NFL News & Notes

19 hours ago, Norm said:

Hutson undoubtedly. Hell there's pro and Bama clips out there that even in a few seconds you can see that.

I'm no historian but there was probably a lot of just guys that still got into programs like ND back then. It's just one of those odd things where I've heard man he was a great athlete and no he just knew the game blah blah as well.

His burst literally leaps off the tape.

19 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Frank Clark has had problems, admittedly many of those are self-inflicted. However comparing him to  psychopathic, murderer is a bit out of bounds IMO. 

That's why I used the prefix "kid friendly." Hernandez wasn't just a murderer he did all the stuff Clark has done and who knows what's lurking under the surface of what we know. The Hernandez stuff was obviously insane, but hopefully Clark hasn't gone to that level...yet...

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I think Clark is more like that Cowboy pass rusher turned MMA fighter who abused a girlfriend and had a ton of guns.  Can't remember his name now....  Greg Hardy maybe?

That would be correct and @Old Guyis correct in that the majority of that crap happened in Charlotte. Hardy only turned over guns once the domestic abuse happened. With Clark, we have both which is not a good sign. To reiterate what I said above: we don't know what may be lurking under the surface of what we know.

2 hours ago, Joe said:

His burst literally leaps off the tape.

That's why I used the prefix "kid friendly." Hernandez wasn't just a murderer he did all the stuff Clark has done and who knows what's lurking under the surface of what we know. The Hernandez stuff was obviously insane, but hopefully Clark hasn't gone to that level...yet...

That would be correct and @Old Guyis correct in that the majority of that crap happened in Charlotte. Hardy only turned over guns once the domestic abuse happened. With Clark, we have both which is not a good sign. To reiterate what I said above: we don't know what may be lurking under the surface of what we know.

Joe,

It's still innocent until proven guilty. Also, 2A is afforded to Clark too. Now, it appears he was carrying illegally which is dumb, but doesn't rise to the level of grouping him with Hernandez IMO. I'm aware of the domestic abuse as well and there is no excuse for that. 

Anyhow, have a good day! 

ESPN -  The NFL has informed its teams that it will accept bids from cities other than Indianapolis to host its annual scouting combine beginning in 2023, a source confirmed to ESPN on Wednesday.

According to the source, all NFL teams will have the opportunity to let the league know whether they have interest in hosting the combine as well as upcoming NFL drafts and Super Bowls.

Andrew Fillipponi -   CBS Sports ranked the NFL Head Coaches. Here's the top 10.

1 Andy Reid
2 Bill Belichick
3 John Harbaugh
4 Sean Payton
5 Sean McDermott
6. Sean McVay
7 Pete Carroll
8 Bruce Arians
9 Matt LaFleur
10 Mike Tomlin

It wasn't that long ago Tomlin was considered top 5. Hes slipping.

ProFootballTalk - 

1. Bill Belichick.
2. Sean Payton.
3. Mike Tomlin.
4. Pete Carroll.
5. John Harbaugh.
6. Andy Reid.
7. Kyle Shanahan.
8. Ron Rivera.
9. Matt LaFleur.
10. Mike Zimmer.

On the fringe: Stefanski, Flores, Vrabel, McVay, Arians.

There's a discussion on the comparisons board, and there seems to be a clear split between Kyle Shanahan believers, and Kyle Shanahan agnostics....like, no one is denying he's a brilliant offensive mind but he also has 3 10-loss seasons in 4 yrs as HC. He has 31 wins (including playoffs) and 15 of them were from 2019. At some point, a coach has to show sustained success. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

There's a discussion on the comparisons board, and there seems to be a clear split between Kyle Shanahan believers, and Kyle Shanahan agnostics....like, no one is denying he's a brilliant offensive mind but he also has 3 10-loss seasons in 4 yrs as HC. He has 31 wins (including playoffs) and 15 of them were from 2019. At some point, a coach has to show sustained success. 

At some point I'm going to finish a post I've been working on and start a topic here re: MLF, McVay and Shanny and the differences in their offensive approaches.  I find it interesting how MLF represents a pretty pure midway point between McVay and Shanahan offensive package-wise, and I'm curious to explore how that all shakes out in terms of play-calling, draft choices, etc.  Both McVay and MLF seem to have split from Shanahan philosophically speaking in a few key areas, which I find interesting. I'm curious if that plays into the difference in sustained offensive success that they've had vs Kyle, or if most of the 49ers struggles really can just be traced back to his whole offense dying every year.

