NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Absolutely. Is there some example of starting caliber players becoming available for free late in the year that Thompson walked away from? 

The man went the entire 2015-16 season with Ladarius Gunter as CB1. I loved Ted, he was not Ron Wolf or Gute at all when it comes to midseason waiver claims or vet additions.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Howard Green, Ryan Grant, and Matt Flynn all immediately leap to mind in this discussion. 

They certainly helped when they were signed .. to bad TT didn't do more of that to fill other holes when needed.  He was indeed the draft and develop king.  

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

The man went the entire 2015-16 season with Ladarius Gunter as CB1. I loved Ted, he was not Ron Wolf or Gute at all when it comes to midseason waiver claims or vet additions.

I would argue that Hyde and Randall as the #2 and #3 really meant we just had 3 below average starters and there wasn't a ton of ground to gain as far as adding bodies, but that's a fair point.

It doesn't address the point being made here though. The Harrison and Veldheer acquisitions are an extreme rarity and a completely unique situation respectively. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I would argue that Hyde and Randall as the #2 and #3 really meant we just had 3 below average starters and there wasn't a ton of ground to gain as far as adding bodies, but that's a fair point.

It doesn't address the point being made here though. The Harrison and Veldheer acquisitions are an extreme rarity and a completely unique situation respectively. 

Tyler Ervin, Tavon Austin, Chandon Sullivan, Daffney, I mean Gute churns up the bottom of the roster far more than Ted ever did in season.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Tyler Ervin, Tavon Austin, Chandon Sullivan, Daffney, I mean Gute churns up the bottom of the roster far more than Ted ever did in season.

Two returners, a camp body CB and an UDFA TE call up from the PS?

https://www.packers.com/team/transactions/2021

I'm not seeing a change in the amount of churn that happened pre/post Gute? Obviously this year is different with the NFL punting the Practice Squad rules entirely out the window.

+++

That isn't the point of the conversation though. Gute got Harrison and Veldheer for less cap hit than I make in a year. It's one thing to make the argument that Thompson should have done more with late season additions. It's another thing to just say nonsense like that. 

14 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Two returners, a camp body CB and an UDFA TE call up from the PS?

https://www.packers.com/team/transactions/2021

I'm not seeing a change in the amount of churn that happened pre/post Gute? Obviously this year is different with the NFL punting the Practice Squad rules entirely out the window.

+++

That isn't the point of the conversation though. Gute got Harrison and Veldheer for less cap hit than I make in a year. It's one thing to make the argument that Thompson should have done more with late season additions. It's another thing to just say nonsense like that. 

I honestly don't get your argument. We shouldn't applaud Gute because they were cheap?

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The problem isn't applauding Gute. 

The problem is talking nonsense about Thompson. 

Early to mid TT era ... agreed, he did a good job.  Last few years of his era ... not so good.  That being said, Gute did a fine job in picking up some extra pieces to help fortify the troops the next few games.