NFL News & Notes

Leader

21 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'd jettison Preston for Hicks in a heartbeat.

He's not going anywhere.

Chicago is in the same boat Houston was last year. Lame duck HC/GM (in Houston it was the same guy ha), they're not going to sell anything, more like try to buy. If they don't turn it around next year, you're looking at two unemployed guys.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He's not going anywhere.

Chicago is in the same boat Houston was last year. Lame duck HC/GM (in Houston it was the same guy ha), they're not going to sell anything, more like try to buy. If they don't turn it around next year, you're looking at two unemployed guys.

didn't Houston "sell" Hopkins (and Clowney to lesser extent) w/ the lame duck?

(while also being buyers on Tunsil)

• Like 1

Ironically I'm pretty sure Mitch was at least sort of a Packers fan and we kinda ruined his career. If he didn't have to play us he'd probably have a long term contract. He's like 24-9 with a QB rating in the mid 90s the last 3 years against the rest of the league but 1-5 with a QB rating around 70 against us. 

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I was going to point out that Hou made a number of questionable moves. Sure Hopkins was reportedly unhappy but that trade for an all world WR was laughable.  We can only hope that Pace has a bit of BOB in him in his swan song.

18 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Those were just guys BOB didn't get along with. He was a moron, but tried to win. That's why he got David Johnson back in one trade, and other players from Seattle back in the other.

Ian Rapoport -  The Falcons have identified Saints VP/Assistant GM for Pro Personnel Terry Fontenot as the favorite to be their next GM, sources say. They won’t do a deal until New Orleans is out of the playoffs, but signs point to him being the choice.

///

The Saints are on the cusp of cap hell....so the GM ranks are walking out the door.

Its interesting to see that the people close to Shanahan, McVay and LaFleur circle are gradually taking up Head Coaching positions around the NFL. Several coaches are benefiting from being part of this circle in some shape or form.

Zac Taylor is the Bengals head coach

Robert Saleh is very close part of that circle and is likely about to become a head coach within days.

Arthur Smith is likely to become a head coach very soon too.

Nathaniel Hackett is generating some interest as a potential HC candidate.

Mike McDaniel and Mike LaFleur could be looked at as potential HC candidates within the next couple of years.

Mike Shanahan may have retired way back in 2013 but his influence in the NFL remains very strong to this day as the decisions he made stemming all the way back in 2010 began a seismic shift on the NFL coaching landscape.

Edited by Chili

If Arthur Smith wants to run some variation of Titans/LaFleur's offensive scheme in Atlanta which I think he will as coaches tend to stick with something that brought them success in the NFL, then he is going to want a solid running game.

Of course there's the Jets with Mike LaFleur who will be bringing Shanahan's scheme to New York and will want to do the same thing.

I bet both will be all over Aaron Jones in free agency if he's available. Jones is in a great position as he can create a bidding war for his services.

I'm calling it now. Aaron Jones to Atlanta or New York Jets. My money is on Atlanta because it's the state where he was born and close to Tennessee where he once lived.

3 hours ago, Chili said:

If Arthur Smith wants to run some variation of Titans/LaFleur's offensive scheme in Atlanta which I think he will as coaches tend to stick with something that brought them success in the NFL, then he is going to want a solid running game.

Of course there's the Jets with Mike LaFleur who will be bringing Shanahan's scheme to New York and will want to do the same thing.

I bet both will be all over Aaron Jones in free agency if he's available. Jones is in a great position as he can create a bidding war for his services.

I'm calling it now. Aaron Jones to Atlanta or New York Jets. My money is on Atlanta because it's the state where he was born and close to Tennessee where he once lived.

I won't pretend to have looked into how ATL could potentially free up cap space, but on the surface it appears that the Falcons cap situation for 2021 is not good.  Spotrac currently shows ATL with the 3rd highest amount of 2021 cap space already committed, with only PHI and NO in worse shape.