Jump to content

NFL News & Notes


Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

I’m on record as being glad we brought King back. Sure he had a bad game but he has been an above average CB and still has the tools. If we add a vet or draft a young stud, I think we’re sitting just fine.

We also need more from our pass rush. We got very little pressure on Brady in that game, especially in the first half.  I’m not sure any CB would have made a difference, sans that one play. A better play call by the defensive coordinator and any CB would have done just fine. 

It was a bad defensive call - but King's failure on the play wasnt due to the call.

He. King. Failed.

He was on an island with one other person. He let that other person get to the other side of the island - when - his entire reason for being out there was to insure / prevent that other person from doing just that.

He was on his own. He got beat deep - when he had no business - none - getting beat deep.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson faces 16 lawsuits in Harris County from women alleging sexual assault and harassment.

The numbers are mounting......

I know nothing more than this and the response from Watson's lawyer that indicated all of these are with the same attorney who also demanded a cash settlement from Watson prior to documents being filed and is not sharing the identities of the complainants w/ Watson's team to perform their own investigation.

I'm going to let the dust settle on this one before jumping to any conclusions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Leader said:

It was a bad defensive call - but King's failure on the play wasnt due to the call.

He. King. Failed.

He was on an island with one other person. He let that other person get to the other side of the island - when - his entire reason for being out there was to insure / prevent that other person from doing just that.

He was on his own. He got beat deep - when he had no business - none - getting beat deep.

I never liked the King pick. Remember his college tape. Yes, he physically tested off the charts, but he seemed slow to recognize/anticipate/react. His issue is between the ears. I don't think that has changed very much. He is the opposite of Sherman. We want athletic AND smart/instinctual cornerbacks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I know nothing more than this and the response from Watson's lawyer that indicated all of these are with the same attorney who also demanded a cash settlement from Watson prior to documents being filed and is not sharing the identities of the complainants w/ Watson's team to perform their own investigation.

I'm going to let the dust settle on this one before jumping to any conclusions.

No conclusions are possible. Presuming the number of com-plaintiffs is accurate, It's simply a large number of plaintiffs for a "shake down" scheme. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Leader said:

It was a bad defensive call - but King's failure on the play wasnt due to the call.

He. King. Failed.

He was on an island with one other person. He let that other person get to the other side of the island - when - his entire reason for being out there was to insure / prevent that other person from doing just that.

He was on his own. He got beat deep - when he had no business - none - getting beat deep.

I agree with King’s fault BUT he never should have been in that situation in the first place. 

I still like the signing and he does have the tools. Think (edit: hope)we add another piece at CB and we will be stacked there. 

Edited by MantyWrestler
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

I agree with King’s fault BUT he never should have been in that situation in the first place.

Players play. Coaches coach. It was the wrong play call. Check. The Player's role was unaffected by it however.

King had one guy to cover and one thing to do.

Given the time remaining - all King needed to do - was insure he kept *everything* in front of him. He had only one thing to concern himself with. One: Scotty Miller. Let him catch it in front of you and they get a FG. Fine. Not preferred - but certainly preferred over what happened.

That TD was all on King. He wasnt playing press man and Miller didnt run any kind of double move - and King still allowed himself to get beat. The scheme - or lack of Safety help - had nothing to do with it cause you cant presume the Safety wouldn't have had other areas to help on. 

It was 1 on 1 and King dropped the ball.  Oh well. It happens.

Only out I'll allow for King is possibly his back was bothering him and he couldnt move right. Dont know that to be the case - but if I'm reaching for something to cut some slack on........thats all I can come up with.

 

Edited by Leader
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leader said:

Players play. Coaches coach. It was the wrong play call. Check. The Player's role was unaffected by it however.

King had one guy to cover and one thing to do.

Given the time remaining - all King needed to do - was insure he kept *everything* in front of him. He had only one thing to concern himself with. One: Scotty Miller. Let him catch it in front of you and they get a FG. Fine. Not preferred - but certainly preferred over what happened.

That TD was all on King. He wasnt playing press man and Miller didnt run any kind of double move - and King still allowed himself to get beat. The scheme - or lack of Safety help - had nothing to do with it cause you cant presume the Safety wouldn't have had other areas to help on. 

It was 1 on 1 and King dropped the ball.  Oh well. It happens.

