NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Leader said:
Zach A. Jacobson -  Vikings are the best team in the NFC North regardless of what Aaron Rodgers decides.
  • Ross Uglem -   Pretty standard stuff. Folks obsess about Minnesota’s strong “roster” filled with guys they liked in the pre draft process (few draft to consensus like Spielman) and all of a sudden you have a front office person basically in charge for 15 years with three playoff wins.

Oh those paper championships...

2 hours ago, Leader said:
Zach A. Jacobson -  Vikings are the best team in the NFC North regardless of what Aaron Rodgers decides.

Well, let's look.  ...With Rodgers.

QB?  Clear advantage GB.  Backup QB?  I'll take Jortles and Love over what they have, too.

RB?  Maybe Cook is just a little, tiny tick better than Jones.  Maybe.  Dillon is better than anything they have behind their star RB.  Advantage GB.

WR?  Davante is the clear best WR on both teams.  But I do think their corp led by Thielen and Jefferson are better than what we have.  Advantage Minnesota.

OL?  Assuming Bakh plays.....We are much better than they are.  I don't think they will be as poor on the OL as they were the last few years, but they also are not on GB's level.  

TE?  No Rudolph.  So it's Irv Smith...and I don't know who else.  Yah, I'll take our TE's as a group over theirs.

DL?  I think Clark is the best of the two clubs, but their DL is better and deeper than ours.

ILB?  Hands down, it's the Vikings.  There really is no debate here at all.

EDGE?  Z and Hunter are the best, and probably on a similar tier, though I feel like Hunter may be a slight tick better.  Maybe.  As a group, I'll take our guys with P and Gary behind our lead dog.

Corner?  Gimme Alexander over anyone they have.  They are cycling in re-treads now.  And that will be better than what they had last year, but last year their CB room was kind of like hot garbage.  As a group?  I'm not sure that this isn't a wash or a very, very slight advantage to GB.

Safety?  I don't know that Harrison Smith is all that superior to Amos right now.  Years ago?  Different story.  Now, they are pretty similar, which is very good.  Savage, though, pushes us ahead of their group.

P/K/Specials....meh.

Coaches?  Choose who you want, I won't debate.  I know the record of MLF versus Zimmer.

Guess I feel like GB is better overall, namely because of Rodgers.  But if Rodgers is gone, I can see thinking MInnesota.  GB's defense has a lot to prove this year.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Well, let's look.  ...With Rodgers.

QB?  Clear advantage GB.  Backup QB?  I'll take Jortles and Love over what they have, too. Definitely GB here. No further discussion needed. 

RB?  Maybe Cook is just a little, tiny tick better than Jones.  Maybe.  Dillon is better than anything they have behind their star RB.  Advantage GB. When healthy, I think Cook is probably the best RB in the NFL. His biggest thing is availability and it's a major concern for him. Mattison isn't bad either. I've give a slight edge to the Vikings here because their star is a little better than our star. Not a big disparity either way. 

WR?  Davante is the clear best WR on both teams.  But I do think their corp led by Thielen and Jefferson are better than what we have.  Advantage Minnesota. Tough one here. GB has the best No. 1 and the best group 1-5. Vikings are all about AT and JJ, easily the best combo in the division, but very thin after that. I give a slight edge to GB for the same reason I gave MN the edge at RB -- our star is the best player of either group.  

OL?  Assuming Bakh plays.....We are much better than they are.  I don't think they will be as poor on the OL as they were the last few years, but they also are not on GB's level. Packers here. I think MN is finally getting a little better there. O'Neil was a find out of nowhere at OT for them. Overall, GB is the better unit and it has shown the last couple of years.  

TE?  No Rudolph.  So it's Irv Smith...and I don't know who else.  Yah, I'll take our TE's as a group over theirs. Irv Smith is an ascending player, much like Tonyan. But yea, we have better depth there. 

DL?  I think Clark is the best of the two clubs, but their DL is better and deeper than ours. MN obviously runs a different defense so a DL comparison is tough but if we are just looking at DT types and considering Hunter an EDGE versus a DE for example, Clark makes it a somewhat closer comparison but MN wins here with the Tomlinson-Pierce-Richardson tripod. 

ILB?  Hands down, it's the Vikings.  There really is no debate here at all. Agreed. Barr is becoming more of a name than a great player at this point, but Kendricks is one of the best in the game. He doesn't always get mentioned with guys like Wagner and Warner, but he should. 

EDGE?  Z and Hunter are the best, and probably on a similar tier, though I feel like Hunter may be a slight tick better.  Maybe.  As a group, I'll take our guys with P and Gary behind our lead dog. Advantage Packers. Hunter can be dominant, but he's also coming off a year where he didn't play. Z has quietly dominated the last 2 seasons, Preston is back in shape with an incentivized contract and Gary may end up being the best of all 3 of them. 

