NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

Dix first contract was very successful. Even if he fell off he had a better 1st 4 than 90% of drafted players. Cant really call that a bust. Elflein as a positive example on the flip side is really all i had to see.

You can like the Vikings depth players more than the Packers. I'm not going to argue that trivial ****. 

Have a day man.

OK, and Elflien was a very good starting center as a rookie also? He just signed a decent contract to start in for the Panthers, so an NFL front office believes he's an ok player. Where's Dix? Working out for the Falcons? Getting cut by the Cowboys, who have no safeties? 

Look im not gonna die on a hill calling Elflein a good player. I dont think he is. But for a 3rd round pick, you cant say he was a bust. He's had some success at his natural center position, before getting hurt and moved to G. 

Dix had some good moments in his rookie contract. But a 1st round pick who never caught on after his rookie contract<a starting OL who just signed a decent deal in FA as a second contract who was a 3rd round pick. If you take out the names and just look at that, you'd say player B was a better selection.

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I never called you a troll.

I came here to point out facts as to why GB is superior to the Vikes.  Franchise stats.  I get why some (not necessarily you) may (key word, may), be jealous of GB.  And I get it.  Lots of history there, and a lot of recent history.

And despite it all, I think you have a very good roster and you had a great off-season.

As an observer of the Vikes, I think your o-line is a weak spot.  Outside of that?  Maybe the corners will solidify things?  But you are better there than you were last year.  Maybe your stars start to show some wear and tear due to age?  (Another key word, maybe.)  Maybe Hunter fixes the pass rush?

It's a nice team right now.  Gonna be fun to watch those games.

Once again, the superior comment was directed towards the current front offices & drafting abilities. Not overall franchise success. Im not dumb enough to start that argument. 

Everyone knows that without Favre & Rodgers the Packers wouldnt be what they have been/are. But that shouldnt be a discredit towards them. They drafted/acquired those QBs to set themselves up for long term success and it worked out great. I think they deserve credit for that no doubt. But i think its fair to say GB got a little lucky having back to back all time great QB's & that covered up some warts on those teams. And the same can be said for other teams. Franchise QB's are the driving force to success in the NFL, and if you dont have one its tough. 

1 hour ago, Eric dunn said:

Once again, the superior comment was directed towards the current front offices & drafting abilities. Not overall franchise success. Im not dumb enough to start that argument. 

Everyone knows that without Favre & Rodgers the Packers wouldnt be what they have been/are. But that shouldnt be a discredit towards them. They drafted/acquired those QBs to set themselves up for long term success and it worked out great. I think they deserve credit for that no doubt. But i think its fair to say GB got a little lucky having back to back all time great QB's & that covered up some warts on those teams. And the same can be said for other teams. Franchise QB's are the driving force to success in the NFL, and if you dont have one its tough. 

So GB's GM get credit for acquiring Favre and Rodgers, but we're lucky to do so?

Nice backhanded compliment.

Franchise QB's are the driving force to success in the NFL, and if you dont have one its tough. 

That's why GB drafted Jordan Love. Now all thats necessary is to manage the interface between the two careers and we'll have avoided the "crash & burn" associated with the end of Favre's career while maintaining the seamless quality for a position that many franchises execute planned "crash and burn" (records-wise) in order to get better draft slots and make that selection.

👍

Thats why they call it an organization.....cause they're organized.

K.  Let me paint a little picture for you.  It isn't as easy as saying Favre and Rodgers are the difference.

The difference is the front offices that acquired those two players.  Favre was a second round pick, who very well may have been getting released by Atlanta and our foolish front office went ahead and traded our first round pick, #19 overall, for said quarterback.  It took major cajones to roll the dice on that one.

Then there is Rodgers.  Taken when Favre was still playing at a very high level.  At pick number 24 in the draft.  We were "lucky"?  Heck no.  Thompson was smart.  I think the Vikings passed on Rodgers not once, but twice in that draft.  Thinking the Vikes GM took a WR named Williamson and a DE James.  True, Culpepper was around, but Favre was around and still that pick made sense.  Good GM's do things like that.

And here we are now.  Rodgers under contract and an MVP.  Yet we have a first round pick sitting there taking reps with our first team.  Another great front office move, that Rodgers is more or less emphasizing how great of a pick that was.  Without Love, we would be SOL.  

If you think it is lucky having back to back all time great QB's, I think you are going to hate how lucky we are 10 years from now.

So, it isn't as simple as getting lucky with two QB's.  You gotta have the front office looking ahead to keep things going.

Maybe you are doing that now with your other QB.

20 minutes ago, squire12 said:

So GB's GM get credit for acquiring Favre and Rodgers, but we're lucky to do so?

To be fair, he may not have known all that went into trading the 19th overall pick for a QB3 who very well may have been getting released by Atlanta.

Or that the Vikes passed on Rodgers not once, but twice.

My take is that it wasn't luck for those two players, it was smarts.  Wolf and TT outsmarted a lot of folks.  So far Gute is looking like a genius for taking Love.

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

That's why GB drafted Jordan Love. Now all thats necessary is to manage the interface between the two careers and we'll have avoided the "crash & burn" associated with the end of Favre's career while maintaining the seamless quality for a position that many franchises execute planned "crash and burn" (records-wise) in order to get better draft slots and make that selection.

👍

This is something even most of our own fans don’t understand. The Ron Wolf-to-Today Green Bay Packers value the quarterback position more so than any other team. The most important position in football by far. Many might not like it, but it’s practically unarguable. 

NFL Update -   Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot says the Bears bid on Arlington Park is "a negotiating tactic."

She then drops the hammer: "We want the organization to focus on putting a winning team on the field, beating the Packers finally, and being relevant past October."

:)

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Leader said:

NFL Update -   Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot says the Bears bid on Arlington Park is "a negotiating tactic."

She then drops the hammer: "We want the organization to focus on putting a winning team on the field, beating the Packers finally, and being relevant past October."

:)

Lori Lightfoot vs the Chicago Bears

Talk about a battle of wits between two unarmed opponents. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

Yeah, they get credit. But it takes some luck to get back to back HOF QBs. It’s not a back handed compliment it’s the truth. 1st round QBs who aren’t top 10 picks don’t have a great % of chance to ever become a good QB, let alone HOF QBs. So trading for Favre was smart, but obviously nobody KNEW he would turn into the guy he did. So the process was great and the result turned out great. But to say that no luck is involved would seem to insinuate that the GB front office only scouts and drafts HOF QBs. Which isn’t reasonable. 

2 hours ago, Leader said:

👍

I agree that the process is good. I don’t have any problem with it. Now I don’t think Love will be on Rodgers/Favre level. But the process itself is smart. 

• Like 1