NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

Perhaps coaching wise, but Gruden isn't 75 years old like Knight was.  TV is about ratings,  and Gruden brings ratings.  You want to see vanilla Bill Cowher on the CBS pregame show or Jon Gruden? TV execs are about ratings.  Gruden will have some options down the road if he chooses.

Could be, I cant say other than I think that would be a real heavy lift.

Listen - I actually dont give two ***** about Gruden outside his current headlines. I personally think what he said was repugnant and deserving of the condemnation he's receiving - plus - its not as if this was a single comment. We probably dont know all of what he's said - but they were made over an ***extended*** period.

This is who he is.

Somebody wants to hire that? I dont see it, but fine. Whenever that happens, it's all gonna come back to life. If his potential employer wants to put up with that.....more power to them - but it wont change the character of the guy being hired.

20 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I think this is where I’m at. The issue I have is it is with a different employer and how many years ago? Like this screams to me a situation that happened months ago where a woman got an editor and chief job at a publication but all of her soon to be team members went thru her social media and found troubling comments and basically stopped the woman from getting hired. She made the comments when she was like 16 or something.

Its setting up a situation where people have to be perfect from cradle to grave. Which if that’s the case... cool but everyone needs to know what they are signing up for. And a lot of people aren’t going to be able to handle that type of moral compass.

Plus everyone is dunking on Gruden right now... but it’s like Andrew Brandt tweeted, executives everywhere in the league called their IT departments. That would tell me there are a lot of people in the league that can likely have things brought to light too. Maybe not the stuff Gruden did... but likely things that could be seen as problematic as well.

The issue we're all missing isn't that OMG he said bad stuff omg that's naughty. It's there's very very high odds he lost that locker room. And that's his job. I can't say for sure this is true, I'm obviously speculating, but if he lost too many in there he can't do the job he's hired for anymore. This is important.

Granted, I'm aware a couple guys came out and said they don't care, but there's a lot of dudes in there and I'm sure a few were not thrilled. 

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

Could be, I cant say other than I think that would be a real heavy lift.

Listen - I actually dont give two ***** about Gruden outside his current headlines. I personally think what he said was repugnant and deserving of the condemnation he's receiving - plus - its not as if this was a single comment. We probably dont know all of what he's said - but they were made over an ***extended*** period.

This is who he is.

Somebody wants to hire that? I dont see it, but fine. Whenever that happens, it's all gonna come back to life. If his potential employer wants to put up with that.....more power to them - but it wont change the character of the guy being hired.

Agreed.

That's one of the comments that was going around, "people can change" but this happened for a while up until 2018 I think I read. Chances are yes, this is still who he is. 

Just because a bunch of people have said or thought this same crap doesn't make it okay either. Neither does crap *** humans getting to still play or ******* rap or whatever existing. Whataboutism gets so old anymore. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Its setting up a situation where people have to be perfect from cradle to grave. Which if that’s the case... cool but everyone needs to know what they are signing up for. And a lot of people aren’t going to be able to handle that type of moral compass.

I've never found it difficult whatsoever to NOT say things remotely similar to what he said even in casual settings, much less at work and electronically. Have to be a baseline level of "socially aware" to avoid those things. I've never heard anything even close to resembling that at work and I'm in an industry dominated by males, too.

Citing "perfection" is a huge strawman. What you mean is "common decency" - which most people possess. At least in many, many professional circles.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Norm said:

The issue we're all missing isn't that OMG he said bad stuff omg that's naughty. It's there's very very high odds he lost that locker room. And that's his job. I can't say for sure this is true, I'm obviously speculating, but if he lost too many in there he can't do the job he's hired for anymore. This is important.

Granted, I'm aware a couple guys came out and said they don't care, but there's a lot of dudes in there and I'm sure a few were not thrilled. 

Did he though? I mean everyone is going to write that, more so with Nassib etc. Them losing to the bears a sign of it? Who knows.

I mean it’s clear Urban has lost his locker room why hasn’t he resigned in disgrace? He did naughty things too. And we have leaks from players about how they are openly laughing at him at this point.

I guess the hard aspect of this is people clearly want to enforce punishment on behavior that doesn’t have a legal definition or legal punishment. And because of it, it’s very inconsistent.

Could Gruden get the kimmel treatment? Basically step away for a month and just apologize and come back to the team. Is he banned from the nfl for life now? Who knows...

3 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Did he though? I mean everyone is going to write that, more so with Nassib etc. Them losing to the bears a sign of it? Who knows.

I mean it’s clear Urban has lost his locker room why hasn’t he resigned in disgrace? He did naughty things too. And we have leaks from players about how they are openly laughing at him at this point.

I guess the hard aspect of this is people clearly want to enforce punishment on behavior that doesn’t have a legal definition or legal punishment. And because of it, it’s very inconsistent.

Could Gruden get the kimmel treatment? Basically step away for a month and just apologize and come back to the team. Is he banned from the nfl for life now? Who knows...

I mean Urban isn't going to survive this season. He probably doesn't survive a couple more losses. Probably hasn't resigned yet because him resigning from teams is such a ******* meme already.

Anyways

All this they want to enforce blah blah but he resigned. The public didn't lynch him. The thing was just barely rolling, it was pretty sudden. Some **** definitely happened behind it all, I can't say for sure but it seems more logically than he was scared of mad people on the internet. 

Edited by Norm

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

Just stop. You're twisting yourself up like a pretzel with a whole bunch of unrelated comparisons.

Far as we know, Urban Meyer got a lap dance - something the majority of men in an NFL locker room know well. He wasnt revealed as a racist, sexist, homophobic pig. Though Urban made some challenging hires.....there's no comparison to Gruden. 

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Just stop. You're twisting yourself up like a pretzel with a whole bunch of unrelated comparisons.

Far as we know, Urban Meyer got a lap dance - something the majority of men in an NFL locker room know well. He wasnt revealed as a racist, sexist, homophobic pig. Though Urban made some challenging hires.....there's no comparison to Gruden. 

Exactly. If Urban had done this same stuff at OSU and it just came out, with the way everything else went, he'd be gone too, I'm pretty damn sure. 

This doesn't look like some oopsie mistake, idk why some are acting like it was

1 minute ago, Norm said:

Exactly. If Urban had done this same stuff at OSU and it just came out, with the way everything else went, he'd be gone too, I'm pretty damn sure. This doesn't look like some oopsie mistake, idk why some are acting like it was

There was something back in Urban's OSU days. It didnt involve his actions directly - but apparently he hired / shielded a less than scrupulous guy - until it went public and he was forced to get rid of him.  

Dont remember the details of what the guy did - but apparently Urban knew about it and brought him along / hired him regardless.

So "woke" Urban wasnt.

20 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Here's the disconnect: I'm not sure anyone here cares if  Urban or Gruden were actually fired or were/are pushing for it. We all just understand they're turds and approve of their dismissals because they're totally unprofessional and their behavior would make all (well, most) of us not respect them or want to work with them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Leader said:

So you think getting a lap dance by a strange woman that isn’t his wife isnt a sign he is a sexist pig?

12 minutes ago, Green19 said:

So you think getting a lap dance by a strange woman that isn’t his wife isnt a sign he is a sexist pig?

Listen....you dont know me, but you're not chatting with a moralist. I dont exist on that wavelength - so - I'm less inclined to moralize about the behavior of others....than perhaps some others.

I think (and have said) that Urban's *public* actions were really stupid (at best). I mean...."what could he possibly be thinking stupid" - but that's it for me. I dont think he deserves to be fired over it and and I certainly dont know the state of his marriage - so I'm not going there.