NFL News & Notes

Leader

Ian Rapoport -    A big few days for the Lions, as their head coaching search accelerates. They’ll speak with: Bucs DC Todd Bowles, Saints TEs coach and assistant head coach Dan Campbell, and Titans OC Arthur Smith over the next couple dyas.

Ian Rapoport  -   Former Falcons coach Dan Quinn spent Saturday interviewing for the vacant Cowboys defensive coordinator job, source says. He joins Falcons secondary coach Joe Whitt and Panthers defensive passing game coordinator Jason Simmons as the three known candidates.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Seems like the organization isn't pleased he tanked that last game.

I think this is more about trying to save the relationship with Wentz. The tanking was actually a good thing once all the dust settles because you held onto pick 6 versus 9. This tells me the org wants to keep Wentz and that wasn't happening with Doug in town.

14 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think this is more about trying to save the relationship with Wentz. The tanking was actually a good thing once all the dust settles because you held onto pick 6 versus 9. This tells me the org wants to keep Wentz and that wasn't happening with Doug in town.

Roseman survives an organization that has now jettisoned two of their better coaches in 10 years.

Maaaaaaybe they should go for the GM instead of the coach who made it to the playoffs in 3 of his 5 years as coach. Including one Super Bowl.

Edited by Striker

43 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Seems like the organization isn't pleased he tanked that last game.

He threatened to quit last season/beginning of this season after management wanted the OC fired.

So seemingly this was in the works given how the season went.

I really admire Robinson.  That is a very, very talented WR.  I checked Spotrac to see if there were contending teams that could afford to pay him.  Here is what I've got.

Jags 73+ in cap space.  He isn't going back.

Jets 61+ in cap space.  Maybe that's a spot to get paid, but not to get paid and win.

Colts 60+ in cap space.  Unknown QB situation.  Aging Hilton.  It's a maybe.

Patriots 54+ in cap space.  Same as above.  Maybe the Hoodie has a plan that could entice him, but I don't think they pay much for older vets.  Could be wrong about that.

WFT 40+ in cap space.  No real QB.  But if they got one, that could be a place to win (with that defense) and get paid.

Bengals 34 in cap space.  Qb coming off of injury.  Established Tyler Boyd.  Maybe.

Bucs 22 in cap space.  Couple good/great WR's over there already.

Browns 24+ in cap space.  With Landry and OBJ under contract next year (and possibly other years).  I don't see that as a landing spot.

Ravens 24+ in cap space.  That is an interesting spot.  They could use a great WR like him and could pay him.

Dolphins.  23 in cap space.  That is an intriguing one.  They have Parker, Tua and what looks like a very good coach.

Chargers.  22 in cap space.  Have a couple good WR, good young QB.  Maybe.

Seahawks.  15M.  I don't see it considering what they have at WR.

49ers.  14+.  Two good, young WR there already.

Cowboys 10+ in cap space.  With Gallup, Lamb and Cooper under contract.  Don't see it happening.

Broncos 10+ in cap space.  No QB.  Jeudy already on the roster.  Again, maybe a payday, but not a win and payday spot. 

And that is about what I have for teams with cap space for him.

To me, it looks like if he wants to win, he may need to take a well below market deal to get it done.  Ravens seem like a good fit if he wants to win and get paid.  Though he won't get the volume of touches that he is used to.