Only out I'll allow for King is possibly his back was bothering him and he couldnt move right. Dont know that to be the case - but if I'm reaching for something to cut some slack on........thats all I can come up with.

 

Kings play was all on him but the TD was more so on Petine. 

I’m not absolving King from his play on that down, just saying he never should have been in that situation in the first place. Guy made a bone headed play. I still think he has value and is better for what we spent on him than what we could get to replace him at this time. A draft pick will hopefully push him down to 3rd CB. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Kings play was all on him but the TD was more so on Petine. 

I’m not absolving King from his play on that down, just saying he never should have been in that situation in the first place. Guy made a bone headed play. I still think he has value and is better for what we spent on him than what we could get to replace him at this time. A draft pick will hopefully push him down to 3rd CB. 

Okay. Understood. IMO it was the players responsibility - not the guy standing on the sideline - to prevent that completion.

I view it as if I were that player. I've been that player - that was my position - and I wouldnt blame the coach. 

I'm glad we resigned him. Available options were few and his resigning gave up flexibility in the draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Leader said:

Okay. Understood. IMO it was the players responsibility - not the guy standing on the sideline - to prevent that completion.

I view it as if I were that player. I've been that player - that was my position - and I wouldnt blame the coach. 

I'm glad we resigned him. Available options were few and his resigning gave up flexibility in the draft.

Oh, I agree with all that as well. King F’d up the play. I just put more in the coach there than you do. I too am glad we got along back. Every player F’s up once in a while. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Field Yates -   It appears as though the Seahawks are moving on from DT Jarran Reed, who was due $8.325M in salary this season. A talented interior rusher and big body now available for other teams to acquire.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2021 at 3:38 PM, Leader said:

Players play. Coaches coach. It was the wrong play call. Check. The Player's role was unaffected by it however.

King had one guy to cover and one thing to do.

Given the time remaining - all King needed to do - was insure he kept *everything* in front of him. He had only one thing to concern himself with. One: Scotty Miller. Let him catch it in front of you and they get a FG. Fine. Not preferred - but certainly preferred over what happened.

That TD was all on King. He wasnt playing press man and Miller didnt run any kind of double move - and King still allowed himself to get beat. The scheme - or lack of Safety help - had nothing to do with it cause you cant presume the Safety wouldn't have had other areas to help on. 

It was 1 on 1 and King dropped the ball.  Oh well. It happens.

Only out I'll allow for King is possibly his back was bothering him and he couldnt move right. Dont know that to be the case - but if I'm reaching for something to cut some slack on........thats all I can come up with.

 

I mean Miller's a 4.3 guy and you're asking a big CB to cover him from 10 yards deep with no disruption at the LoS, no pressure on the QB, no safety help and about 400 square yards of field to work with coming out of a bunch set.  How do you defend both the corner and the post in that situation?  King bailed as soon as Miller looked like he was committing to the fade and it still wasn't enough; if he bails even sooner the only thing he can do to defend the post route is pray Miller drops it.  There's no winning here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

I mean Miller's a 4.3 guy and you're asking a big CB to cover him from 10 yards deep with no disruption at the LoS, no pressure on the QB, no safety help and about 400 square yards of field to work with coming out of a bunch set.  How do you defend both the corner and the post in that situation?  King bailed as soon as Miller looked like he was committing to the fade and it still wasn't enough; if he bails even sooner the only thing he can do to defend the post route is pray Miller drops it.  There's no winning here.

There was inside help. King didnt need to look towards the middle of the field once - and didnt.

Miller - the outside WR - took off straight - B LINE - for the corner of the EZ. Was Kings singular responsibility from the hike of the ball. No jukes, No fakes. No moves at all. Miller just hauled ***. 

King needed to keep Miller in front of him - or worse case scenario - stay even with him to contest the pass. He did neither. 

King lost contain (if you would) at the 10 yard line when he's actually looking back at Brady - side stepping (or slowing down) and Miller gets the space needed to make the uncontested reception just inside the EZ with 2 seconds left. 

A reception in the field of play probably would resulted in time running out.  All King had to do was prevent exactly what happened. It wasnt scheme that beat Kevin King.

You want a different defensive call? Line up all the DBs inside the 10 - then hope King doesnt again watch Brady while Miller gets behind him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...