NFL News & Notes

Leader

2 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Does make me wonder whether the 2nd round tender will be enough to keep teams away.   I had thought so before FA.

I'll gladly take the 2nd round pick if another team is foolish enough to give us one for Tonyan. 

Take the one year with Tonyan on the tender and then let him walk. Wouldn't even consider resigning him for anything close to that amount of money. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'll gladly take the 2nd round pick if another team is foolish enough to give us one for Tonyan. 

Take the one year with Tonyan on the tender and then let him walk. Wouldn't even consider resigning him for anything close to that amount of money. 

If we got a 2nd out of an undrafted pick up from DET, it's a win.   He has been playing great for us so we will have to be ready to fill that hole since there is a good possibility we can't afford him next year.  If he has another great year for us and brings in a comp pick, you wish him well and move on.  I hope he plays for us this year.

19 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Yep .. take the pick and run, and hope that Deguara and/or Sternberger steps up to replace the guy.  I have a hard time believing that Tonyan is a true star talent worth paying big bucks.

Tonyan is another one of my favorite players.  Worked his tail off and now we are seeing the rewards from his work.

To me, he is worth paying next year.  Not at the high end TE money, but still fair money.  He was tied for 27'th on PFF concerning TE's last year.  I'd pay him the average of the top 20 TE's.  Say 6ishM/average.  He's worth it.

And in the same breath....Jace is entering year 3.  That is when the light usually goes on.  If Tonyan gets a bigger offer, Jace should be in position to step up.  And if not Deguara is right there knocking on the door.

But I do love me some Tonyan.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Tonyan is another one of my favorite players.  Worked his tail off and now we are seeing the rewards from his work.

To me, he is worth paying next year.  Not at the high end TE money, but still fair money.  He was tied for 27'th on PFF concerning TE's last year.  I'd pay him the average of the top 20 TE's.  Say 6ishM/average.  He's worth it.

And in the same breath....Jace is entering year 3.  That is when the light usually goes on.  If Tonyan gets a bigger offer, Jace should be in position to step up.  And if not Deguara is right there knocking on the door.

But I do love me some Tonyan.

Not taking anything away from Tonyan "per se" but I think his production - while the result of a fair amount of offseason work - is also heavily dependent on MLF's offensive schemes. Lets face it...he's not the fastest TE around and he doesnt do much running away from folksl.....but he does seem to be fairly open often enough - a fair amount of which I attribute to scheme.

It will be interesting to see - if Deguara comes back fully healthy - how he's translates into the passing game. I think he too will benefit from the playcalls.

Jace has got to get it going. Nuf sed.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Not taking anything away from Tonyan "per se" but I think his production - while the result of a fair amount of offseason work - is also heavily dependent on MLF's offensive schemes. Lets face it...he's not the fastest TE around and he doesnt do much running away from folksl.....but he does seem to be fairly open often enough - a fair amount of which I attribute to scheme.

It will be interesting to see - if Deguara comes back fully healthy - how he's translates into the passing game. I think he too will benefit from the playcalls.

Jace has got to get it going. Nuf sed.

I agree with you about scheme.  I do not agree about "fast".  I think he clocked a 4.61 40 yard dash when he was coming out.  When I see him move, I'll bet he didn't lose much of that on the field.  I think he moves just fine.  He just is not a pure receiving tight end that is quicker.  He's an all around TE, reminds me of Chewie.

He played QB, switched to WR, switched to TE.  That tells me that he has brains.  Brains can get you long way as an NFL tight end.  And it helps earn the trust of Rodgers.

But outside of those points, yah, Jace has to turn it up a notch, and I think he will.  Deguara will play a different, but also important role.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I agree with you about scheme.  I do not agree about "fast".  I think he clocked a 4.61 40 yard dash when he was coming out.  When I see him move, I'll bet he didn't lose much of that on the field.  I think he moves just fine.  He just is not a pure receiving tight end that is quicker.  He's an all around TE, reminds me of Chewie.

He played QB, switched to WR, switched to TE.  That tells me that he has brains.  Brains can get you long way as an NFL tight end.  And it helps earn the trust of Rodgers.

But outside of those points, yah, Jace has to turn it up a notch, and I think he will.  Deguara will play a different, but also important role.

I'm anxious to see what Deguara brings to the table. Yes - losing his rookie season's gotta hurt in some way - but still......I think he'll make some plays for us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

3 hours ago, Refugee said:

If we got a 2nd out of an undrafted pick up from DET, it's a win.   He has been playing great for us so we will have to be ready to fill that hole since there is a good possibility we can't afford him next year.  If he has another great year for us and brings in a comp pick, you wish him well and move on.  I hope he plays for us this year.

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yep .. take the pick and run, and hope that Deguara and/or Sternberger steps up to replace the guy.  I have a hard time believing that Tonyan is a true star talent worth paying big bucks.

I'd like to have a 2nd rounder too, but it's only a "win" if you hit on the pick. Tonyan has developed into a real nice player at a valuable position.

3 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I'd like to have a 2nd rounder too, but it's only a "win" if you hit on the pick. Tonyan has developed into a real nice player at a valuable position.

Of course you have to complete the circle, but a 2nd is huge draft capital and even if you don’t it invest wisely, a great return. Like if 5th rounder Linsley nets us a 4th and all those great years of service, take the win. We could still blow the 4th rounder like we did in Corey’s draft year on Carl Bradford. 

Just now, Refugee said:

Of course you have to complete the circle, but a 2nd is huge draft capital and even if you don’t it invest wisely, a great return. Like if 5th rounder Linsley nets us a 4th and all those great years of service, take the win. We could still blow the 4th rounder like we did in Corey’s draft year on Carl Bradford. 

Ya, but the difference is Corey will be 30 this season, Tonyan 27.

10 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Ya, but the difference is Corey will be 30 this season, Tonyan 27.

I’ll just say I’ll be very shocked if any team views him as worthy of a 2nd.  He’s more valuable to us than any other team.  I believe he plays for us this year, hopefully really well, and we will have a hole to fill next year when we might not want to pay the market. 

15 minutes ago, Leader said:

PFF  -    Chicago offered 3 first-round picks, a third and two starters for Russell Wilson. Seattle declined.

///

Apparently, CHI was after it.

Thanks Seattle .. Russ is a pain in the *** to play against, so better he stays in Seattle where we have to play him a lot less.  For the record though the Packers have given him as much trouble as anyone.  His QB ratings against GB is his worst against any team.