NFL News & Notes

Leader

The issue is there is no simple solution. The closest is just create a week 18 with the expectations most teams will have to play because they will have been impacted by covid (either directly or indirectly). Meaning teams gets 2 bye weeks this year.

The danger is say if your the chiefs, packers, Seahawks, etc and none of your games are rescheduled and your 2nd bye comes in week 18... and you have the top seed bye too. That’s 2 weeks with no football going into the divisional round.

If they can’t figure out a way to rework with the 1 bye week and trying to fit extra games on like a Monday or Thursday... it might get messy fast.

It will be interesting to see how they handle it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Green19 said:

The issue is there is no simple solution. The closest is just create a week 18 with the expectations most teams will have to play because they will have been impacted by covid (either directly or indirectly). Meaning teams gets 2 bye weeks this year.

The danger is say if your the chiefs, packers, Seahawks, etc and none of your games are rescheduled and your 2nd bye comes in week 18... and you have the top seed bye too. That’s 2 weeks with no football going into the divisional round.

If they can’t figure out a way to rework with the 1 bye week and trying to fit extra games on like a Monday or Thursday... it might get messy fast.

It will be interesting to see how they handle it.

That's basically what I was saying too. If they were planning to reschedule games, you would think they'd have some extra weeks open to play those extra games. So I don't think they're planning to reschedule games.

And I think Goodell said they're unlikely to cancel games... so it'll be interesting to see if they cancel or try to play the games.

If they do cancel the Titans and Vikings game, then their opponents in theory (Texans and Steelers) could play each other for the second week in a row... just change who has home field.

5 hours ago, Beast said:

I'm not sure why you claimed I blame Goodell for positive test... Goodell is NOT at fault for positive tests, unless maybe he personal got it and spread it, which is not the case here...

I was suggesting if they were planning to reschedule games at a later point in the season (which I said I don't believe is the case), they would need open weeks to place that rescheduled games, and should have created the open weeks for potential rescheduled games (which again, I don't believe is their plan).

Must have misread that i guess.......hmmmm. I did not think you blamed him for covid just that there would be blame at all. Why would anyone blame him or anyone it will happen it has happenend it's just part of life. Anyone that blames the commish for a covid issue is an idiot. They seem to have planned well for what they have to do.

If I read those tea leaves correctly, Goodell was suggesting he has formed a committee that he's going to blame (to take pressure off of him), and when people come down with Covid, they're most likely going to saying "tough ****", keep playing with the healthy players you have. 

Edited by PACKRULE

17 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Must have misread that i guess.......hmmmm. I did not think you blamed him for covid just that there would be blame at all. Why would anyone blame him or anyone it will happen it has happenend it's just part of life. Anyone that blames the commish for a covid issue is an idiot. They seem to have planned well for what they have to do.

If I read those tea leaves correctly, Goodell was suggesting he has formed a committee that he's going to blame (to take pressure off of him), and when people come down with Covid, they're most likely going to saying "tough ****", keep playing with the healthy players you have. 

I don't think you understand what I meant, and I'm.quite tired so not sure if I can explain this right... so I'll try to give an example.

If Titans got Covid including 5 to 10 of their key or star players before a key game... and the NFL told them tough luck, they have to sit and the rest of the team still has to play, and they're clearly going to lose without those key players...

You can be sure some fans will be upset that had to play a key game without their key players, not that it was anyone's fault.

Where Goodell would say it was the Covid committee's decision, using the committee as the fall guy... saying it was their decision and not his decision...

When in my opinion, the decision was kinda made before there was a committee... so those guys are giving input and trying to help decide and improve things, but the NFL sorta said from day 1, and pushed the idea that it's a next man up when it came eto Covid and they weren't cancelling games unless they really really had to.

So there absolutely would be blame, because fans would be upset at a loss that certain players couldn't play in (especially for those whom don't believe Covid is a big deal)... 

I'm just saying I believe Goodell will say it was the committees decision, when the decision was basically made before the committee was formed. Just my opinion.