Jump to content

NFL News & Notes


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Leader said:

ESPN -  The Detroit Lions are expected to hire Saints assistant head coach/tight ends coach Dan Campbell as their next head coach.

I am no expert and I don´t really know Campbell but with Bieniemy still out there I don´t understand this hire. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Clay Matthews III  -    This is my dad’s last year as a modern era finalist for the HOF. I ask that all media voting tomorrow dive deeper into his career and you’ll see his enshrinement is long overdue.

His numbers are as good, if not better, than so many current, and deserving, members of the HOF. His longevity is unheard of. And his ability to do it all made him invaluable.

The words spoken about his play from so many of his peers, many of whom are currently in the HOF, only strengthen his resume. Clay Matthews Jr. deserves to be in the HOF!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Leader said:

Clay Matthews III  -    This is my dad’s last year as a modern era finalist for the HOF. I ask that all media voting tomorrow dive deeper into his career and you’ll see his enshrinement is long overdue.

His numbers are as good, if not better, than so many current, and deserving, members of the HOF. His longevity is unheard of. And his ability to do it all made him invaluable.

The words spoken about his play from so many of his peers, many of whom are currently in the HOF, only strengthen his resume. Clay Matthews Jr. deserves to be in the HOF!

I've heard it said that if Clay Matthews Jr. had been allowed to play either OLB or ILB full time, his HOF credentials would be unquestionable. 

Either one of 70 sacks and 1600 tackles would be an incredible career, to do it in the same career is just unbelievable. 

He and Junior Seau are very comparable statistically. 

The lack of accolades undoubtedly hurts his case and maybe even sinks it considering the asinine HOF voting restrictions, but man if he had played for anybody other than a busted *** Browns team for his entire prime, he would be in. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Leader said:

Clay Matthews III  -    This is my dad’s last year as a modern era finalist for the HOF. I ask that all media voting tomorrow dive deeper into his career and you’ll see his enshrinement is long overdue.

His numbers are as good, if not better, than so many current, and deserving, members of the HOF. His longevity is unheard of. And his ability to do it all made him invaluable.

The words spoken about his play from so many of his peers, many of whom are currently in the HOF, only strengthen his resume. Clay Matthews Jr. deserves to be in the HOF!

Not that it means much, but as a young man I remember his dad playing. He was a great representative of the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, AustrianPacker said:

I am no expert and I don´t really know Campbell but with Bieniemy still out there I don´t understand this hire. 

They are upset they didn’t hire Vrabel last go around. Campbell is very similar to him. They want a culture builder... they don’t want xs and os. They want those guys to believe they can win and win consistently, even though the history of the franchise is what it is.

What I don’t get is the simple... oh Eric B should get a job. Both Nagy and Doug haven’t been great. Granted Doug won a super bowl, but it looks like he had a strong staff with Riech etc that likely help. And for it only being 3 years ago... it feels like a decade ago with how quickly that team fell apart.

But it’s not the most fruitful coaching tree, not as bad as Belichick... but it feels like you want Reid more than his hires. Where as that Washington Shannon tree is looking like pure gold at this point, will be very interesting to see how the Jets do. If they get back to winning in a year or two... every team is going to run a Shannon like system.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, AustrianPacker said:

I am no expert and I don´t really know Campbell but with Bieniemy still out there I don´t understand this hire. 

I don't know why anybody says this.

What has Bieniemy done really? 

He was running backs coach at Colorado, then UCLA, then Minnesota.

Then he went on to become the offensive coordinator in Colorado for one year.

Then the Chiefs running back coach for 4 years.

Now their offensive coordinator. 

Unless I'm mistaken, he doesn't call plays and he's the offensive coordinator of a team with a roster that made Matt Nagy look like a fantastic hire. 

Conversley, Dan Campbell has been an interim head coach and already has a 5-7 record as a head coach.  His first two games as a head coach he won 38-10 and 44-26.  Went 5-7 with 2 of his losses by one score. 

I'm not suggesting Bieniemy isn't a good head coaching candidate, but if he was as good as half the people said he was he would be a head coach. 

I mean... Look no further than within the Lions division.  Bears hired Matt Nagy and with all that talent on defense and all the pieces they added on offense, they're a one and done playoff team in year three now. 

It's the same thing as hiring a Belichick defensive guy.

If you've got a head coach who is a defensive minded genius and who has some great pieces on his defense who has had a great defense for literally 90% of their career and you hire one of his defensive coordinators, probably not getting that defensive mind but a disciple of that mind.  Bill O'Brien, Mangini, Crennell, Schwartz, McDaniels, Patricia... All failed as head coaches from Belichick's tree. 

And it's not just the Lions.  There are like... I don't even know, Eagles, Chargers, Jets, Jaguars, Falcons, Lions, Texans.  There are seven teams looking for new head coaches.  It's not just one team that hasn't hired Bienimy, it's 7 teams so far.  

