NFL News & Notes

Leader

12 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's awesome that those guys are getting out there. Even Sargent saw time at Norwich. 

Pulisic isn't the star at Chelsea. He's a solid piece, but Kante is fresh off DOMINATING the champions league, and Lukaku is going to destroy when he gets rolled out. Pulisic is in that busy second tier attacker group with Werner, Mount, and Havertz. 

Kante as a D middy who doesnt have a giant leg isnt ever going to get the pub he really deserves. Even if he is recognized as one of the best in the league, guy doesnt light the lamp. Plus hes got that super quiet worker mentality. Hes overshadowed by Pogba at every turn. 

Im obviously overselling our boy. But he'll get us to the round of 16 for the next 3 cups.

(I really only have a very casual knowledge of this if you cant tell fifa and soccer twitter is about as deep as i go)

Edited by HighCalebR

6 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Nearly 30 years ago USA hosted the world cup and the MLS didn't exist. In 5 years, we will host again having built up a nearly 30 team, multi-billion dollar league that has better attendance numbers than NBA and NHL essentially less than 2 decades after it didn't even exist.

Ive seen the MLS go from laughing stock to the same level as LigaMX. Meanwhile our league is so slow and boring i don't even watch it anymore, its like a low budget Italian league, it hasn't grown while the ingredients are all there. The growth is there, maybe the NFL can always be top dog because it dwarfs the others, but the rest are vulnerable. the 2026 world cup will have three countries involved, only soccer can pull off something like that. Its also the only sport where Qatar would host: bribery, PR.
I love football because of the tactical aspect, even during the offseason because of the draft and player acquisition. Soccer is like when Arod goes off script and makes something happen but for a whole match.

11 hours ago, cannondale said:

The explosion in soccer popularity has been predicted on and off since forever. The latest talk was when the local kid - DeMerit made the National Team or whatever that was. As long as it's boring af to watch, I'm not betting on it, or watching it

"Boring af to watch" doesn't even begin to describe how boring it is to watch. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Kampfgeist said:
  • Actual Global household names with major Clubs.   Not Lalas or Dempsey or McBride or Kirovsky or Reyna or Donovan or Bocanegra playing some minutes at fringe clubs like Celtic or Watford or Fulham but players playing and even excelling at the largest, most successful name-brand Clubs in the World -- Chelsea, Manchester City, Barcelona, Juventus, Dortmund, Schalke, Valencia, Lille and still the clubs like your RB Leipzig, Newcastle or Norwich City.   
  • Not aging domestic superstars, but fringe global talents like those named above - but young 18-24 yr old dudes the younger generations can relate to (all of the players with the major clubs fit that bill) and more are signing overseas everyday
  • Not the sadly overhyped 14 yr old Freddie Adu's but the highly successful debuts of Pulisic, McKennie, Dest, Reyna etc 
  • I can guarantee that 10 years ago a Dempsey or Donovan or McBride could walk down the street and not get mobbed, probably not even recognized, but I bet Pulisic and Reyna wouldn't have that same freedom
  • Domestic billionaires like Arthur Hunt, David Tepper or the Glazers recently pumping huge money into MLS teams and Premier League teams, not just their NFL franchises
  • Television rights and televised access to every major soccer league in the World.   MLS, Concacaf, Premier League, Bundesliga, La Liga games all readily available.   The only reason I have even considered Peacock is because they televise so many Premier League games
  • Within the last 2 days I saw ESPN or FS1 showing a Canadian domestic league game.    Seriously, a Canadian domestic league game being aired on a major sports channel !!
  • Recent - 2021 - big performances and positive results against a major hated rival - Mexico.  Results that were well-deserved and not fluky wins while being outclassed on the field.   Results from our household names living up to their hype
  • Major world clubs paying significant investment dollars in the US through tournaments like the ICC (International Champions Cup) or establishing US youth club teams like FC Barcelona has.  They even have full soccer immersion Middle and High Schools here in the US if you want your children to attend (tuition is approx $25-40k/year).  My son trained with actual Chelsea coaches in a clinic as the team travelled the country on a promotional tour.   Any guesses who he cheers for or how much he knew about English soccer teams before that day?
  • The rise of FANTASY SOCCER !!  https://fantasy.premierleague.com/      My interest in watching any and all Premier League games is directly correlated to my participation in fantasy soccer several years ago.   3 yrs later I can name obscure defensive players on the 20th ranked PL Club and scour the transfer news like a Packer transaction wire
  • Huge $ being poured into large soccer/sports complexes nationwide.   There are some legitimately immaculate complexes all around me now with 16-30 fields, both turf and grass, indoor facilities and out and pickup games being played at all hours.  That wasn't a thing growing up.
  • And push things out just past that 10 year timeframe and to add a more local touch.....Jay DeMerit.   Watching a local GB kid who grew up in Howard and whose father was a PE teacher at Bayview Middle School go from a good WI high school soccer career to playing for a 9th division England club to captaincy at Watford and ultimately playing for the USMNT @ a World Cup!     What kid playing soccer in GB can't look to his example and wonder if that could be him/her?  That's the generation that's been inspired to see greatness and to love the game.     Not familiar?  Look for his documentary
  • It's a process but the growth is exponential.   Not ever going to reach the heights of an NFL or NBA but it's share is growing

