NFL News & Notes

Leader

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

So we've cut Preston, now we're an injury away from Garvin starting, or we have to use a top pick on an EDGE. We probably lose King, so we're at Josh Jackson starting and used decent sized money on Watt so we really need a high draft pick at CB as we can't afford to sign one. We've lost Jones and probably Williams, don't really have any high picks left to replace guys in that room, so we're an injury away from calling up TyMon to see what's left in the tank there.

Cutting Preston and paying JJ just doesn't make sense. There's going to be ring chasers this year in the vet class, guys who sign for a year at 2,3,4 mil to chase a ring. There's not many good teams that have cap space, so title chasers won't have a choice but to bite the bullet and sign cheap.

If Watt's one of those guys, great I hope he's a Packer. If he's looking for a long-term deal for 8m+, good luck elsewhere, I'll just move on to the next vet.

This will be and NBA style offseason. We've got our LeBron, who wants to sign for dirt cheap to chase a ring with him? You just keep making calls until you hear "yes."

I expect TB to make these types of signings, not GB. Unfortunately. The front office has shown that it has one foot in the “all in” door and one foot in the “build for the future” door. It’s frustrating. 

23 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I'm very surprised Rodgers is not on the socials trying to recruit JJ.

Has Rodgers ever really done this? I actually wish he did it more the way Brady and Wilson actively try to get guys interested. Maybe Rodgers does do it more discretely, but I can't remember the last time he publicly recruited an outside player.  

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Has Rodgers ever really done this? I actually wish he did it more the way Brady and Wilson actively try to get guys interested. Maybe Rodgers does do it more discretely, but I can't remember the last time he publicly recruited an outside player.  

The other JJ, James Jones is the only one he recruited that I know of. James Jones took a lot less money to come back to GB. He was about to sign a good deal with Pittsburgh but he took 3 million less to come back to play with Aaron. No it isn't his style but I wish it was 

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Wasn't there talk about him talking to Allen Robinson about coming to Green Bay?

Just now, CWood21 said:

Wasn't there talk about him talking to Allen Robinson about coming to Green Bay?

He also got jimmy Graham here too. They apparently talked at pro bowls etc and are good friends off the field. I mean he didn’t publicly campaign on Twitter for him...

but I’m assuming he talks to guys 

43 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

So we've cut Preston, now we're an injury away from Garvin starting, or we have to use a top pick on an EDGE. We probably lose King, so we're at Josh Jackson starting and used decent sized money on Watt so we really need a high draft pick at CB as we can't afford to sign one. We've lost Jones and probably Williams, don't really have any high picks left to replace guys in that room, so we're an injury away from calling up TyMon to see what's left in the tank there.

Cutting Preston and paying JJ just doesn't make sense. There's going to be ring chasers this year in the vet class, guys who sign for a year at 2,3,4 mil to chase a ring. There's not many good teams that have cap space, so title chasers won't have a choice but to bite the bullet and sign cheap.

If Watt's one of those guys, great I hope he's a Packer. If he's looking for a long-term deal for 8m+, good luck elsewhere, I'll just move on to the next vet.

This will be and NBA style offseason. We've got our LeBron, who wants to sign for dirt cheap to chase a ring with him? You just keep making calls until you hear "yes."

Lame argument. Who were Tampa starting OLBs if they lost JJP or Shaq? Who were Chiefs starting if Frank Clark got hurt? You are not going to have high quality depth in a team across the board, you are lucky to have high quality starters at all parts of the roster. P.Smith is our 3rd rusher whose production is easy to replace and he has the 4th highest cap figure on your team. If that is not a luxury I don't know what is!!!! He is an obvious cap casualty. Ideally he would rework a deal to match his dead cap number but that is wishful thinking. 

The question more importantly is what does our D Line have outside of Clark. Diddly! Watt would strengthen a position of weakness. So what if we don't get King back on a cheap deal and instead have a rookie back there. Personally a back 4 that features Jaire, Amos and Savage is better than 80% of the teams out there. Our D Line is much weaker than our Secondary.

We could go out and get a similar player profile to Watt at CB, a guy like Patrick Peterson. But with Watt there is a chance he comes, there is a chance he recaptures his previous form he could be a game changer for us . To pass on that opportunity, if it is an opportunity, it would be a mistake in my mind.

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol.  There's no money for JJ.

There's no money for who we currently have signed. 

And don't say hometown discount.  Don't say it.

JJ might actually WANT to sign with Green Bay, but now that he's a free agent just wait until Pittsburgh offers him the same we can and he can play with his brother.  Just wait until Tampa Bay calls and says, "Brady has 7 Super Bowl wins thanks to defensive players like you."

JJ Watt will not be a Packer. 

Pittsburgh has even less money than we have and they need to get a new OLine.

7 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Lame argument. Who were Tampa starting OLBs if they lost JJP or Shaq? Who were Chiefs starting if Frank Clark got hurt? You are not going to have high quality depth in a team across the board, you are lucky to have high quality starters at all parts of the roster. P.Smith is our 3rd rusher whose production is easy to replace and he has the 4th highest cap figure on your team. If that is not a luxury I don't know what is!!!! He is an obvious cap casualty. Ideally he would rework a deal to match his dead cap number but that is wishful thinking. 

The question more importantly is what does our D Line have outside of Clark. Diddly! Watt would strengthen a position of weakness. So what if we don't get King back on a cheap deal and instead have a rookie back there. Personally a back 4 that features Jaire, Amos and Savage is better than 80% of the teams out there. Our D Line is much weaker than our Secondary.

We could go out and get a similar player profile to Watt at CB, a guy like Patrick Peterson. But with Watt there is a chance he comes, there is a chance he recaptures his previous form he could be a game changer for us . To pass on that opportunity, if it is an opportunity, it would be a mistake in my mind.

Way too many what ifs there. 2019 Preston Smith is better than JJ Watt of the last couple years, Id rather he regain that form.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Way too many what ifs there. 2019 Preston Smith is better than JJ Watt of the last couple years, Id rather he regain that form.

I think your post had too many What If's!!!

Reality is P.Smith is costing us $16m next season and that is 8.48% of the Cap. His production was 4 sacks, 7 TFL and 11 QB hits.

D Line is a weakness. JJ Watt in 2020 had 5 sacks, 14 TFL and 17 QB hits.

Cutting P.Smith saves us $8m, if you spend that $8 on Watt that is a better use of capital across the roster.

Leonherd would’ve been a hell of a lure for JJ to come to GB.  But forget about the woulda, coulda, shouldas.  GB tried, Leonherd said no.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see JJ sign for the vet minimum.  Wouldn’t be surprised at all.  He’s an injury risk, but at the vet minimum, the upsides far outweigh any risk.  There’s really no risk at the vet minimum.  JJ just has to want it.