NFL News & Notes

Leader

23 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Rams tried to get Aaron Rodgers according to PFT.

I wonder if this means teams are smelling smoke, and also if there’s any fire.

Trading Rodgers would make me extremely excited about the potential to build around Love and probably three extra first round picks, but also extremely sad.

I think long run we are better off trading Rodgers now.

If Love is even Josh Allen good, it’s almost a guaranteed Super Bowl in three years.

If Love proves to be Josh Allen good, that's going to be a real kick to the nards for the rest of the NFC North.  I am not sure was "even Josh Allen good" is supposed to mean. He was just outside of giving Rodgers a run for MVP this season.

Edited by Mazrimiv

Ian Rapoport -   The Saints are adding a big-time name on their defensive staff, as sources say they’ll hire former Seahawks DC and Cowboys assistant Kris Richard as their new secondary coach. He fills the spot previously held by Aaron Glenn in Dennis Allen’s defense.

///

One less DC candidate and one less spot for Jerry Gray to move when / if he doesnt get the GB DC gig.

6 hours ago, HeresAGuy said:

We cannot let Kirk cousins leave , we have a holy trinity of suck amongst our division rival quarterbacks.

bears just need to make a trade for Wentz please and thank you 

Unless the vikings trade Cousins to SF for Jimmy G and change.

That would be fun too

On 2/1/2021 at 10:19 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

Gosh.  Am I the only one that thinks Goff stinks?  Like Mitch is no longer the worst QB in the division bad?  

If you listen to Rams fans, McVay "held back" Goff from developing by over-managing him. 

I don't know that I'd say he stinks, but he was in what seemed to be an ideal situation - maybe not any "stud" receivers, but excellent depth at WR and TE, had the support of a good run game 3 out of the past 4 yrs, terrific support from his D, and a consensus offensive wizard at HC. And he looked....OK? Turned the ball over way more than you'd like. 

Rams fans are like "OMG THIS IS A DISASTER" and I said as a GB fan I had Stafford perennially knocking on the door of being a top 10 QB whereas Goff seems more like he's in the 15-20 range. And that's with Stafford in a situation where he was carrying an entire franchise, including the coaching staff, and Goff in a situation where he had oodles of support. 

As a neutral observer, I know which player I'd prefer to have my team's D have to stop. Right now the Rams are a solid #2 team for me to root for next season because I'd be thrilled to see Stafford get some well-earned success. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

If you listen to Rams fans, McVay "held back" Goff from developing by over-managing him. 

I don't know that I'd say he stinks, but he was in what seemed to be an ideal situation - maybe not any "stud" receivers, but excellent depth at WR and TE, had the support of a good run game 3 out of the past 4 yrs, terrific support from his D, and a consensus offensive wizard at HC. And he looked....OK? Turned the ball over way more than you'd like. 

Rams fans are like "OMG THIS IS A DISASTER" and I said as a GB fan I had Stafford perennially knocking on the door of being a top 10 QB whereas Goff seems more like he's in the 15-20 range. And that's with Stafford in a situation where he was carrying an entire franchise, including the coaching staff, and Goff in a situation where he had oodles of support. 

As a neutral observer, I know which player I'd prefer to have my team's D have to stop. Right now the Rams are a solid #2 team for me to root for next season because I'd be thrilled to see Stafford get some well-earned success. 

That is what doesn't make sense to me.  McVay is at the same time a genius and holding back Goff?  Something has to give.  And IMO it is Goff.  20:13 TD:INT is Drew Bledsoe numbers, but with a genius HC and post 2004 rules?  I guess we will see.  If Stafford starts to suck, and Goff lights it up, then I was wrong.  My guess is that Goff is last in TDs in the North, and has the most INTs, if all teams get at least 13 games from preferred starters.

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That is what doesn't make sense to me.  McVay is at the same time a genius and holding back Goff?  Something has to give.  And IMO it is Goff.  20:13 TD:INT is Drew Bledsoe numbers, but with a genius HC and post 2004 rules?  I guess we will see.  If Stafford starts to suck, and Goff lights it up, then I was wrong.  My guess is that Goff is last in TDs in the North, and has the most INTs, if all teams get at least 13 games from preferred starters.

I don't bear any ill will towards Goff, but I'd be surprised if he's anywhere near as good as Stafford was in Det, while I expect Stafford to be....hmmm, I don't know who in LA. Maybe just his standard Stafford numbers but the team is going 12-4 instead of 6-10? 

14 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I don't bear any ill will towards Goff, but I'd be surprised if he's anywhere near as good as Stafford was in Det, while I expect Stafford to be....hmmm, I don't know who in LA. Maybe just his standard Stafford numbers but the team is going 12-4 instead of 6-10? 

It is just the eyeball test for me.  When I watch the Rams, I feel like they are being held back by Goff.  When I watch the Lions, I feel like they are being held back by poor defense and possibly even worse running game.  

To be fair to Goff though, their stats since Goff entered the league in 2016:

Stafford:  GS 72 TD 119 INT 46 YDS 19k

Goff:  GS 69 TD 107 INT 55 YDS 18k

Stafford isn't light years ahead in that, especially considering that includes Goff as a rookie vs Stafford already in his prime.

I still think that Stafford is going to light it up, while Goff is not.  But my opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee... or it used to get you a cup of coffee.  I don't drink coffee, how much does a coffee cost?