NFL News & Notes

Leader

Ian Rapoport -   The Seahawks have agreed to terms on a large extension for star S Jamal Adams, a 4-year, $70M deal that makes him the league’s highest paid safety, I’m told. He gets $38M guaranteed, breaking the stalemate. A long time coming and well-deserved.

29 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

After Brandi Chastain scored the winning goal in the 1999 World Cup and took her shirt off, everyone fell in love with soccer for a brief moment and declared soccer was the next big thing. This has happened multiple times and each time the National novelty of it soon wore off. Soccer in this country is in its youth no question but kids move in from it too. My kids played it but both stopped after Kindergarten bcuz they enjoyed basketball and flag football more. 

Sure and I remember that moment and others. I just think there's more of a foundation of young people growing up with it than there ever was and I'm guessing? that will only grow. I think it will have it's day eventually, bigger than NFL, I don't go that far or anything. But it'll be far more of a big deal

• Like 1

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Oh I'm 100% aware that the changing demos are a reason for this.

We're a melting pot and soccer is a global sport naturally and will be for a long long long time because you can play it anywhere whether you're rich or dirt poor. So kids will continue to play it literally everywhere. 

and a good soccer ball isn't going to wreck your budget...

1 minute ago, Joe said:

and a good soccer ball isn't going to wreck your budget...

Exactly. Which is a big reason why it's so popular globally: anyone can play it.

Plus, we have the world cup in 2026 which is going to pour gas on the fire. I feel pretty confident that it's like an 80/20 split at my office among those under 30 where 80% watch/play/talk soccer and the other 20% follow NFL.

It's going to change quickly and there's billionaires betting on just that in the next 10 years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Exactly. Which is a big reason why it's so popular globally: anyone can play it.

Plus, we have the world cup in 2026 which is going to pour gas on the fire. I feel pretty confident that it's like an 80/20 split at my office among those under 30 where 80% watch/play/talk soccer and the other 20% follow NFL.

It's going to change quickly and there's billionaires betting on just that in the next 10 years.

I was unaware of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I have friends with young kids.  The parents absolutely love soccer.

Great way to run a lot of energy out of their children so they will go to bed early and sleep through the night.

...which leads to other small children in the house 9-10 months later.

@Packerraymond will understand this soon enough.

No soccer for my future kids please and thank you.

• Like 2

ProFootballTalk -  As the Delta variant spreads and the pandemic continues to rage, the NFL and its teams are constantly adjusting. One adjustment that isn’t expected relates to the plan to have full stadiums for every team.

Via Ben Fischer of Sports Business Journal, the NFL currently has no reason to believe that capacity will be limited in any market.

That said, some teams expect new mask mandates and/or vaccine requirements.

“Just as last year there were different fan experiences, there will be different fan experiences this year based on guidance from local officials and public health authorities,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told Fischer.

For the league, there will be a major difference. Much more revenue will be generated if/when fans are able to attend games.