Corner?  Gimme Alexander over anyone they have.  They are cycling in re-treads now.  And that will be better than what they had last year, but last year their CB room was kind of like hot garbage.  As a group?  I'm not sure that this isn't a wash or a very, very slight advantage to GB. Alexander is a few tiers better than anyone they have and that includes Peterson at this point. They have improved there with adding PP and Breeland and Dantzler/Gladney might be a bit better this season. All depends on whether King rebounds. Either way, I'm taking a shut-down No. 1 and whatever comes with it over a bunch of "good" guys with no shut-down player. 

Safety?  I don't know that Harrison Smith is all that superior to Amos right now.  Years ago?  Different story.  Now, they are pretty similar, which is very good.  Savage, though, pushes us ahead of their group. Advantage Packers. Down the stretch last season, we had the best tandem in the league. Amos was all-pro caliber. Savage seems to be on track, much like Gary to have a big year. Smith is still very good player in MN but they lost Harris who was the bigger play-maker last season. 

P/K/Specials....meh. We have the better kicker. Everything else is small potatoes. 

Coaches?  Choose who you want, I won't debate.  I know the record of MLF versus Zimmer. Zimmer is MN's McCarthy. He's been there too long but MN won't admit it and make a change. 

Guess I feel like GB is better overall, namely because of Rodgers.  But if Rodgers is gone, I can see thinking MInnesota.  GB's defense has a lot to prove this year. With Rodgers we are definitely the better team. Without Rodgers, the Vikings are probably the better team unless Love is way ahead of where we think he is right now. 

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I wouldn't fight you on any of that, but......

Dillon is light years better than anything Minnesota has behind Cook.  That makes up the very small gap between Cook and Jones.

I'd take their WR corp over ours in a heartbeat.

Irv Smith is not an ascending tight end.  He's a receiving tight end that hasn't done much for a couple of years.  Tonyan is a complete tight end, Lewis is the blocking TE, Deguara is our H-back and Jace is our concussion-back.

I'm assuming health for all players and just feel that Hunter is a small click better than Z.  P is better than anything else they have as a rusher, and P is okay.  Gary is the wildcard, he puts us over the top easily.

But yah, it's kindda close.  I feel like our edge is Rodgers, of course, but I think MLF is just better than Zimmer.  And I like Zimmer, wish he'd come here and run the defense.

Dan Orlovsky -   See some QB lists. My list would be

1) Mahomes
2) Rodgers
3) Brady
4) Watson
5) Allen
6) Wilson
7) Lamar
😎 Stafford
9) Tannehill
10) Prescott

Burrow/Herbert/Kyler/Baker right on cusp—need to see it more

*if healthy & mind right Wentz is top 10.
*Carr flirting with list too

• Like 1

Ahhhhhh.....a romantic getaway...........not.

NY Post -  The wife of Dwayne Haskins has been charged with domestic battery after allegedly knocking out the backup Steelers quarterback’s tooth earlier this month while the couple was in Las Vegas renewing their wedding vows.

Kalabrya Gondrezick-Haskins reportedly punched Haskins after they got into an argument over their plans for the evening. Haskins and his friends apparently went to a nightclub without waiting for Gondrezick-Haskins and her friends, who had attended a show earlier in the night.

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Ahhhhhh.....a romantic getaway...........not.

NY Post -  The wife of Dwayne Haskins has been charged with domestic battery after allegedly knocking out the backup Steelers quarterback’s tooth earlier this month while the couple was in Las Vegas renewing their wedding vows.

Kalabrya Gondrezick-Haskins reportedly punched Haskins after they got into an argument over their plans for the evening. Haskins and his friends apparently went to a nightclub without waiting for Gondrezick-Haskins and her friends, who had attended a show earlier in the night.

For a second, I had Haskins confused with Watson (because I am a racist) and wondered, if there was a worse offseason since Rae Carruth.  

But man, why get married to someone that will hit you, hard enough to knock out a tooth, for not waiting for them? I can see an argument, but violence?  Geeze! 

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

For a second, I had Haskins confused with Watson (because I am a racist) and wondered, if there was a worse offseason since Rae Carruth.

I think Rae Carruth's wife (not sure he was married actually.....) - but the woman carrying his child and his kid had a worse offseason than he did.

56 minutes ago, Leader said:

I think Rae Carruth's wife (not sure he was married actually.....) - but the woman carrying his child and his kid had a worse offseason than he did.

I just found out not long ago that dude has been out of prison for a while. What a ******* deal that was...

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Holy smokes, I just re-read about that.  I thought he got caught before she was actually shot...  

6 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Holy smokes, I just re-read about that.  I thought he got caught before she was actually shot...  

No. The woman called the cops while bleeding in her car and told them who she believed shot her.
Not sure actually when she died - but they delivered the baby - so I imagine it had to be sometimes after or during surgery.