NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

This is inherently a stupid argument, but I feel like you aren't willing to see the forest through the trees here.  The rules of the game are quite similar.

Watch the games and tell me they are similar rather than reading a rule book. You can't hit players in soccer, wear pads, use a stick, shoot a rubber puck, go to the penalty box, take minute long shifts on the ice due to the pace, power plays, 3 on 3 OT, continuous OT in the playoffs, 20 minute periods.

Some parts of the rules may be similar but the games themselves are far from similar. Soccer, and the pace of the game, would be more appealing to baseball fans before it would football or hockey fans.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Watch the games and tell me they are similar rather than reading a rule book. You can't hit players in soccer, wear pads, use a stick, shoot a rubber puck, go to the penalty box, take minute long shifts on the ice due to the pace, power plays, 3 on 3 OT, continuous OT in the playoffs, 20 minute periods.

Some parts of the rules may be similar but the games themselves are far from similar. Soccer, and the pace of the game, would be more appealing to baseball fans before it would football or hockey fans.

Slide tackling akin to checking. Stealing the ball similar to a stick lift. Shooting a puck with a stick, kicking the ball. 2 minute pk, yellow card 5 minute major red card. Both have penalty shots. Rate of play can be very high in soccer, the pitch is just wider so theres more space for guys off the ball to coast. But theres plenty of players in the NHL who just float to the right spot too.

I think youre mistaken that you think soccer cant be fairly physical. Flopping has been going rampant since they wont do anything to stop it. But the NHLs biggest star, crosby, has been accused of flopping plenty in his career.

Is it a direct translation from pitch to ice? No, but its pretty similar

30 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Zorreuax and Rojas are arguably better players, but the star power is definitely there for kent and tartt

I was surprised how little of the actual game they show though. I guess it's better in S2 but I've only had it on at work and saw like 5 minutes of each ep so far

1 minute ago, Norm said:

I was surprised how little of the actual game they show though. I guess it's better in S2 but I've only had it on at work and saw like 5 minutes of each ep so far

same. Other than the high drama situations of the game though I guess itd just be kind of a space eater when you can give them a little dialogue to describe their time on the pitch together. Quality show either way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

Is it a direct translation from pitch to ice? No, but its pretty similar

It's not, at all, but there's really no point to keep this going in a NFL News thread. 

FTR, I watch both regularly. I don't see them as a similar style game other than the rule book. It'd be like saying that Tennis and Badminton are similar because they use a net, lines and rackets.

Just now, beekay414 said:

It's not, at all, but there's really no point to keep this going in a NFL News thread. 

FTR, I watch both regularly. I don't see them as a similar style game other than the rule book. It'd be like saying that Tennis and Badminton are similar because they use a net, lines and rackets.

I watch both as well, just got some season tix to the wild.  Tennis and badminton are pretty similar you crazy person Hahah. 

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

I watch both as well, just got some season tix to the wild.  Tennis and badminton are pretty similar you crazy person Hahah. 

No way! Tennis and Badminton are nothing alike! C'mon. I guess beer pong and flip cup are the same because they use solo cups and a table!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

And other slight difference.....one is played while balancing on skates.

57 minutes ago, Joe said:

We'll have a new sport called hipball. You'll have a ball the size of a volleyball and you can only move it or pass it by thrusting your hips into it...

it already exists its called Ulama, the proto version was played by the ancient mesoamerican people.
if it was sarcastic woosh.

Edited by ifeelasleep

20 minutes ago, Leader said:

Adam Schefter -   Tests on Jets’ DE Carl Lawson revealed he suffered a season-ending torn Achilles.

They also had a safety, Zane Lewis tear his patellar tendon and sprain his ACL. 

Not sure Salah is going to want to do those joint practices with us again. 

Bad enough to lose a guy in a game. Entirely another level of suck when you lose them in practice. 

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

They also had a safety, Zane Lewis tear his patellar tendon and sprain his ACL.

I also heard a WR (Mims?) was carted off.
A bad day to be a Jet.

Glad the black cloud wasnt on our sideline - and hope it stays that way through the game.