NFL News & Notes

Leader

PFT is reporting Jared Veldheer is visiting Cowboys. So I guess the Packers weren't happy with him,or thought Turner and Wagner were clear upgrades for some reason.

Though, Veldeer got on the field before Patrick, where Wagner got on the field after Patrick. But we'll just have to wait and see if Turner and Wagner were worth the extra money, or if we should have went with Veldeer. Who knows...

2 hours ago, Beast said:

PFT is reporting Jared Veldheer is visiting Cowboys. So I guess the Packers weren't happy with him,or thought Turner and Wagner were clear upgrades for some reason.

Though, Veldeer got on the field before Patrick, where Wagner got on the field after Patrick. But we'll just have to wait and see if Turner and Wagner were worth the extra money, or if we should have went with Veldeer. Who knows...

Patrick has had a full year to improve again.  Perhaps 2020 Patrick is better than 2019 Patrick? 

I'll venture a guess.  They are correct not to get Veldheer on board long term.  But they are incorrect spending on Wagner and Turner as well.  

6 hours ago, Leader said:

It will be interesting to see the GBP offense w/o Jone's productivity. Those TDs come in handy. Would put the "is it the player or the system" question in stark relief. Hopefully we dont get to see that this year because of injury.

Fair question here.  How many of Jones' TD's last year were from the goalline?

I only ask because I think a fair number came right at the goalline.  Those scores could be passes from Rodgers, and they certainly were in the past.

Or....I feel like Dillon is at least as good on the goalline as Jones.  He's gonna move a pile better, but he isn't bouncing outside, which Jones uses a lot and is great at.

Jones outside of there?  Yah, he's TONS more explosive, dynamic and electric.  That would be missed.  The long TD's would be missed, no doubt.  

But I think the goalline stuff is handled already.

Guess I feel like Jones' TD's last year were as much a result of scheme and MLF than it was anything else.  Mac's scheme was pass down there, and Rodgers excelled.  Wouldn't shock me if Rodgers gets 5 more TD's this year on the goalline and Jones' number of TD's down there shrinks.  Also wouldn't shock me if Jones still gets a lot of TD's in the goalline packages and maybe Dillon vultures a couple from him.

It'll be interesting to watch.  This I know.  Jones is a dynamic running back.  If he leaves, he will be missed.  We can argue contracts for running backs all day long, but in the end, he's a quality football player and would be missed.

26 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Patrick has had a full year to improve again.  Perhaps 2020 Patrick is better than 2019 Patrick? 

I'll venture a guess.  They are correct not to get Veldheer on board long term.  But they are incorrect spending on Wagner and Turner as well.  

Maybe, but I think Veldeer got a one year $3.5 million deal last year, so in theory he'd be willing to take a one year deal.

Wagner got a two year $11 million deal ($5.5 per year), which I believe suggest they liked the idea of Wagner more than the idea of Veldeer. (If released before 2021 could save $4.25 million)

Turner got four year, $28 million deal ($7 million per year) which I think suggest they thought he could start at RT after Bulaga. (If released before 2021 could save $11.65 million over two years or $5.825 million per year on average).

The Turner deal was designed so he can be cut after 2 years (he gets 2Y/17M year). He'll probably get cut after this year and one the cheap guys will replace him. Veldheer is 33 and before last year, when he played the entire season in 2018 (and 2019) he was pretty average. It's quite normal to think that if he played all 16 games he wouldn't have played like he did with us for 35 snaps last year.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Fair question here.  How many of Jones' TD's last year were from the goalline?

I only ask because I think a fair number came right at the goalline.  Those scores could be passes from Rodgers, and they certainly were in the past.

Or....I feel like Dillon is at least as good on the goalline as Jones.  He's gonna move a pile better, but he isn't bouncing outside, which Jones uses a lot and is great at.

The use of Dillon sort of confused me on Sunday - 2 random carries around midfield? I think the time I want him on the field is inside the three with Deguara at H back. That's still a versatile set, and you can also just - you know - run it with a back who isn't 5 '8 and just above 200. Unrelated, but I also really disliked the screen calls at the 10 against that defence, terrible use of space.  

2 hours ago, Beast said:

Maybe, but I think Veldeer got a one year $3.5 million deal last year, so in theory he'd be willing to take a one year deal.

Wagner got a two year $11 million deal ($5.5 per year), which I believe suggest they liked the idea of Wagner more than the idea of Veldeer. (If released before 2021 could save $4.25 million)

Turner got four year, $28 million deal ($7 million per year) which I think suggest they thought he could start at RT after Bulaga. (If released before 2021 could save $11.65 million over two years or $5.825 million per year on average).

The Packers only paid Veldheer ~600k, while the Patriots paid him 1.25 million.  He had been getting paid a lot more than that.  Who is to say what his contract demands were after last season.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/jared-veldheer-8234/cash-earnings/

We signed Turner before Veldheer, so that contract was already on the books.  It seems like the Packers decision makers thought 11/2 for Wagner was better than whatever the price for Veldheer would have been.

15 hours ago, oldmansmell said:

The use of Dillon sort of confused me on Sunday - 2 random carries around midfield? I think the time I want him on the field is inside the three with Deguara at H back. That's still a versatile set, and you can also just - you know - run it with a back who isn't 5 '8 and just above 200. Unrelated, but I also really disliked the screen calls at the 10 against that defence, terrible use of space.  

Safe to say we had to feel our way around the red zone a little bit.

Regarding Dillon, I think they are just bringing him along slowly.  Very much agree that he's better used on the goalline.  It'll be a slow progression for him, as he has two vets in front of him right now.  

23 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Packers will have to work up a new deal for Davante Adams pretty soon as well.  Robert Woods just got paid.

Woods and the Rams have agreed to a four-year contract extension with $32 million guaranteed and a maximum value of $68 million, according to multiple reports.

He's got another year, so we should wait a year unless he's willing to give a discount or decent price on his contract, and we can't afford to pay everyone everything...

After all Aaron Jones market is over $12 million per year and David Bakhtiari market is over $18 million per year and he's reportedly wanting to be over the top paid current LT which is $22 million per year.

So those two (if resigned) would be $30 to $38 million per year (if no franchise tag is used), of course minus Bak's currently deal of $12 million per year makes that look a bit better, to $18 million to $26 million. (Not adding Jones' contract as some rookie contract would probably replace it).

Not to mention Linsley and King being FAs as well...

On 9/16/2020 at 1:11 PM, Beast said:

I think they also saw Jenkins was an option at Tackle.