NFL News & Notes

Leader

Are people seriously saying that Don Hutson wasn't an unbelievable athlete? 

His Senior Year at Bama (1934) he ran track and placed 4th in the 100 and 2nd in the 220 in the SEC conference meet. Admittedly this was before integration in the SEC, but Hutson was also retired before 1946 when integration happened in the NFL.

Dude had serious wheels for his day.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Are people seriously saying that Don Hutson wasn't an unbelievable athlete? 

His Senior Year at Bama (1934) he ran track and placed 4th in the 100 and 2nd in the 220 in the SEC conference meet. Admittedly this was before integration in the SEC, but Hutson was also retired before 1946 when integration happened in the NFL.

Dude had serious wheels for his day.

If this was in the back and forth I was in, then no. We easily agreed on that..I mentioned he has times on record at Bama was just too lazy to check I'm sure they need yards to meters conversions, not that it matters because it was like almost 100 years ago and we shouldn't compare that to now anyways. It was about Curly Lambeau that I've read conflicting things. 

Edited by Norm

2 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

About his athleticism, or something else? 

Not that any of this matters but it seemed like back when I was looking into early NFL and everything, that they talked like Curly WAS a great athlete for the time, but as time went on the narrative shifted into more like he was just this really intelligent guy who knew all the ins and outs of the game so well that he used that to make up for some lack of athleticism compared to some of his peers in the NFL. It's just something I've never been able to hammer down what the truth is I guess.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 7:49 PM, Norm said:

Is this for this year? Maybe I'm lost

Neither Mullens or CJ play on that team and they just drafted Lance. Maybe they'll suck but unless they're going to trade for those guys back lol that won't happen

In previous years of course.

On 6/30/2021 at 8:49 PM, packfanfb said:

Tbh, I don't think Arians even coaches the Bucs lol. That's all Brady and Bowles running that team. Bowles was the one DC who seemed to be a leg up on MLF last year. We did better in round 2 but still wasnt enough. Obviously it helps to have the talent the Bucs had on D as well.

Not for nothing, but it also helps to be facing a team without their starting LT with the RT moved over making way for an older, oft-injured journeyman. I'll give plenty of credit to Bowles and was really upset we didn't make a move to get him after the Jets let him go; but it doesn't take an experienced DC to apply pressure to an offense with two replacement OT's. 

Offensively speaking, Arians runs the show with Leftwich re-enforcing the game plan TBH. I highly doubt Leftwich would be successful as a HC, at least at this point in his coaching career. Post-Brady, Leftwich would be wise to head to a team run by a defensive minded coach where he can bring his experience aboard and developing his own personal philosophy to that system rather than essentially be under the wing of a proven veteran coach as he essentially is at the moment.

On 7/2/2021 at 11:16 AM, Norm said:

Not that any of this matters but it seemed like back when I was looking into early NFL and everything, that they talked like Curly WAS a great athlete for the time, but as time went on the narrative shifted into more like he was just this really intelligent guy who knew all the ins and outs of the game so well that he used that to make up for some lack of athleticism compared to some of his peers in the NFL. It's just something I've never been able to hammer down what the truth is I guess.

I don't recall hearing whether Lambeau was a great athlete or not....I mean, played at ND and then player-coach for a franchise in the burgeoning NFL, so I doubt he was a uncoordinated oaf or anything, but I've never heard anyone compare him to Johnny Blood or Jim Thorpe. Looks like he made 2nd team All-Pro 3x, but one of those teams was picked by his frenemy Halas and the other two were by the GB Press-Gazette. He also made the all-decade team for the 20s (alongside Jim Thorpe, so there we are). 

You've probably looked into it longer than the 10 mins I spent, but it looks like he was probably pretty good if not great. 

2 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I don't recall hearing whether Lambeau was a great athlete or not....I mean, played at ND and then player-coach for a franchise in the burgeoning NFL, so I doubt he was a uncoordinated oaf or anything, but I've never heard anyone compare him to Johnny Blood or Jim Thorpe. Looks like he made 2nd team All-Pro 3x, but one of those teams was picked by his frenemy Halas and the other two were by the GB Press-Gazette. He also made the all-decade team for the 20s (alongside Jim Thorpe, so there we are). 