• Like 1

Shanahan went full turtle mode in both Super Bowls he coached in.  He was coaching not to lose when ATL was up 28-3 over NE. Then he went completely away from what was working for SF when they were winning vs KC.  Both collapses on his shoulders.  Brilliant offensive mind?  That’s a stretch. 

33 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Shanahan went full turtle mode in both Super Bowls he coached in.  He was coaching not to lose when ATL was up 28-3 over NE. Then he went completely away from what was working for SF when they were winning vs KC.  Both collapses on his shoulders.  Brilliant offensive mind?  That’s a stretch. 

I mean, I don't like Shanny, but you could pretty much say most of this about MLF in his two championship games as well. He was out-coached in both games. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

I mean, I don't like Shanny, but you could pretty much say most of this about MLF in his two championship games as well. He was out-coached in both games. 

Um, our defense was destroyed in the SF game. They were clearly the better team. The Tampa Bay game, again defensive letdown by the guy MLF was forced to keep on his staff for two years. 

Mind you, our offense was not great in either of those games. We were overmatched by SF though. I don't see that one as much on the coach tbh. 

2 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

I'm curious if that plays into the difference in sustained offensive success that they've had vs Kyle, or if most of the 49ers struggles really can just be traced back to his whole offense dying every year.

I wouldn't deny that the 9ers have seemed to be waylaid by a ridiculous amount of injures, but also at some point the excuses run out. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I wouldn't deny that the 9ers have seemed to be waylaid by a ridiculous amount of injures, but also at some point the excuses run out. 

We're certainly not to that point just yet. That team is a more extreme example of what we went through during the latter half of the Favre years(1999-2007) - if we stayed healthy, we probably went 13-3 and were a contender, if we were the PackIRs, we probably went 9-7 at best. You could also argue our teams throughout the 2010's as well, mainly from 2012 on to MLF's arrival. It was always the defense letting us down too. Favre goes 13-3, and someone shuts us down in the playoffs with a better than average defense because our defense couldn't stop a nosebleed. The 2011, 2016, and 2019 teams were the epitome of poor defenses; 2014 was a fluke.

For the 49ers, they either go 13-3 and contend, or they go 4-12 with Nick Mullens or CJ Beathard as the QB because Jimmy G can't stay healthy and a bunch of DL get hurt and probably an OT.

Edited by Joe
51 minutes ago, Joe said:

For the 49ers, they either go 13-3 and contend, or they go 4-12 with Nick Mullens or CJ Beathard as the QB because Jimmy G can't stay healthy and a bunch of DL get hurt and probably an OT.

Is this for this year? Maybe I'm lost

Neither Mullens or CJ play on that team and they just drafted Lance. Maybe they'll suck but unless they're going to trade for those guys back lol that won't happen

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

One could argue we overachieved to even get to his 1st one but yes he was clearly outcoached.  But he outcoached Arians the next year and had us in a position to take it to OT and Rodgers crapped the bed. That put MLF in a bad position where he chose to kick a FG instead of going for it. But I’d imagine, like many of us, he had little confidence in Rodgers converting on 4th down AND the 2pt conversion after how awful 12 looked on the 3 previous downs. By choosing to kick the FG, the brunt of that failed drive and the loss fell on his shoulders instead of where it should have with Rodgers.  

3 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

One could argue we overachieved to even get to his 1st one but yes he was clearly outcoached.  But he outcoached Arians the next year and had us in a position to take it to OT and Rodgers crapped the bed. That put MLF in a bad position where he chose to kick a FG instead of going for it. But I’d imagine, like many of us, he had little confidence in Rodgers converting on 4th down AND the 2pt conversion after how awful 12 looked on the 3 previous downs. By choosing to kick the FG, the brunt of that failed drive and the loss fell on his shoulders instead of where it should have with Rodgers.  

Tbh, I don't think Arians even coaches the Bucs lol. That's all Brady and Bowles running that team. Bowles was the one DC who seemed to be a leg up on MLF last year. We did better in round 2 but still wasnt enough. Obviously it helps to have the talent the Bucs had on D as well.