract to study as that is probably his benchmark.

And without knowing specifics of that deal, I think it is wise to pass on Jones.  We just drafted a RB in the second round, so we are covered.  And we can draft another one next year.  All while potentially bringing the steady J Williams back at a very modest price, if we want that insurance policy.

I just looked at Spotrac for 2021 free agent running backs and I dare say that Jones is far and away the best of the available bunch.  Spotrac has his contract estimated at 13.3M/year.  4 years, $53M.  Though I love Jones, that is too rich for my blood.  Thinking GB will make an offer, then let him test free agency and then negotiate.  And really, he should sign somewhere else and we should take that comp pick.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

I insinuated he’s more injury prone, which is true so far in his short career. Some people just are. 

There was a study on that trying to figure out what makes some people more injury prone.  Justin Harrell was supposed to be one of the subjects.  Has anyone heard anything else about that? I just read about the idea a few years ago, but never heard about it again.

57 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

So...a lot of potential free agent running backs have been locked up.  ...

That is true.  But those are also a lot of teams that are NOT on the RB market anymore. 

I wonder how many teams there really are wanting to spend $50 on an outside RB?  

Also, I wonder if sometimes teams are almost more willing to spend these strong contracts on guys who they know and trust, and who they know work within their offense.  Whereas to bring in a guy from a different team, will he work as well within our scheme and our line as he did where he came from?  

I guess I'm wondering whether Jones won't end up costing less than we worry about.  Also, *if* the Packers offense is more diversified, his numbers may not look as good this year.  Likewise *if* he's running behind this patchwork o-line, it may be much harder than last year?  

3 minutes ago, craig said:

That is true.  But those are also a lot of teams that are NOT on the RB market anymore. --Only takes one team.  Even the Texans took on D. Johnson's enormous contract in that trade.

I wonder how many teams there really are wanting to spend $50 on an outside RB?  --Again, it only takes one.  Guessing the Texans, if they move on from Johnson.  Miami.  49ers would love him.  Chicago.  Jags.  Falcons maybe.  Seattle.  Those are just off the top of my head.

Also, I wonder if sometimes teams are almost more willing to spend these strong contracts on guys who they know and trust, and who they know work within their offense.  Whereas to bring in a guy from a different team, will he work as well within our scheme and our line as he did where he came from?  -I think you look at age and mileage first.  Jones is young with not a lot of mileage.  He will be a highly sought after free agent if he gets out there.  No doubt.

I guess I'm wondering whether Jones won't end up costing less than we worry about.  --I'm not sure how he is worth much less than what Cook just signed for.  Also, *if* the Packers offense is more diversified, his numbers may not look as good this year.  Likewise *if* he's running behind this patchwork o-line, it may be much harder than last year?  -Even that "patchwork" line is quite good.  If Rodgers is Godgers for a full year, as a DC, are you devoting men to stop the run or pass??  I think you play cat and mouse with Rodgers.  And that will open up the running game at some point.  Even in a quiet week, Jones had a nice game last week.

No matter how I look at it, Jones is getting paid.  I won't whine if it is with us, because I do really like that kid.  He is special.  But, the wiser move is to offer him a below market deal, and see if he moves on, while taking that comp pick.