NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:
  8 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Can you make a running list of the FA’s you want so we can cross them off when GB doesn’t sign them. 

You don't think 38 would help our team? Or are you just  deliberately being obtuse? 

At least I know the answer for you Norm. 

Same as opinion above, but yeah. There's plenty of guys and I wish he'd do a little more but we can't pour out liquor for EVERY single guy we don't sign. I thought he'd send up back here this year though.

I am a fan of Tramon.  He is one of my all-time favorites.  But so far, Sullivan has been lights out at the slot CB, and last time we tried Tramon outside, most of you guys wanted him run out of town.  Getting snaps for Jackson and Hollman is important with a big decision whether or not to retain King in the offseason looming.  Tramon would just muddy that, and again, he does not stop the run.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am a fan of Tramon.  He is one of my all-time favorites.  But so far, Sullivan has been lights out at the slot CB, and last time we tried Tramon outside, most of you guys wanted him run out of town.  Getting snaps for Jackson and Hollman is important with a big decision whether or not to retain King in the offseason looming.  Tramon would just muddy that, and again, he does not stop the run.

I just don’t see that Jackson and Hollman have shown up.  A few flash plays and in Jackson’s case, some very bad penalties. Of course they will still get some chances and hopefully grow. Tramon doesn’t have to come in as a starter, we wouldn’t be paying him to be but if we are making a run and get hit at that position, there are very few people we could bring in with the knowledge of the system and, at least last year, the skills to get use through a game. 

I’m not saying Tramon is the missing piece to our championship, I’m saying instead of calling Stanford Samuels up last week we could have a capable veteran who is also a great guy in the lockeroom. 

11 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

f7FdEdG_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

And this is why the Packers don't often go out and get big name additions. 

They believe strongly in DRAFT and DEVELOP.

It works flawlessly for our offensive line.  We have arguably the best offensive line in football.  Worst case scenario it is top 5.  Our biggest investment there is our worst player there.  Our highest draft pick there is about to be our best player there. 

It's our defense that's behind on the DEVELOP part of this plan. 

Just went to PFF for the first time in a long time.  Checked out Blake Martinez.

Through 9 games, 92 combined tackles.  54 solo, 38 assists.  6 tackles for loss.  5 QB hits.  2 sacks.  1 forced fumble.  1 interception.  PFF grade of 80.4.  6'th best in the league.

Our "best" ILB per PFF is Ty Summers with a score of 45.1, good enough for #61 of ranked ILB's.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Just went to PFF for the first time in a long time.  Checked out Blake Martinez. Through 9 games, 92 combined tackles.  54 solo, 38 assists.  6 tackles for loss.  5 QB hits.  2 sacks.  1 forced fumble.  1 interception.  PFF grade of 80.4.  6'th best in the league. Our "best" ILB per PFF is Ty Summers with a score of 45.1, good enough for #61 of ranked ILB's.

Although Martinez's departure was more $$$ related than performance, the GBPs undervaluing the ILB position puzzles me. We ever get a really good one - and support him with some kind of scheme - our eyes are gonna open wide. Maybe one day. Maybe.

21 minutes ago, Leader said:

Although Martinez's departure was more $$$ related than performance, the GBPs undervaluing the ILB position puzzles me. We ever get a really good one - and support him with some kind of scheme - our eyes are gonna open wide. Maybe one day. Maybe.

if my aunt had.....aw, never mind.

51 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Just went to PFF for the first time in a long time.  Checked out Blake Martinez.

Through 9 games, 92 combined tackles.  54 solo, 38 assists.  6 tackles for loss.  5 QB hits.  2 sacks.  1 forced fumble.  1 interception.  PFF grade of 80.4.  6'th best in the league.

Our "best" ILB per PFF is Ty Summers with a score of 45.1, good enough for #61 of ranked ILB's.

I don't think PFF has any clue what our ILBs are supposed to be doing in Pettine's scheme. Hell I don't think our ILBs have any clue what they're supposed to be doing in Pettine's scheme.

I'll take Brynes and Martin for 2m over Blake at 10 any day of the week. That's just the eye test telling me I'm right.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't think PFF has any clue what our ILBs are supposed to be doing in Pettine's scheme. Hell I don't think our ILBs have any clue what they're supposed to be doing in Pettine's scheme.

I'll take Brynes and Martin for 2m over Blake at 10 any day of the week. That's just the eye test telling me I'm right.

Agree.  But also, Blake's kind of killing it this year.  Happy for him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I tend to think this is more of an indictment of the way Pettine uses ILB's vs an indictment of the players themselves.  Does PFF show grades for Martinez during his last couple seasons in GB?

But a couple loud-mouthes kept screaming Martinez was terrible. Where's the disconnect?

Honestly not surprising. Those who shat on Martinez here had no idea he was actually a good player. PFF should replace our ILB grades with the Pettine grade.

I wish we could have kept Martinez cheap and invested in the DL. But I'm also not sad we didn't pay Martinez because it's a replaceable position.

Glad to see him playing well for an irrelevant team.

• Like 1