NFL News & Notes

Leader

7 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

Gotta love the generation of judgment. We all have done this and worse. Do t care if he gets hired again or not but why must he show anyone anything to get any chance again. We are all no different. We all think we are good and really we are not. 

might wanna sit this one out.

I didn’t realize this forum was made up of the church choir. So your saying never in your life have you said or written “something” that would offend a group of people “somewhere”? Never? Bull****.

I think Gruden is a hack for the record, I’ve never liked him at any level. Kicked around the idea of him being a coordinator for us a few years ago but that ship has long sailed. The point is, cancel culture is toxic and nobody is immune. If your unliked by a group, they will find a way to get it done.

Also, for the record, the NFL is full of players who have used violence against woman and also rapist, but we turn a blind eye that because they are the “moneymakers”.

Antonio Brown, Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill. Hell everyone knows Ben Roethlisburger did it and Ray Lewis was in the car when his buddies killed a man, but they get a pass.

Im not saying what Gruden did was okay. I’m saying everyone right now is in a glass house throwing stones.

Edited by Siman08/OH

39 minutes ago, Siman08/OH said:

Antonio Brown, Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill. Hell everyone knows Ben Roethlisburger did it and Ray Lewis was in the car when his buddies killed a man, but they get a pass.

I wish that stuff didn't get a pass too. I don't get to make those decisions though. But I also don't defend them. 

• Like 1

Yeah, this is really indefensible.  I do think that there are plenty of times in the last few years where people have been "cancelled" frivolously, but Lord, this ain't one of them.

As incog said, this garbage is stuff he has written to people in a professional setting, not just some joshing around at a titty bar.  

Will he get hired at some point in the future?  Who the hell cares?  The part of this culture I'll never get is why we think people with celebrity status are somehow wronged if they are relegated to just normal folk like the rest of us.  Why would it be so bad if he never worked in the NFL again?  I'm never gonna work in the NFL in the future and no one feels sorry for me.

• Like 1

I haven't seen many of the emails or supposed emails, just the talk in general.  I can guarantee you, he is not alone.  There are many others in his position hoping ancient conversations are not found.  In todays cancel liberty and freedom and sound asleep "woke" movement witches are burned at the stake.   Not excusing any such communications from him, again I don't know the depth of them.  At the same time we have racist hate groups being glorified by the very same media and people in power.  Very interesting times indeed...

• Like 1

Its funny to me the same people who complain about woke culture and employers being able to fire employees for things they say or do outside the work place are the same people who vote for laws that allow employers to fire people for things they say or do outside the workplace...

There is a fine line between joking around with the boys (even if I still find it to be a characteristic of a pretty immature and damaging mindset) to being an outright bigot. IMO he crossed those lines pretty easily. This wasn't a one off joke meme between boomers on Facebook or a group of high schoolers ribbing each other. This was a grown man who had messages well past the point of it being socially acceptable and frankly pretty disgusting stuff going up to 2018. These weren't ancient conversations and saying as much is just downplaying his behavior. 

• Like 3

Nobody is down playing anything.  The emails I have seen were made when he was not an employee of the NFL or their teams.  I haven't seen the majority of them though the way it sounds.  It's fine to have an opinion, and it's fine not to agree with another's opinion.  But the attack on free speech and the 1st Amendment is very real.  I'd like to know what his payoff is.  I guarantee you lawyers were involved, and I guarantee you his payoff was substantial.  That's because he most definitely did nothing illegal.  The "attack" on women really is laughable.  His primary attack being he was against women being refs or coaches?   Now let's talk about the lyrics in todays rap noise but of course that gets a total pass by the leftist media and their sheep.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

It wouldn't surprise me if media companies were talking to Gruden already about broadcasting.  Not right away but down the road.  Coaching in the NFL is likely gone for him, but he'll have a good market for broadcasting.  

This guy's career has a Bobby Knight feel to it....and once he was gone, he stayed gone.

10 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

I don't see any NFL team hiring him. He's not worth the baggage. He's 22-31 since returning to he Raiders. He hasn't won a playoff game since he won a Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's defense.

8 hours ago, Striker said:

I don't really know if "good" is something that should be associated with Gruden, even before this. He's basically Jeff Fisher if "The Tackle" never happened. He even has a worse winning percentage and a marginally better playoff record.

I think this is the correct answer.  The real winners in this is the Raiders organization because they don't have to live up to the entire 10 year contract for Gruden.  They get a mulligan on a really bad hire, let's see if they can get it right with a second chance.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

This guy's career has a Bobby Knight feel to it....and once he was gone, he stayed gone.

Perhaps coaching wise, but Gruden isn't 75 years old like Knight was.  TV is about ratings,  and Gruden brings ratings.  You want to see vanilla Bill Cowher on the CBS pregame show or Jon Gruden?   

TV execs are about ratings.  Gruden will have some options down the road if he chooses.

Edited by NFLGURU

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think this is the correct answer.  The real winners in this is the Raiders organization because they don't have to live up to the entire 10 year contract for Gruden.  They get a mulligan on a really bad hire, let's see if they can get it right with a second chance.

Well, they do still have Mike Mayock but maybe it will let them clean house completely and not have a GM chosen by the coach.

Oh it's ALL part of the induced "culture"  We have our current hack AG threatening parents speaking at school board meetings with FBI storm troopers just for saying something big power government doesn't like about their forced crt or virus mandates.  It doesn't matter on every issue if the gov is involved or not, they are forcing the issue one way or another.  That's what and where this sound asleep "woke" joke is and where it is originating from.