NFL News & Notes

Leader

I'm not saying soccer isn't coming, but I don't think we're gonna have this huge shift in one generation.

As a spectator sport football is way more appealing to those who have never set foot on a football field.  Soccer also has a way less tactical element.

I would expect soccer to pick up fans from hockey rather than football - it's a more similar game in terms of flow and spacing.

COVID ALERT

Dr. Fauci fears that the Taliban's invasion of Kabul could become a major spreader event and recommends all Taliban members double mask and practice safe distancing.

LOCAL COVID ALERT  

In local COVID news today, Thor Bjorntson caught a state record 18 pound 3 ounce walleye out of Kangaroo Lake while fishing with his brothers Hans and Bjorn. The 3 of them were quarantining from work at the local cheese factory because of a COVID close contact situation that stemmed from the lutefisk feed at the Legion last weekend. 

KEEP CHECKING HERE FOR ALL YOUR COVID ALERTS

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

I would expect soccer to pick up fans from hockey rather than football - it's a more similar game in terms of flow and spacing.

As an avid hockey fan, this is patently false tbqh. NHL Hockey is fast and tight outside of the NY Islanders (due to who they employ as their GM and his archaic style that won him 3 cups). Soccer is plodding and wide open. 

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

As an avid hockey fan, this is patently false tbqh. NHL Hockey is fast and tight outside of the NY Islanders (due to who they employ as their GM and his archaic style that won him 3 cups). Soccer is plodding and wide open. 

it's patently false that hockey is closer to soccer than football is to soccer?

Albert Breer -   At Panthers/Ravens joint practice, Carolina CB Donte Jackson picked off Lamar Jackson, and the sideline erupted. Shaq Thompson picked up the ball and punted it. Ref threw a flag—maybe the first flag for taunting in practice is NFL history!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Hockey and soccer are nothing alike. 

free flowing ball movement.  Very few set pieces

offsides.

goals.  Goalkeepers.

everyone passes

attackers, midfield/center, defenders

tripping

out of bounds

instant frequent transition from offense to defense

delayed penalties.

Penalty shots.

Ties.

Getting put in time-out for fouls.

Borderline irrelevant coaches from an in-game perspective compared to football.

This is inherently a stupid argument, but I feel like you aren't willing to see the forest through the trees here.  The rules of the game are quite similar.

36 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

free flowing ball movement.  Very few set pieces

offsides.

goals.  Goalkeepers.

everyone passes

attackers, midfield/center, defenders

tripping

out of bounds

instant frequent transition from offense to defense

delayed penalties.

Penalty shots.

Ties.

Getting put in time-out for fouls.

Borderline irrelevant coaches from an in-game perspective compared to football.

This is inherently a stupid argument, but I feel like you aren't willing to see the forest through the trees here.  The rules of the game are quite similar.

u forgot the biggest similarity:

what two table games do most people have in their friends' parents' basements?

foosball, air hockey

coincidence? i think not

(side note: tennis is very similar to soccer and hockey too because of this)

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 10:33 AM, Leader said:

The Las Vegas Raiders are the first NFL team to require all fans attending home games to be vaccinated against COVID.

Kind of interesting given Nevada... wouldnt figure they’d be the first.

thought New York, seahawks or one of the Cali teams like the 49ers would be first.