NFL News & Notes

Leader

ProFootballTalk -   The NFLPA has opened an investigation into the Jaguars over coach Urban Meyer's comments on the vaccination status of players.

PFT did not clarify the exact nature of the investigation but it can be added to the long list of controversies that have plagued Meyer's initial months in Jacksonville. Meyer admitted that the Jaguars' decision-makers considered a player's vaccination status when choosing who to cut to reach their final roster.

24 minutes ago, Leader said:

ProFootballTalk -   The NFLPA has opened an investigation into the Jaguars over coach Urban Meyer's comments on the vaccination status of players.

PFT did not clarify the exact nature of the investigation but it can be added to the long list of controversies that have plagued Meyer's initial months in Jacksonville. Meyer admitted that the Jaguars' decision-makers considered a player's vaccination status when choosing who to cut to reach their final roster.

Good lord, how is this remotely a controversy? You would 1000% cut a fringe guy if his medicals showed he was at higher risk of missing games throughout the year. Now imagine a guy who is not only at risk of missing games himself, but who also could force other players on the team to miss time as well. I'm sure every coach and GM in the league is thinking about this the same way as Meyer, he's just the only one (so far) saying it out loud.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Good lord, how is this remotely a controversy? You would 1000% cut a fringe guy if his medicals showed he was at higher risk of missing games throughout the year. Now imagine a guy who is not only at risk of missing games himself, but who also could force other players on the team to miss time as well. I'm sure every coach and GM in the league is thinking about this the same way as Meyer, he's just the only one (so far) saying it out loud.

Though it makes sense to consider a players vax status, the protocols were put in place following agreement with the NFLPA that vax status wouldnt be a factor in player/roster decisions. So Urban - being Urban and not realizing he's no longer King of the Castle (and basically running an entire school) - was stupid to answer the question as he did.

Belichek on the other hand put the matter to rest when asked about Cam and if his status played into it:  "No"
End of discussion. End of issue.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Or worse yet, imagine the player contributes to the situation where you have to forfeit a game or two.   All things being equal, teams will definitely keep the vaccinated guy over an unvaccinated guy with similar talent and ability to contribute to the effort.  They just won't say it.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Though it makes sense to consider a players vax status, the protocols were put in place following agreement with the NFLPA that vax status wouldnt be a factor in player/roster decisions. So Urban - being Urban and not realizing he's no longer King of the Castle (and basically running an entire school) - was stupid to answer the question as he did.

Belichek on the other hand put the matter to rest when asked about Cam and if his status played into it:  "No"

Living in Florida, you have a better feeling for Urban's situation than I do, but it looks to me that he feels he is willing to pay the fine in order to set the expectation that his players need to be willing to sacrifice for the team's best interest. 

I admire him honestly stating the obvious as opposed to going along with the fantasy that league officials were trying to sell.

The record is being amended......

Ian Rapoport -   The Jaguars released a statement after the NFLPA said it would investigate Urban Meyer’s comments about cut-down day and unvaccinated players: “No player was released because of their vaccination status.”

Just now, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Living in Florida, you have a better feeling for Urban's situation than I do, but it looks to me that he feels he is willing to pay the fine in order to set the expectation that his players need to be willing to sacrifice for the team's best interest. I admire him honestly stating the obvious as opposed to going along with the fantasy that league officials were trying to sell.

I probably dont have any more insight in the Jax situation than you do. My comment simply spoke to the power that Urban wielded at Ohio State and Florida - head of HUGE football programs that fueled (read: funded) a lot of the school. He was untouchable (and he knew it) - whereas - in the NFL, he's an employee. 

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Looks like Irv Smith is likely out for the season for the Vikes.

Drafted him with the last pick in fantasy.  The curse works!  Now I gotta swing a trade for Cook.

The last thing I heard on their flagship station was 'meniscus' and he'd be back in a few weeks.

That they were looking for TEs anyway because they are so thin there.

https://www.vikings.com/news/irv-smith-injury-surgery-anthony-barr-2021-season

Edited by Dubz41

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Its just making coaches be dishonest though

i would rather see coaches (except MLF) be allowed to give a glimpse of whats going on.

of course a players availability factors in, as well it should

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

how does that work? when would they get the next top choice? do they become #32 and it keeps snaking?

Nope, they have the first pick for as many players as they want. They could select the first 53 players if they wanted. 

• Like 1