NFL News & Notes

Leader

9 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

We are still in the infancy of these vaccines as well.

This is perhaps the biggest misconception that is leading to all this unwarranted hesitancy.

We are decidedly NOT in the infancy of these vaccines. The basis of these vaccines have been deployed and studied and determined to be safe for decades. The Covid-19 vaccines are a different flavor of a type of vaccine we KNOW is safe. The actual active mechanisms in the vaccine are not novel. The experts universally agree this vaccine is safe for very, very good reasons.

These are very, VERY well studied and understood and safe. Bottom line. If you believe differently it's because of negligent misinformation you've consumed.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 2

Just now, incognito_man said:

This is perhaps the biggest misconception that is leading to all this unwarranted hesitancy.

We are decidedly NOT in the infancy of these vaccines. The basis of these vaccines have been deployed and studied and determined to be safe for decades. The Covid-19 vaccines are a different flavor of a type of vaccine we KNOW is safe. The actual active mechanisms in the vaccine are not novel. The experts universally agree this vaccine is safe for very, very good reasons.

These are very, VERY well studied and understood and safe. Bottom line. If you believe differently it's because of negligent misinformation you've consumed.

Then why hasn't the FDA approved them?

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

time

it just takes literal time to get a full approval. All the experts agree it's a formality and agree the vaccines are safe and get vaccinated themselves. Really, the last part is all we should need: the world's leading experts believe it in so much they get it themselves without an iota of hesitation.

what more confidence does someone need?

• Like 2

BREAKING:  CBS News confirms the CDC will announce this afternoon that fully vaccinated Americans should return to wearing masks in indoor public settings due to the spread of the Delta Variant.

///

I'm in Florida. Land of the Unvaccinated and I never stopped wearing my mask indoors. A minor inconvenience when weighed against the potential hassle of getting this thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

time

it just takes literal time to get a full approval. All the experts agree it's a formality and agree the vaccines are safe and get vaccinated themselves. Really, the last part is all we should need: the world's leading experts believe it in so much they get it themselves without an iota of hesitation.

what more confidence does someone need?

Meaning the FDA hasn't had enough time to give full approval. Meaning in relation to other vaccines this one is in it's infancy, which it is in relative terms. It's been months since they starting administering it, not years. 

You can't have it both ways. AGAIN, I'm not an anti-vaccine person, I got it. 

I have a difficult time with the herd mentality that if you don't comply you are putting other people at risk, ect. That is wrong headed thinking IMO. 

I know you disagree and I'm perfectly fine with that. 

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/21/briefing/covid-vaccines-fda-approval.html

"It is following a version of its traditional, cautious process for vaccine approval. That process has historically had some big advantages, reducing the chances that Americans end up taking a faulty drug. To move much more quickly would risk undermining the public’s confidence in the F.D.A. and, by extension, the medicines it approves, Dr. Peter Marks, who oversees the process, has argued."

"The strangest part of all this is that the F.D.A.’s official position does not reflect its leaders’ actual views: They agree with the C.D.C. and other scientists that Americans should be getting vaccinated as soon as possible.  Dr. Janet Woodcock, the F.D.A.’s acting commissioner, has said that the F.D.A. “conducted a rigorous and thorough review” of the vaccines before allowing them to be given to people and that the Pfizer vaccine “meets F.D.A.’s high standards for safety and effectiveness.” She also said, “Getting more of our population vaccinated is critical to moving forward and past this pandemic.”

Basically the article says that the process to gain official approval is long.  And the FDA won't rush it because it is their reputation that is on the line here.  And at the same time, the highest people within the FDA are very, very confident in their research and are urging everyone to get their shots.  

My take is that the supposedly smartest people in our country are backing the vaccine, and staking THEIR reputations on it.  But the FDA as a whole needs to work their entire, long process.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

BREAKING:  CBS News confirms the CDC will announce this afternoon that fully vaccinated Americans should return to wearing masks in indoor public settings due to the spread of the Delta Variant.

///

I'm in Florida. Land of the Unvaccinated and I never stopped wearing my mask indoors. A minor inconvenience when weighed against the potential hassle of getting this thing.

So what they are telling us is the vaccine is useless!

I'm not an anti-vaccine person but I sure as hell am an anti-masker and it will be a COLD day in HELL before I put another mask on unless it's Halloween! 

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

///

Certain businesses around me (SE Wisconsin) have just put a mask mandate back into place, even for vaccinated people.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Meaning the FDA hasn't had enough time to give full approval. Meaning in relation to other vaccines this one is in it's infancy, which it is in relative terms. It's been months since they starting administering it, not years. 

You can't have it both ways. AGAIN, I'm not an anti-vaccine person, I got it. 

I have a difficult time with the herd mentality that if you don't comply you are putting other people at risk, ect. That is wrong headed thinking IMO. 

I know you disagree and I'm perfectly fine with that. 

I think you're well-intentioned, but you are confusing the PROCESS with the PRODUCT. I deal with bureaucracy everyday, so perhaps I'm more immune to it. The process was designed (decades ago) to take time. The PRODUCT (the active parts) have been studied and deployed in humans for decades. The PRODUCT is universally approved.

Unfortunately, many, many people see loads of misinformation that confuse them about this and it results in even people who DO get the vaccine to not be as confident in it as the experts.

I just can't for the life of me understand why anyone would be less confident in its safety than the throngs of experts. It makes no sense to me. The literal people that make up the "CDC" all say it's safe. The AGENCY (which follows a pre-determined protocol) still requires time to dot the 'i's' and cross the 't's'. 

7 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Thats not what they're saying at all.

Vaccinated people can still catch this Delta Variant - especially when surrounded by or encountering unvaccinated people.  The vaccines protect people from getting a bad case of the disease however and could prevent hospitalization - good things all.

So - in order to reduce the overall numbers of cases / hospitalizations / deaths, they're recommending vaccinated people protect themselves better against.....the others.....until those others get vaccinated themselves. 

This is a collective thing. We're in this together.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Old Guy said:
22 minutes ago, Leader said:

///

I'm not an anti-vaccine person but I sure as hell am an anti-masker and it will be a COLD day in HELL before I put another mask on unless it's Halloween! 

The mask mandate should never have been lifted. Hasn't in Canada. Why are you an anti-masker? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

It's simply prudent.

face palm! The holes in masks are larger than the virus particles. This was from an actual study by a university, Stanford! The study said facemasks are useless. Then the mask nazi's attacked them and they had to walk it back.

I actually spoke to my physician about masks and he confirmed this to me. 

14 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

That is not at all what they're saying.

As others have mentioned, you can still catch it. The vaccine greatly decreases the chances of being impacted by the worst parts of COVID and of spreading it to others. 

If you aren't anti-vaccine, you sure are doing a good job of showing otherwise. Including with the leading sentence of your reply.

Why are you anti-mask? It is quite possibly the lowest effort thing you can do to protect yourself and others.