NFL News & Notes

Leader

Pretty much everyone who has ever argued with me about defense winning championships shut up after the Super Bowl. 

Mahomes wouldn't look like that everywhere, just against great defenses.

Everyone who ever cried about Mahomes having Hardman, Hill, Watkins, the TE whose name I'm brainfarting...

Best QB in the world just looked like Rex Grossman.

QB doesn't matter and it never will the way people think. 

The only thing that matters is having a QB worth his cap hit capable of putting 4 games together and having a defense. 

It gets old being right all the time, and it gets old seeing Brady get that all the time. 

I hate football. 

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Pretty much everyone who has ever argued with me about defense winning championships shut up after the Super Bowl. 

Everyone who ever cried about Mahomes having Hardman, Hill, Watkins, the TE whose name I'm brainfarting...

The only thing that matters is having a QB worth his cap hit capable of putting 4 games together and having a defense. 

It gets old being right all the time, and it gets old seeing Brady get that all the time. 

I hate football. 

The moral I saw is that you can't lose a million OL and expect to hold up against a great defensive line.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

The moral I saw is that you can't lose a million OL and expect to hold up against a great defensive line.

So I haven't gone back and watched the Super Bowl in depth because I don't care, but my understanding is they left their back-up tackles on islands to consistently try to put more people into routes, and refused to run the ball even into extremely light boxes.  Any truth to that?

46 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

So I haven't gone back and watched the Super Bowl in depth because I don't care, but my understanding is they left their back-up tackles on islands to consistently try to put more people into routes, and refused to run the ball even into extremely light boxes.  Any truth to that?

Yup.  All true.  Can't blame them about not running, they were going for big plays.

But in the passing game, they ran a lot of 4 vertical routes to try to get deep.  Took too long to develop and the DL was whuppin' the OL's tails.

When they ran Hill short, he made plays.  He just didn't run enough of those routes.  

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Adam Schefter -  Philadelphia has agreed to trade Carson Wentz to the Indianapolis Colts in exchange for a 2021 third-round pick and a conditional 2022 second-round pick that could turn into a first.

///

Glad he didnt wind up in Chicago

I like this move for Indy and Wentz. I think Wentz is still a good QB and was kind of hung out to dry by Philly last year due to injury. It likely ends up as a 1st in 2022 as well so the Eagles got a fair return in the deal.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

I like this move for Indy and Wentz. I think Wentz is still a good QB and was kind of hung out to dry by Philly last year due to injury. It likely ends up as a 1st in 2022 as well so the Eagles got a fair return in the deal.

Barring injury, you're probably correct. Wentz is QB 1 from day one.

Adam Schefter -   If Carson Wentz’s playtime is at or above 75% next season, the conditional 2022 second-round pick would become a first-round pick, per sources. The second-round pick also.could become a first if Wentz plays at least 70 percent of the plays and the Colts go to the playoffs.

Ben Fennell -   I love the formula from the Colts Defense

Tackling, Turnovers, Toughness

It's a zone heavy scheme - they give up high percentage of completions, but they prevent explosive plays, limit YAC, keep eyes on mobile QBs.

There are no 'finesse' players - EDGEs are thick, CBs are tough

///

Sounds like my kind of defense.

31 minutes ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

Yea, I do as well. If you look at 2019 Wentz, he threw for 4000yds, 27tds, and 7ints and in 2018 he had a 69.6 completion percentage. He definitely looked rattled last year but it was also a tough circumstance with his team, coaching, and them drafting Hurts.

Now he gets reunited with Frank Reich, a really good offensive line, good running game, good defense, and TY Hilton(if resigned), and Michael Pittman are a decent 1-2. I would say they still need to try and add a TE and another WR plus see if they can get anything out Paris Campbell. They seem to have a decent amount of cap room even with getting Wentz but also have some of their own free agents to figure out. 

Edited by Victor1124

On 2/16/2021 at 8:25 PM, Outpost31 said:

I hate football. 

You also said MLBs don’t matter and not to spend/invest there,  David and White are the 2 most important players on that D.

5 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

You also said MLBs don’t matter and not to spend/invest there,  David and White are the 2 most important players on that D.

Lol no they’re not.

They’re nothing without that line.

70% of ILBs in this league look just as good as those two in that system with those teammates.

There’s a reason why you suddenly stopped hearing about Corey Littleton and Nick K, and it’s the exact same reason Blake Martinez suddenly turned into a plus player.

• Like 2