NO.....no.....no.

Can we get back to American football?  Make a f**king thread for Soccer if you want. It's boring.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Mmm Venison tenderloin is the best red meat on planet earth. 

It is up there for sure.  I'll take a great tuna steak over venison, though.  If we are considering fish meat, which I do.

My freezer is full of venison and walleye.  That is my "Sportsman's Surf and Turf".

13 hours ago, cannondale said:

Be my guest. The only way I can eat it without tasting the gaminess immediately is when it's made into sausage or beef sticks

If you are tasting gaminess, then either it is being cooked wrong, or you are eating the normal steaks or venison hamburger and not tenderloin.

My wife despised venison until I started making it for her.  Now she loves it.  Like you, she thought it tasted "gamey".  Not any more!

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

"Boring af to watch" doesn't even begin to describe how boring it is to watch. 

I think a lot of that has to do with our lack of understanding of the sport - nuances, etc.

6 hours ago, ifeelasleep said:

Ive seen the MLS go from laughing stock to the same level as LigaMX. Meanwhile our league is so slow and boring i don't even watch it anymore, its like a low budget Italian league, it hasn't grown while the ingredients are all there. The growth is there, maybe the NFL can always be top dog because it dwarfs the others, but the rest are vulnerable. the 2026 world cup will have three countries involved, only soccer can pull off something like that. Its also the only sport where Qatar would host: bribery, PR.
I love football because of the tactical aspect, even during the offseason because of the draft and player acquisition. Soccer is like when Arod goes off script and makes something happen but for a whole match.

The NHL is quietly making a comeback TBH. If the NBA wasn't as global as it currently is, I'd say it would be the most vulnerable of any league, but right now that title goes to baseball. Nobody seems to care about baseball unless you're in a major city like Chicago, NY, Boston, Philly, or even St. Louis. This has been well documented in Tampa Bay as well despite the success of the Rays. 

After my MBA I spent some time in KC when they were down-n-out back in the 90's and NOBODY cared about the Royals at all. Going to a baseball game is really just another activity even in some of those Midwestern cities like Minneapolis-St. Paul though the Iowa Cubs and Durham Bulls have quite the following. 

If the World Cup were hosted in Qatar, I would hope our team wouldn't make it...

41 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Bears 2nd round pick OT Teven Jenkins to have back surgery. 

"The goal is to get him back this season," Matt Nagy said.

Jenkins hadn't participated in any training camp practice while dealing with the injury.

Viewed as a first-round talent, Jenkins slipped into the second round, where the Bears traded up to snag the Oklahoma State product. Chicago brass has said throughout the process that they were aware of Jenkins' back issues in college, which presumably led to his draft-day fall.

"We were aware of the back issues in college, but these symptoms are new," Nagy noted.

New symptoms are concerning, particularly when it comes to back injuries for offensive tackles.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

"The goal is to get him back this season," Matt Nagy said.

Jenkins hadn't participated in any training camp practice while dealing with the injury.

Viewed as a first-round talent, Jenkins slipped into the second round, where the Bears traded up to snag the Oklahoma State product. Chicago brass has said throughout the process that they were aware of Jenkins' back issues in college, which presumably led to his draft-day fall.

"We were aware of the back issues in college, but these symptoms are new," Nagy noted.

New symptoms are concerning, particularly when it comes to back injuries for offensive tackles.

Starting to wonder if that's the reason we didn't draft him after all. He was a bit of a draft crush despite the injuries.

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

Bears 2nd round pick OT Teven Jenkins to have back surgery. 

He was damaged goods when they drafted him.  He missed his final few games with a back injury in 2019, and then skipped the 2020 season.  I liked this players nastiness, but there's a reason why he fell.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Norm said:

Maybe this is just where I live then. 35 and the last ten years it's just exploded here

it's always (in my lifetime) been bigger than football in the northeast, outside of the really big towns and cities.  So much cheaper to operate.

Edited by skibrett15
  • Like 1