NFL News & Notes

Leader

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

All funnin' aside, I know you feel like you are right.  I don't know if you are, or are not.

I am not a vaccine expert. I am right to listen to experts who tell us it is safe. I recognize that any concerns I may have had are far, far, FAR trumped by the experts who know 1000x better than me.

It doesn't matter what I'm right about, you should know that the experts are right.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1

I myself have spent no small amount of my college years to studying science related to DNA, mRNA, genetics, etc… I understand most people don’t have that luxury and are understatedly apprehensive or have questions. 

What I will never understand in a million years are the people who would prefer to listen to some guy filming himself in his car on YouTube rather than the scientists who have dedicated their lives to this stuff. Not saying anyone here would do that. But it’s wild that “not being a sheep” is so often synonymous with “listening to some random podcaster who shares my grievances” 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Pfizer/Moderna are both 2x doses. Johnson & Johnson is the single dose.

I got Moderna, both versions made my arm quit sore for 24-36 hours, 2nd dose made me lethargic for 48hrs ish. It's free, easy, convenient and responsible. You should do it ASAP and do whatever you can to convince anyone you know to as well. It's just flat out the right thing to do.

Good thing folks weren't such scared girls back when polio broke out

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I myself have spent no small amount of my college years to studying science related to DNA, mRNA, genetics, etc… I understand most people don’t have that luxury and are understatedly apprehensive or have questions. 

What I will never understand in a million years are the people who would prefer to listen to some guy filming himself in his car on YouTube rather than the scientists who have dedicated their lives to this stuff. Not saying anyone here would do that. But it’s wild that “not being a sheep” is so often synonymous with “listening to some random podcaster who shares my grievances” 

Not specially just to the vaccine but the whole strategy adopted by governments has always faced opposing scientific views. It is not clear cut as 'scientific' and 'unscientific' mumbo jumbo, scientists themselves don't agree, strategies concieved by scientists on how best to tackle the pandemic has been in dispute. It's not just cuckoo Youtubers who are against this vacination or strategies around lockdowns. That's why each invididual has take the information and make their own decision with whatever they are comfortable with. The forced narrative of you have to get vacinated I find is a little OTT.

28 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/08/dr-marty-makary-americans-have-distorted-perception-of-covid-risk.html

That guys an expert too, and this opinion is far more nuanced than I hear from experts working in the government. 

It seems like he's simply pointing out that the vaccination effort has been successful in reducing the spread (and therefore risk)? Unless I'm missing something you meant us to focus on?

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It seems like he's simply pointing out that the vaccination effort has been successful in reducing the spread (and therefore risk)? Unless I'm missing something you meant us to focus on?

"People “need to be careful if they’re unvaccinated and not had the infection, but we need to move on at some point,” said Makary."

If you have natural (acquired) immunity to COVID, you are quite safe (which is why he is talking about risk perception). It is unclear at this time how vaccinations will stack up against natural immunity over the long haul. This is a more nuanced point than 'everyone get vaccinated', which of course makes for simpler public messaging. 

Edited by HokieHigh

24 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

"People “need to be careful if they’re unvaccinated and not had the infection, but we need to move on at some point,” said Makary."

If you have natural (acquired) immunity to COVID, you are quite safe (which is why he is talking about risk perception). It is unclear at this time how vaccinations will stack up against natural immunity over the long haul. This is a more nuanced point than 'everyone get vaccinated', which of course makes for simpler public messaging. 

That's wonderful there are other potential safeguards beyond the vaccine. Unfortunately we didn't/don't have time to rely on just those. Without the vaccine (and responsible members of society taking them) 10s maybe 100s of millions more would have died from it.

Perhaps you don't know anyone who died from it. I do. The "simple" public messaging saved millions of lives. Because of that, we can now look at other solutions for long-term protection as a society.

1 hour ago, HokieHigh said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/08/dr-marty-makary-americans-have-distorted-perception-of-covid-risk.html

That guys an expert too, and this opinion is far more nuanced than I hear from experts working in the government. 

Was there an opinion given about not getting a vaccine here? The opinion "Covid deaths are down because the population is getting vaccinated" doesn't read like you think it does. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Not specially just to the vaccine but the whole strategy adopted by governments has always faced opposing scientific views. It is not clear cut as 'scientific' and 'unscientific' mumbo jumbo, scientists themselves don't agree, strategies concieved by scientists on how best to tackle the pandemic has been in dispute. It's not just cuckoo Youtubers who are against this vacination or strategies around lockdowns. That's why each invididual has take the information and make their own decision with whatever they are comfortable with. The forced narrative of you have to get vacinated I find is a little OTT.

Yes, it is. 

Where are you seeing any immunologist not advocating for vaccination???

51 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

There exists no scientific view that opposes mass covid vaccination.

Edited by incognito_man

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yes, it is. 

Where are you seeing any immunologist not advocating for vaccination???

This Prof who is head of the Vaccine Centre at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicinegot got a lot of press in the UK. I agree with the sentiment that is quite politicised and more than just science. 
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/speed-coronavirus-vaccine-race-crazy-unsafe-scientists-warn/ 

Not that I agree with him but you got this dude, ex Pfizer VP
https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/health-coronavirus-vaccines-skeptic/

While not against vaccination per se these guys are anti lockdown and pro herd immunity and are comprised of senior scentists https://gbdeclaration.org/

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

There exists no scientific view that opposes mass covid vaccination.

I doubt there is. But I believe there is opposition from scientists to how it is being done now and how this is a politcal and PR game. Unfortunately and it has been for some time, science, commerce and politics cannot be seperated.