You've probably looked into it longer than the 10 mins I spent, but it looks like he was probably pretty good if not great. 

I still have no idea, it's really not important, it's just been a curiosity of mine. I'm guessing closer to pretty good over great though

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Norm said:

I still have no idea, it's really not important, it's just been a curiosity of mine. I'm guessing closer to pretty good over great though

He is interesting to look at. He was a member of the NFL 1920's all decade team, but college football was widely consider a better product than the NFL during the 20's and up until the NFL implemented the draft and playoffs in the early 30's. Even than college football was more popular. 

Lambeau actually never played much college football. He was a HS star at Green Bay East HS and the GB Press-Gazette reported in September of 1917 that Lambeau was trying out for the University of Wisconsin football as "one of the best gridiron prospects that has ever been turned out of a high school". There is no record of him actually enrolling in Madison though. He worked construction for his father that year and enrolled at Norte Dame in 1918 where he did make the varsity team, coached by Knute Rockne. A Google search came up with no individual stats for the 1918 team. Lambeau never returned to college after that. 

The Packers were formed in August of 1919 and the rest would be Packers history from there.    

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, R T said:

He is interesting to look at. He was a member of the NFL 1920's all decade team, but college football was widely consider a better product than the NFL during the 20's and up until the NFL implemented the draft and playoffs in the early 30's. Even than college football was more popular. 

Lambeau actually never played much college football. He was a HS star at Green Bay East HS and the GB Press-Gazette reported in September of 1917 that Lambeau was trying out for the University of Wisconsin football as "one of the best gridiron prospects that has ever been turned out of a high school". There is no record of him actually enrolling in Madison though. He worked construction for his father that year and enrolled at Norte Dame in 1918 where he did make the varsity team, coached by Knute Rockne. A Google search came up with no individual stats for the 1918 team. Lambeau never returned to college after that. 

The Packers were formed in August of 1919 and the rest would be Packers history from there.    

Yeah I've always read Wikipedia ;). Haha

Even that source to that quote about the greatest gridiron is a tad suspect. I've seen that article clipped before, it's hundred years old when I kinda already know how football "experts" of the time worked, there were few big travelers, you stayed mostly in a region and usually pushed that region hard. It's also the "people have been saying" thing. He just says some anonymous people are saying the local kid is really really good. It doesn't mean much to me I guess. 

Now I was going to get up and do some **** but I want to look into this even more lol

22 minutes ago, Norm said:

Yeah I've always read Wikipedia ;). Haha

Even that source to that quote about the greatest gridiron is a tad suspect. I've seen that article clipped before, it's hundred years old when I kinda already know how football "experts" of the time worked, there were few big travelers, you stayed mostly in a region and usually pushed that region hard. It's also the "people have been saying" thing. He just says some anonymous people are saying the local kid is really really good. It doesn't mean much to me I guess. 

Now I was going to get up and do some **** but I want to look into this even more lol

I believe that quote came from George Calhoun who Packers team historian Cliff Christi said of Calhoun, 'George Calhoun joining the Press-Gazette ushered in an era of unabashed promotions'. So that quote about Lambeau's HS career should probably be taken with a grain of salt. 

Edited by R T
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, R T said:

I believe that quote came from George Calhoun who Packers team historian Cliff Christi said of Calhoun, 'George Calhoun joining the Press-Gazette ushered in an era of unabashed promotions'. So that quote about Lambeau's HS career should probably be taken with a grain of salt. 

Yeah that's who it was, not that I'm familiar with him. Good tidbit there then, thanks. That was kind of my feeling just reading the clipped article. Just got of a fluff deal. 

Still, Lambeau played for Notre Dame which is impressive despite the time in which he was there. It's also a pretty weak argument if someone says he was only successful because of his high football IQ making up for a lack of athleticism; that argument is made for so many above average or excellent athletes today. We tend to measure 40 times as a precursor to success(yeah, I'm guilty of that too from time to time), but then you look at Cooper Kupp and Wes Welker who have all been quite productive despite a 40 time that's been a bit slower than desired; Jerry Rice ran a 4.62 FWIW. Then consider how far strength and conditioning programs have come since the time of Lambeau; perhaps there was something Lambeau was leaving on the field that could've been unlocked by a modern strength and conditioning program. JMO

Edited by Joe