Jump to content

NFL News & Notes


Recommended Posts

Out of boredom I've been browsing through NFL players career earnings on Spotrac.

I have to ask how the heck is Edgerrin James still no.2 in the all-time RB earnings list. Gore with 5 more seasons played especially in this day and age of massive salary caps is still somehow ranked behind him.

Another oddity is Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed. Both drafted in the 1st round, both entered and left the league at roughly the same time and YET somehow Polamalu has $20m more in career earnings. Just how?

Players who've been around the longest more often than not would have the highest career earnings overall such as Larry Fitzgerald. I expect Julio Jones to surpass him if he plays for another 5-6 years, DeAndre Hopkins might have a shot too.

Patrick Peterson was on track to surpass Darrell Revis but his poor performances in the last couple of seasons dented his earning power in this free agency. If he has a Woodson-like revival to his career then he should pass Revis comfortably.

If all the current players were to play out for the entirety of their contracts then obviously Mahomes will be the highest earning NFL player ever at $344m. Brady will finally break the $300m barrier if he plays a couple more seasons. Rodgers will almost certainly hit $300m whether it's with us or on another team. Matt Ryan surprisingly would join the $300m club if he plays his contract out. Outside of QBs Trent Williams will be the highest paid LT of all time, $71m ahead of the next highest earning OL.

Kickers and Punters - If you're a top player and stick around for a very long time you can expect to earn $30m minimum. The amazing thing is many of the highest earning players on that list are in their late 30s and is STILL playing. Robbie Gould is probably looking at Vinateri and thinking yeah! I can play another 10 years! With only 32 spots in the league if more and more kickers lock down their roster spots and continue to kick for a long time there's going to be fewer opportunities for younger kickers to break through.

Edited by Chili
Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't see this posted yet, via ESPN:

Link - Kyle Fuller

No surprise here, and in any case I doubt the Packers have that kind of cap space available at present. But one of you who is better informed on salary cap matters may wish to expand.

 

Edited by JQ1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Andrew Brandt -   Still shaking my head that the NFL basically doubled their already-massive media deals. Remember when domestic violence, concussions, player protests or whatever else for which the NFL was being criticized was going to knock it off of its elevated perch? That was cute.

👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ian Rapoport -  The Giants landed another big free agent, signing him to a lucrative deal. First, Kenny Golladay. Now, Adoree' Jackson -- who gets 3-years and $39M.

///

The Giants be putting cash on the street!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Field Yates -  The Lions have converted $20M of Jared Goff’s salary into a signing bonus, creating $15M in cap space for 2021. This move will add $5M cap charges to Goff’s deal over the 2022-2024 season, while Detroit gets operating room for the rest of this offseason.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lions should be trying to tank in 2021 and yet are restructuring Goff to create a bunch of 2021 cap space. 

The Packers should be trying to win the Super Bowl in 2021 and yet haven't (to date) done anything with Rodgers' contract to create cap space for 2021. 

What a world... 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeremy Fowler -   The recently released cornerback free agent pool is pretty strong: Steven Nelson (28), Casey Hayward (31), A.J. Bouye (29), Malcolm Butler (31). Some good value in the second wave.

  • Peter Bukowski -  Don’t think the King deal materially impacts the #Packers potential pursuit of one of these guys.

Zach Kruse -  Of course it does. Why wouldn't it?

  • Peter Bukowski -  Because the position is still an issue and the deal does not show faith in a long-term solution. It’s not “Oh we signed King, we are good now.”  They know that.

Zach Kruse -  It's definitely not a long-term solution. Neither is any of the other vet cornerbacks. They picked King over the others, and now they'll find the long-term solution in the draft.

  • Peter Bukowski -   I don’t think that’s true though. I don’t buy they picked King over those guys. Just like they didn’t pick Davon House over free agent options in 2018. They absolutely can and I believe will add another veteran corner.

Zach Kruse -  They also brought back Chandon Sullivan, so all the starters from last year returned. And they're absolutely going to draft someone. I just don't know why you bring back Kevin King if you're going to sign another vet. Also: they have no money.

///

I agree with Kruse.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

The Lions should be trying to tank in 2021 and yet are restructuring Goff to create a bunch of 2021 cap space. 

The Packers should be trying to win the Super Bowl in 2021 and yet haven't (to date) done anything with Rodgers' contract to create cap space for 2021. 

What a world... 

They're reportedly looking to do just that. Why they didn't jump on it sooner at the start of free agency is anyone's guess.

Surely it'll contain voidable years so they can move on from him in a few years if they see fit? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Jeremy Fowler -   The recently released cornerback free agent pool is pretty strong: Steven Nelson (28), Casey Hayward (31), A.J. Bouye (29), Malcolm Butler (31). Some good value in the second wave.

  • Peter Bukowski -  Don’t think the King deal materially impacts the #Packers potential pursuit of one of these guys.

Zach Kruse -  Of course it does. Why wouldn't it?

  • Peter Bukowski -  Because the position is still an issue and the deal does not show faith in a long-term solution. It’s not “Oh we signed King, we are good now.”  They know that.

Zach Kruse -  It's definitely not a long-term solution. Neither is any of the other vet cornerbacks. They picked King over the others, and now they'll find the long-term solution in the draft.

  • Peter Bukowski -   I don’t think that’s true though. I don’t buy they picked King over those guys. Just like they didn’t pick Davon House over free agent options in 2018. They absolutely can and I believe will add another veteran corner.

Zach Kruse -  They also brought back Chandon Sullivan, so all the starters from last year returned. And they're absolutely going to draft someone. I just don't know why you bring back Kevin King if you're going to sign another vet. Also: they have no money.

///

I agree with Kruse.

Why didn't we make a move at Breeland? He has history in this system and he's still an effective stop gap opposite Jaire and shouldn't be too pricey.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KManX89 said:

Why didn't we make a move at Breeland? He has history in this system and he's still an effective stop gap opposite Jaire and shouldn't be too pricey.

I was looking at his name and wondering why as well - but they chose KK. I think its clear they dont want to dump a PILE of debt on the future. If they can restructure AR and extend DA - I'm fine with what they've accomplished (so far) this off season.

We ALWAYS have holes to fill. So whats this years? In no particular order: OT, CB, IDL.....WR? Depth (like every year) at every position?

We'll survive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

The Lions should be trying to tank in 2021 and yet are restructuring Goff to create a bunch of 2021 cap space. 

The Packers should be trying to win the Super Bowl in 2021 and yet haven't (to date) done anything with Rodgers' contract to create cap space for 2021. 

What a world... 

One of them is a consistent title contender, one of them is a consistent cellar dweller.  But let's emulate the Lions...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CWood21 said:

One of them is a consistent title contender, one of them is a consistent cellar dweller.  But let's emulate the Lions...

he's literally saying we should be doing opposite things of the Lions...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m on record as being glad we brought King back. Sure he had a bad game but he has been an above average CB and still has the tools. If we add a vet or draft a young stud, I think we’re sitting just fine.

We also need more from our pass rush. We got very little pressure on Brady in that game, especially in the first half.  I’m not sure any CB would have made a difference, sans that one play. A better play call by the defensive coordinator and any CB would have done just fine. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...