NFL News & Notes

Leader

5 hours ago, Norm said:

I wish I had the passion for anything that you have for film

I’m losing it, man. There have been two movies made in the past ten years that have truly excited me and made me feel anything. Film has been crap since the turn of the decade. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

It's gonna release on Hulu most likely. Trachtenberg or however you spell his name directed it. The man who filmed the secret Cloverfield Lane movie. It's about the first time a Predator ever visited Earth. A Native American female is set to be the lead.

I am quietly optimistic about it.

Shane Black I thought had ruined the Predator franchise by trying to make it a franchise.

It's not a franchise.

Won't quite have the testosterone of the first Predator, but if I'm given anything like Cloverfield Lane meets Predator I'm down.

You shouldn't be. 

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I’m losing it, man. There have been two movies made in the past ten years that have truly excited me and made me feel anything. Film has been crap since the turn of the decade. 

Just don't watch movies

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Plumb the earlier stuff, the black and white era. Hitchcock, Kurosawa, Huston. Some great films in there, especially in terms of dialogue. Some of the post war stuff is pretty gritty too. My all-time favourite film is the b&w Huston film, 'The Maltese Falcon' (although some days I prefer 'The Third Man', with the brilliant Orson Welles as Harry Lime).

If you want good dialogue, try the 1968 film,  'The Lion in Winter', a film almost never seen on TV, about King Henry II, set in the late 12th century at Christmas time, with Peter O' Toole, Katharine Hepburn, Anthony Hopkins (first major role), Timothy Dalton (screen debut). A film all about plotting, manipulation and betrayal, with the king himself as arch-manipulator.

All too many people in their 20's and 30's reject all black and white films, to their own detriment.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Plumb the earlier stuff, the black and white era. Hitchcock, Kurosawa, Huston. Some great films in there, especially in terms of dialogue. Some of the post war stuff is pretty gritty too. My all-time favourite film is the b&w Huston film, 'The Maltese Falcon' (although some days I prefer 'The Third Man', with the brilliant Orson Welles as Harry Lime).

If you want good dialogue, try the 1968 film,  'The Lion in Winter', a film almost never seen on TV, about King Henry II, set in the late 12th century at Christmas time, with Peter O' Toole, Katharine Hepburn, Anthony Hopkins (first major role), Timothy Dalton (screen debut). A film all about plotting, manipulation and betrayal, with the king himself as arch-manipulator.

All too many people in their 20's and 30's reject all black and white films, to their own detriment.

Feels like you need a PHD to follow the dialogue in these old movies if you are used to watching the drivel that is served up these days. My consipracy is that they serve up crap movies, with poor narratives just to dumb down the nation, that way the powers that be can get you to think less, buy more crap and pass whatever laws they like.

Bogarts movies are some of the best and The Maltese Falcon is one my favourites too, Peter Lorre and Syndney Greestreet some of my favourite role actors ever, both were in Casablanca too. 

Thanks for the the tip of The Lion in Winter, defo going to check that out.

21 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Feels like you need a PHD to follow the dialogue in these old movies if you are used to watching the drivel that is served up these days. My consipracy is that they serve up crap movies, with poor narratives just to dumb down the nation, that way the powers that be can get you to think less, buy more crap and pass whatever laws they like.

It is actually far less nefarious than that. About 40 years ago studios discovered there was more money to be made in the international market and dialogue doesn't translate as well to other cultures so they simplified it. Something like 2/3s of film revenue now days comes from oversees. Car chases and explosions translate to every culture. Eloquent speeches not so much. It's all about the money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

It is actually far less nefarious than that. About 40 years ago studios discovered there was more money to be made in the international market and dialogue doesn't translate as well to other cultures so they simplified it. Something like 2/3s of film revenue now days comes from oversees. Car chases and explosions translate to every culture. Eloquent speeches not so much. It's all about the money. 

I accept your reasoning and point.

The thing is though the standard Hollywood stuff in the 90's, which was action and explosions is still a million times better than what comes out today, like The Rock, Crimson Tide, Leon, Point Break, Con Air etc. And those movies can't touch the action movies of the 80's: The Terminator, Alien(s), Beverly Hills Cop, Blade Runner, Indiana Jones, Die Hard, Ghostbusters etc.

I believe there must be an agenda to make wank movies and it is more than just action sells, as the quality of action 'junk for the mind' movies has massively deteriorated.

I'd read something a while back dealing with the possible rationale for Myer's to bring Tebow back and give him a shot.

The first reason (and most obvious IMO) dealt with the box office appeal - which in that region of the country makes sense. He could sell tickets.

A second reason cited was Myer's was doing Tebow a solid in so much as he was short of achieving his NFL pension - or some level of that pension. Perhaps with more games under his belt, he's get more back - hence, Myer's might be trying help him reach that milestone.

5 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

i-know-more-than-you-i-know-you.gif

• Like 1

NBC -   Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre is urging parents not to allow their children to play tackle football until they are 14.

"I don't know what normal feels like. Do I have CTE? I really don't know. Concussions are a very, very serious thing and we're just scraping the surface of how severe they are."

Chris Nowinski, co-founder and CEO of the Concussion Legacy Foundation, said in a statement that younger children who play tackle football are at an increased risk of developing the progressive and fatal neurological condition.

“A football player’s odds of developing CTE may be most determined by their parents, specifically what age the child is allowed to start playing tackle football,” he said. “It’s time to accept that CTE is not just a risk for professional and college football players, but also for high school players, and the best way to prevent CTE among football players is to delay the introduction of tackle football."

New data looking at teenagers shows that 25 percent of high school football players had CTE, even though they never played in college or professionally, according to research from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs — Boston University — Concussion Legacy Foundation Brain Bank. The experts looked at 65 high school football players and found that 16 had CTE. Only one of the 16 started tackle football after age 14.