8. John Madden
7. Bill Walsh
6. Tom Landry
5. Chuck Noll
4. Joe Gibbs
3. Vince Lombardi
2. Don Shula
1. Bill Belichick

George Hallas does not make the list nor Paul Brown.  Both these men brought huge innovations to the game and won a lot games.  There were a lot of good coaches prior to 1960, PFN reporters just were not around to witness any of it so I guess it did not happen since they have never really read any history books about pro football.  They should have said "Top 11 Head Coaches, after 1960". 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 9:07 AM, vegas492 said:

.....I'm of the opinion that a WR in the first round is not a good investment of draft capital.  But, same breath, that's more for the top end of round one.  Personally I saw great value at pick #18 for Jefferson.  Troy Williamson?  Naw.  Cordarelle Patterson?  Naw.  The key is finding those pro-ready WR's, not projects.  

I think it's fair to say that Rice and Moss were drafted around that spot. I think the mistake bad GMs make it to think a stud WR will get you over the top and SELL OUT to get one; when someone like Moss, Rice, or Jefferson drops into your lap, then it's fine to take them as BPA. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 10:49 AM, Isherwood said:

The Vikings virtual war room laughing when the Eagles made their pick was pretty good. No idea what the Eagles were doing. Justin Jefferson felt like a sure thing to me, and I'm just some country dumbass! 

I would agree that Jefferson was a better prospect than Reagor, but I don't think anyone really anticipated Justin Jefferson being this good this quick.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2021 at 6:10 PM, minnypackerfan said:

George Hallas does not make the list nor Paul Brown.  Both these men brought huge innovations to the game and won a lot games.  There were a lot of good coaches prior to 1960, PFN reporters just were not around to witness any of it so I guess it did not happen since they have never really read any history books about pro football.  They should have said "Top 11 Head Coaches, after 1960". 

It's always forgotten that Curly Lambeau shares the most NFL titles (6) with Halas and Belicheck, and is basically one of the men responsible for making the passing game a factor in the first 2-3 decades of the NFL (stats are hard to come by for Johnny Blood, but it's not a stretch to think that Blood/Hutson/Howton led the league in career rec/yds/tds until about 1960), not to mention is .623 win pct. (which his last 6 yrs of 22-47-1 bouncing between GB, the Cards, and Was dragged down).

I'm not saying he's top 5 or anything, but Lombardi sucks all the air out of the room as far as GB coaches go. 

Curly Lambeau was the first to implement pass patterns. The early Packer history is beyond fascinating and every fan should search out books to learn more. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkL0MCb25mvVFOQfYYxp0

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSU2LTMxkhMXyrYGVkkQr

53385457.jpg

I first read these many many years ago. Don't let the covers fool you. They are amazing, easy reads filled with gems like Packer fans leaving their house lights on to welcome players back from a road trip (riding the train). There are also more books in the series. Absolute gems

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I would agree that Jefferson was a better prospect than Reagor, but I don't think anyone really anticipated Justin Jefferson being this good this quick.

Believe me or not, but he was my WR1 that draft. “The best rookie season since Randy Moss” maybe not, but I thought he was extremely pro ready, ready to contribute, and as savvy a route runner as the college game produces. I wanted him badly and it hurt where he went. 

1 minute ago, Isherwood said:

Believe me or not, but he was my WR1 that draft. “The best rookie season since Randy Moss” maybe not, but I thought he was extremely pro ready, ready to contribute, and as savvy a route runner as the college game produces. I wanted him badly and it hurt where he went. 

I never said anything totally insane but I was absolutely obsessed with him. I really thought it seemed like he was going to make it to us by all the smoke around the draft too. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cannondale said:

Curly Lambeau was the first to implement pass patterns

I don't want to get into all this because it doesn't matter, but so many of the "first guy to do blah blah" in the ancient times of football is almost all bull****. 

CFB HOF claims like no less than 3 guys invented the modern style in between legs center snap for example. And like a dozen bios claim that some "WR" was the first to run specific pass routes. 

Since Curly was there right from the beginning it's entirely possible that he was doing it "first" but by 1920 the idea that he was the only human on Earth with the concept of using set pass route concepts is a fairy tale. That being said, he absolutely seems influential in pro football in regards to forward passing. It's been a while since I was doing forward pass research but there was a bunch of stuff like this where all sorts of different people are credited with this, just like the "shotgun" snap or anything else that was being used almost identically as the short punt all the damn way back until turn of 20th century even on damn HS teams. But sure, the 9ers invented it in the 60s....

So much information back then is all over the place, which is kind of interesting TBH lol

Edited by Norm
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Norm said:

I don't want to get into all this because it doesn't matter, but so many of the "first guy to do blah blah" in the ancient times of football is almost all bull****. 

CFB HOF claims like no less than 3 guys invented the modern style in between legs never snap for example. And like a dozen bios claim that some "WR" was the first to run specific pass routes. 

Since Curly was there right from the beginning it's entirely possible that he was doing it "first" but by 1920 the idea that he was the only human on Earth with the concept of using set pass route concepts is a fairy tale. That being said, he absolutely seems influential in pro football in regards to forward passing. It's been a while since I was doing forward pass research but there was a bunch of stuff like this where all sorts of different people are credited with this, just like the "shotgun" snap or anything else that was being used almost identically as the short punt all the damn way back until turn of 20th century even on damn HS teams. But sure, the 9ers invented it in the 60s....

So much information back then is all over the place, which is kind of interesting TBH lol

People often confuse "made this work consistently" or "used this concept as a key part of their strategy" with "invented the concept."

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Joe said:

People often confuse "made this work consistently" or "used this concept as a key part of their strategy" with "invented the concept."

100%. I imagine there's some stuff where two separate entities way back when we're doing the same innovations at the same time with no knowledge of each other and the people who covered it then were in the same boat. 

One of the other weird things about Curly I remember from ages ago when I was deep diving for this ancient pro football stuff is that a lot of reports were that he was this really excellent athlete, which I THINK it's likely the case against his peers, but it seemed like as time went on a bit there was more this attitude he was 'scrappy' blah blah or whatever. Just a lot of conflicting stuff back in that era of football that I wish I could know more about lol

At least when you get to the late 30s or so it's more reported and there's video here and there. Still interesting stuff to go look into if anyone ever has the inclination. Easy to get lost in.