NFL News & Notes

Leader

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

NBC -   Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre is urging parents not to allow their children to play tackle football until they are 14.

"I don't know what normal feels like. Do I have CTE? I really don't know. Concussions are a very, very serious thing and we're just scraping the surface of how severe they are."

Chris Nowinski, co-founder and CEO of the Concussion Legacy Foundation, said in a statement that younger children who play tackle football are at an increased risk of developing the progressive and fatal neurological condition.

“A football player’s odds of developing CTE may be most determined by their parents, specifically what age the child is allowed to start playing tackle football,” he said. “It’s time to accept that CTE is not just a risk for professional and college football players, but also for high school players, and the best way to prevent CTE among football players is to delay the introduction of tackle football."

New data looking at teenagers shows that 25 percent of high school football players had CTE, even though they never played in college or professionally, according to research from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs — Boston University — Concussion Legacy Foundation Brain Bank. The experts looked at 65 high school football players and found that 16 had CTE. Only one of the 16 started tackle football after age 14.

No way I'd like a kid of mine play tackle football at all. When they asked Mike Ditka what he tell a kid, he said he'd tell them not to play. 

Good enough for me! Love watching it as long as it's somebody else's brain getting beat in. 

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

No way I'd like a kid of mine play tackle football at all. When they asked Mike Ditka what he tell a kid, he said he'd tell them not to play. 

Good enough for me! Love watching it as long as it's somebody else's brain getting beat in. 

FWIW- football isn't the only head injury worry.  Three kids, all played hockey and all three got concussions in baseball and softball along with hockey.  They all recovered quite well.  What I learned was that we used to call it 'getting your bell wrung',  coach would give you smelling salts and send you out on the field.  Why were we able to recover 'back in the day' and there is so much lasting effect today?  Did we not track it as well? Or.....is it the incredible increase in refined sugar in the diet these days? 

I know, people will poo-poo that argument, but after heading down that rabbit hole about refined sugar and how it effects your brain and its resiliency.  I think my kids recovered better because we had always limited the sugar as much as we could. Not vegan or anything, but things like soda, cereal and canned foods.  IDK, just seems like we're devolving as humans.  Sugar (in all its forms) and sugar substitutes are incredibly damaging.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I’m losing it, man. There have been two movies made in the past ten years that have truly excited me and made me feel anything. Film has been crap since the turn of the decade. 

Give this one a watch and let me know what you think.

Carnage.  John C Reilly, Jodie Foster, Kate Winslet, Christoph Walz

Two pairs of parents hold a cordial meeting after their sons are involved in a fight, though as their time together progresses, increasingly childish behavior throws the discussion into chaos.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1692486/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_40

Stumbled into it the other day, thought it was really well done.  Not an action flick, just a lot of great dialogue and scenes that drag on for a really long time taking a lot of twists and turns in that timeframe.

Just now, Norm said:

OMG this is the first time I've heard of this!!! /s

Lol sorry I'm an ***. I'll laugh if Myer still puts him on the PS, he's still eligible for that right

Ha. I had only seen the first once, but the second play was new to me.

Yes, he'd be eligible for the practice squad.

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

but also doubt Tebow would accept designation to the PS.

Why though? He was just a minor league player in baseball for 3 years or whatever it was. This idea that he turns his nose up at everything is a little overblown methinks

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That first block is no worse than anything Jimmy "the thief" Graham did as a blocker, and he kept that guy out of the play.  The second one... wow.

That's what the first one reminded me of lol. When there was the Graham Gronk debate Pats fans always found plays like that of him

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That first block is no worse than anything Jimmy "the thief" Graham did as a blocker, and he kept that guy out of the play.  The second one... wow.

Some fringe player made the Browns roster because of how good Tebow made them look.