NFL News & Notes

Leader

44 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's a miracle Billy Turner hasn't told us to go **** ourselves yet. His cap hit in the third year of his deal is 4.85 million. 

If Elgton Jenkins plays well at LT in Bak's absence he's going to demand a new contract before showing up for his contract year. 

No way an agent could allow him to go to camp with that one year at a little over 2 million total cap. He's going to want elite tackle money and probably will deserve it. 

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

If Elgton Jenkins plays well at LT in Bak's absence he's going to demand a new contract before showing up for his contract year. 

No way an agent could allow him to go to camp with that one year at a little over 2 million total cap. He's going to want elite tackle money and probably will deserve it. 

There's really no difference in the pay of a top 5 RT vs top 5 G. It's a different story for a top 5 LT. If Jenkins goes for top 5 LT money, things could get sticky. Don't know if any team can afford to have that much cap space tied up in the 2 T positions. Bakhtiari's cap hit 2022-2024 as things stand now  would be 22.8M/26.3M/30.3M. 

3 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

There's really no difference in the pay of a top 5 RT vs top 5 G. It's a different story for a top 5 LT. If Jenkins goes for top 5 LT money, things could get sticky. Don't know if any team can afford to have that much cap space tied up in the 2 T positions. Bakhtiari's cap hit 2022-2024 as things stand now  would be 22.8M/26.3M/30.3M. 

You can afford it if youre not paying the QB

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's a miracle Billy Turner hasn't told us to go **** ourselves yet. His cap hit in the third year of his deal is 4.85 million. 

Damn, didn't realize it was that low.  And he only got $9 million guaranteed.  And he's only 30, meaning he's got another contract in him for sure the way he's playing.  Now that you mention it, it's almost weird he hasn't held out or otherwise demanded recompense. 

51 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

This will be year 3, he's got no leverage heading into year 4/5

26 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

I didn't mention RT. I said he's going to want elite tackle money. If he plays well these six games at LT, he's going to want to be paid, significantly more than he'd get paid at guard. 

By the way, the top 5 RT vs. the top 5 guards is 3 million per year. That is a pretty significant difference. Close to the difference between the pay of the top 5 LT's compared to the top 5 RT. 

NFL Salary Rankings | Spotrac

30 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He's a second round pick, there is no year 5 on his contract. He will have as much leverage as TJ Watt has currently. Actually more since Watt is making close to 40 - 50% of what his contract will pay him in another year. Jenkins will be making less than 15%. 

I did state that a bit incorrectly though. He'll show up and 'hold in' just like Watt is doing. Again, there is no agent in the NFL that is going to allow him to play on the last year of that deal next year. It would be malpractice. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I didn't mention RT. I said he's going to want elite tackle money. If he plays well these six games at LT, he's going to want to be paid, significantly more than he'd get paid at guard. 

By the way, the top 5 RT vs. the top 5 guards is 3 million per year. That is a pretty significant difference. Close to the difference between the pay of the top 5 LT's compared to the top 5 RT. 

NFL Salary Rankings | Spotrac

Yeah, since I made my post the numbers for a top 5 RT went up because the Vikings signed Brian O'Neill to an extension. Damn Vikings!

My point was that the Packers might not want to pay Jenkins top 5 LT money because they're already paying that to Bakhtiari, but might be willing to pay the lower top 5 RT money. Of course, these numbers are all fluid. Who knows what the top 5 numbers will look like by later this year? 

14 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Damn, didn't realize it was that low.  And he only got $9 million guaranteed.  And he's only 30, meaning he's got another contract in him for sure the way he's playing.  Now that you mention it, it's almost weird he hasn't held out or otherwise demanded recompense. 

14 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

When Bak was/is healthy, would you lose much sleep with Turner telling us to go eff ourselves? I'd move Elgton/Kelly to RT and say see ya. Billy is nice to have on the roster, but he's not irreplaceable. Especially with Bak off PUP.

Edited by Arthur Penske

I doubt Turner will be here next year. They'll save about 3M on the cap by cutting him. Jenkins will be at RT. Newman will be at one G position. Runyan, Patrick and Van Lanen will likely battle for the other G position. I suspect Newman may get switched to LG as his footwork may make him the superior pass blocker.   

42 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

I doubt Turner will be here next year. They'll save about 3M on the cap by cutting him. Jenkins will be at RT. Newman will be at one G position. Runyan, Patrick and Van Lanen will likely battle for the other G position. I suspect Newman may get switched to LG as his footwork may make him the superior pass blocker.   

Maybe if it's a post June cut, getting 6M back instead of 3M (and deferring 3M dead cap to 2023). Otherwise, I don't see the benefit of dealing with 6M in dead cap AND having find an equal or better replacement for 3M or less.

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

The Death Wish position......Baltimore RB:

Adam Schefter -   Ravens fear that RB Gus Edwards suffered a season-ending torn ACL during today's practice.

What the heck is going on in Baltimore?  That’s 4 players with torn ACLs including two RBs in recent weeks.  Is their training surface made of legos?  Is it their S&C coach??

15 minutes ago, Leader said:

The Death Wish position......Baltimore RB:

Adam Schefter -   Ravens fear that RB Gus Edwards suffered a season-ending torn ACL during today's practice.

OMG! Talk about bad luck, but fortunately for them they still have their #1 RB (Lamar Jackson) still healthy!

Le'Veon Bell is going to be the bell cow once again. 

Edited by Old Guy