Now knowing it's the Lions, knowing they were close to picking Campbell before Patricia (if I recall correctly), and knowing how that franchise is run, yeah, Campbell is probably the terrible choice.  Still, do any of the great coach hirings make sense?  Do any of the terrible hirings look terrible?

It's always the guy you go, "Who?!?" that turn out the best.  LaFleur is a great example of this.  Even McCarthy (he won a Super Bowl, which less than 40 coaches in the history of the game have done) seemed like a terrible choice.  Ray Rhodes, Bart Starr... Those ones seemed like great hires.

So I just don't get this reaction from everyone.  How do you know who a great head coach is?  Did you interview them? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Adam Schefter -   Saints’ WR Michael Thomas is likely to have surgeries on both the torn deltoid and other injured ligaments in his high ankle this offseason. He knew it was likely Drew Brees’ last year and didn’t want to miss out trying win a Super Bowl with him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pacman5252 said:

Dumb question, if a player (like Tramon) is waived right now, could he play?

It crossed my mind, as well. I don’t see why not, contractually. Sign him up if we think  he can help us on our SB run. As long as everyone is healthy, I don’t see it but would love the move. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I don't know why anybody says this.

What has Bieniemy done really? 

He was running backs coach at Colorado, then UCLA, then Minnesota.

Then he went on to become the offensive coordinator in Colorado for one year.

Then the Chiefs running back coach for 4 years.

Now their offensive coordinator. 

Unless I'm mistaken, he doesn't call plays and he's the offensive coordinator of a team with a roster that made Matt Nagy look like a fantastic hire. 

Conversley, Dan Campbell has been an interim head coach and already has a 5-7 record as a head coach.  His first two games as a head coach he won 38-10 and 44-26.  Went 5-7 with 2 of his losses by one score. 

I'm not suggesting Bieniemy isn't a good head coaching candidate, but if he was as good as half the people said he was he would be a head coach. 

I mean... Look no further than within the Lions division.  Bears hired Matt Nagy and with all that talent on defense and all the pieces they added on offense, they're a one and done playoff team in year three now. 

It's the same thing as hiring a Belichick defensive guy.

If you've got a head coach who is a defensive minded genius and who has some great pieces on his defense who has had a great defense for literally 90% of their career and you hire one of his defensive coordinators, probably not getting that defensive mind but a disciple of that mind.  Bill O'Brien, Mangini, Crennell, Schwartz, McDaniels, Patricia... All failed as head coaches from Belichick's tree. 

And it's not just the Lions.  There are like... I don't even know, Eagles, Chargers, Jets, Jaguars, Falcons, Lions, Texans.  There are seven teams looking for new head coaches.  It's not just one team that hasn't hired Bienimy, it's 7 teams so far.  

Now knowing it's the Lions, knowing they were close to picking Campbell before Patricia (if I recall correctly), and knowing how that franchise is run, yeah, Campbell is probably the terrible choice.  Still, do any of the great coach hirings make sense?  Do any of the terrible hirings look terrible?

It's always the guy you go, "Who?!?" that turn out the best.  LaFleur is a great example of this.  Even McCarthy (he won a Super Bowl, which less than 40 coaches in the history of the game have done) seemed like a terrible choice.  Ray Rhodes, Bart Starr... Those ones seemed like great hires.

So I just don't get this reaction from everyone.  How do you know who a great head coach is?  Did you interview them? 

I had the reaction of why the hell would they hire Campbell at first; then thought about it and how we all felt when McCarthy was hired and then Lafleur and your spot on. It seems like the so called "questionable" hires are often the ones that work out. I blame the media for hyping specific candidates and that is what happening in my opinion with Bienemy. I think he may get hired by the Texans due to what they are dealing with in regards to Watson but I do not think it will go well. like you said there is a reason he was passed over so many times last year and again this year thus far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Reaper said:

I had the reaction of why the hell would they hire Campbell at first; then thought about it and how we all felt when McCarthy was hired and then Lafleur and your spot on. It seems like the so called "questionable" hires are often the ones that work out. I blame the media for hyping specific candidates and that is what happening in my opinion with Bienemy. I think he may get hired by the Texans due to what they are dealing with in regards to Watson but I do not think it will go well. like you said there is a reason he was passed over so many times last year and again this year thus far.

The issue with Bienemy is this simple question... you are the GM/owner of KC and you are forced to remove 1 of these 3: Reid, Mahomes or Bienemy. Who do you remove?

Thats his problem. He isn’t the special in the group... he isn’t even the second special in that group. Plus with guys like Nagy having issues. No one is going to trust that tree, unless he is bringing Mahomes with him.

He needs to do what LaFleur did. He knew McVay would always get the juice. He had to go out on his own to be seen as his own man. Bienemy needs to move on. He should go be the OC for Seattle or Baltimore. Get Wilson a MVP or make Lamar a deadly passer in HIS offense and he would easily have more juice to his name.

Edited by Green19
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...