NFL News & Notes

Leader

The explosion in soccer popularity has been predicted on and off since forever. The latest talk was when the local kid - DeMerit made the National Team or whatever that was. As long as it's boring af to watch, I'm not betting on it, or watching it

Edited by cannondale

Soccer is a success worldwide and it inspires fervor, betting the us will be the only developed nation where that is an exception is unlikely. Its only boring af if youve never played, its also accesible to a casual fan. Simplicity, tension, no convoluted scoring system. 

If more people play when theyre kids there will be more fans, theres still a long way to go but the U.S. has advanced so much in my lifetime i wouldnt count it out. 

2 minutes ago, ifeelasleep said:

Soccer is a success worldwide and it inspires fervor, betting the us will be the only developed nation where that is an exception is unlikely. Its only boring af if youve never played, its also accesible to a casual fan. Simplicity, tension, no convoluted scoring system. 

If more people play when theyre kids there will be more fans, theres still a long way to go but the U.S. has advanced so much in my lifetime i wouldnt count it out. 

And venison tastes good if you know how to cook it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ifeelasleep said:

Exactly. Folks who think otherwise probably have never left their hometown or state.

2 minutes ago, ifeelasleep said:

Periodically I try to watch it, but endless flopping is too much for me. It will need to go on without me. 

Played coed intramural soccer in college and enjoyed it, was very relatable to basketball for me. Fun to play, not to watch.   

Just now, R T said:

Periodically I try to watch it, but endless flopping is too much for me. It will need to go on without me. 

Played coed intramural soccer in college and enjoyed it, was very relatable to basketball for me. Fun to play, not to watch.   

Yeah the flopping is a problem, i dont watch as much anymore because of that and clubs owned by nations using them as PR.

I think its more accesible and thats why its a success, 90 minutes versus a 3/4 hours long match, not exactly casual friendly regardless of "excitement". The national aspect of a world cup is like the olympics it adds extra spice.

Just now, cannondale said:

Be my guest. The only way I can eat it without tasting the gaminess immediately is when it's made into sausage or beef sticks

I've never understood why "gamey" is a knock. I think marbled fatty corn fed beef tastes gross. Give me food that eats its real food every day of the week. Flavor is just wayyyyy better in wild game.

Just now, ifeelasleep said:

Yeah the flopping is a problem, i dont watch as much anymore because of that and clubs owned by nations using them as PR.

I think its more accesible and thats why its a success, 90 minutes versus a 3/4 hours long match, not exactly casual friendly regardless of "excitement". The national aspect of a world cup is like the olympics it adds extra spice.

Yep. And MLS needs to leverage world cup and promote its stars nationally more too, IMO. I'd watch a lot more soccer if they helped me choose a team/player to root for and follow. But "they" need to spoon-feed it more to the gen pop (like me). 

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I've never understood why "gamey" is a knock. I think marbled fatty corn fed beef tastes gross. Give me food that eats its real food every day of the week. Flavor is just wayyyyy better in wild game.

Agree, top of the list is flat meats. 

• Like 1