NFL News & Notes

Leader

Cross-posting myself from elsewhere, with slight alterations:

There's nothing cool, manly, or otherwise admirable about the stuff Gruden said. It was all garbage and should be treated like that. But there is nothing "progressive" about firing employees for saying stupid things. Quite the opposite, it just ****s over working people.

Personally, I am convinced these emails were leaked so that the Raiders could weasel out of the outrageous $100M+ contract they handed him. Raiders fans generally do not seem to think he is worth what they have been paying him (passable coach but holds this team back as a poor talent evaluator); I am guessing the owners feel similarly. It will be interesting to see if they try to use this as an "out" for them not to pay whatever they are still on the hook for.

Compare the objections here to the allegations against Robert Kraft, who does not seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. This is the reality of Cancel Culture in our hellworld -- expendable employees get canceled by weaponized accusations, yet suddenly we must all learn the virtues of forgiveness and personal growth when business/political elites do the same or worse!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

Striker you set your bar way to high sure is easy isn't it.

You like others hold to just those details when most of us have said or done worse.  

Rather what I mean is you who is blemish or sin free cast the first stone brother.

I didn't send emails but I've made many many mistakes in my life some recently. I try to learn and grow but I won't hold the stone and I can't throw it at Gruden cause I have been there in his place. When we look at the log in our own eye before we point at the twig in another's eye maybe we'll see some real change. 

Holy ****, spare me the Bible ****.

I like to hold people to higher standards. Especially in the year 2021. And even before I started to become more acutely aware of the greater impact of my language and actions on marginalized folks, I can safely say I did not say or do worse.

This also isn't a one off thing he did at age 16 or 20 or whatever. This is a pattern of behavior.

And these patterns can't just be ignored, especially when you're trying to create a safe/equitable working environment.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Striker said:

Holy ****, spare me the Bible ****.

I like to hold people to higher standards. Especially in the year 2021. And even before I started to become more acutely aware of the greater impact of my language and actions on marginalized folks, I can safely say I did not say or do worse.

This also isn't a one off thing he did at age 16 or 20 or whatever. This is a pattern of behavior.

And these patterns can't just be ignored, especially when you're trying to create a safe/equitable working environment.

You kind of weaken your own argument of being aware of the impact of words when you belittle people’s religious beliefs by saying “Bible *expletive*”.

9 hours ago, Gopher Trace said:

Cross-posting myself from elsewhere, with slight alterations:

There's nothing cool, manly, or otherwise admirable about the stuff Gruden said. It was all garbage and should be treated like that. But there is nothing "progressive" about firing employees for saying stupid things. Quite the opposite, it just ****s over working people.

Personally, I am convinced these emails were leaked so that the Raiders could weasel out of the outrageous $100M+ contract they handed him. Raiders fans generally do not seem to think he is worth what they have been paying him (passable coach but holds this team back as a poor talent evaluator); I am guessing the owners feel similarly. It will be interesting to see if they try to use this as an "out" for them not to pay whatever they are still on the hook for.

Compare the objections here to the allegations against Robert Kraft, who does not seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. This is the reality of Cancel Culture in our hellworld -- expendable employees get canceled by weaponized accusations, yet suddenly we must all learn the virtues of forgiveness and personal growth when business/political elites do the same or worse!

1. John Gruden resigned. He did not get fired. We can only hope it was out of remorse and shame and not because it was the only viable career move with his locker room rebelling.

2. This wasn't a situation where the emails were leaked by a hacker or something. The NFL discovered these emails in the course of an investigation into Bruce Allen. To not release these emails would be covering things up.

3. The Washington Redskins participated in human trafficking. They flew their cheerleaders out of the country, took away their passports and pressured them to schmooze with rich ticket guys and take part in a topless photo shoot. These were people employed by an NFL team. Bruce Allen and John Gruden then sent nude photos of female employees who had been human trafficked back and forth to each other. This was absurd beyond belief.

3b. The NFL paid a **** ton of money to keep this story out of ESPN and the nationalist press. During Gruden makes

4. The other f word was not permissable in polite society even during the period of these emails.

5. You can't be racist in a league that's majority Black.

6. You can't send emails to an NFL executive encouraging them to violate the CBA to collude to keep a player jobless.

7. You can't call the commissioner of the league an anti-gay slur. 

8. Being friends with Bruce Allen should be a fireable offense.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Green19 said:

You kind of weaken your own argument of being aware of the impact of words when you belittle people’s religious beliefs by saying “Bible *expletive*”.

One is a choice, the others are not. Not NEARLY as much sympathy for people belittled by choices they make. Especially certain ones that are harmful to society.

But belittling people based on inherent characteristics is reprehensible.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I fully agree with this.

The issue I have is when someone is called a racist, a bigot etc when what they were actually doing is belittling someone because they don't like them the individual, rather than they have an issue with black people, gays etc.

It blows up something  from being bad into something that becomes indefensible.

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

One is a choice, the others are not. Not NEARLY as much sympathy for people belittled by choices they make. Especially certain ones that are harmful to society.

... and some may feel their faith isn’t a choice.

Look everyone can do whatever mental gymnastics to justify their position to sleep better at night. The poster was talking “high standards” and “impact of words”... but in the same post belittling a religious belief.

You know religion... a certain aspect of a person’s/people’s being that has lead to them facing terrible treatment thru out all of human history. Also one of the main reasons why America was founded... religious freedoms.

So forgive me if I find it hilarious posters talking of “high standards” when it comes to treatment of people thru words but then in the same post belittle an aspect of a lot of people’s being, just seems hilariously hypocritical.

If you care about people... care about people, and understand sensitive matters. Just stating a simple fact that faith is one of those matters.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Green19 said:

... and some may feel their faith isn’t a choice.

Look everyone can do whatever mental gymnastics to justify their position to sleep better at night. The poster was talking “high standards” and “impact of words”... but in the same post belittling a religious belief.

You know religion... a certain aspect of a person’s/people’s being that has lead to them facing terrible treatment thru out all of human history. Also one of the main reasons why America was founded... religious freedoms.

So forgive me if I find it hilarious posters talking of “high standards” when it comes to treatment of people thru words but then in the same post belittle an aspect of a lot of people’s being, just seems hilariously hypocritical.

If you care about people... care about people, and understand sensitive matters. Just stating a simple fact that faith is one of those matters.

Nothing more true.  You only have to look at Super Bowl half time noise to see hypocrisy at its very best.  But that's state and sheep approved.

Edited by 15412

16 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I think you hang out with the wrong type of people. Your perception of human behavior is extremely skewed...

Haha, no I spend time with other humans. I've just had my eyes opened to the truth though. By all means enjoy your seat at the high table of those that do no wrong. I can't say much more than that. Congratulations on your perfection as a human in doing no wrong ever:) 

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Did you see the report yesterday that is where the emails came from? The investigation of the Redskins. 

Yeah that was on me, I had no idea they used them like that. That's insane. Heard that but long after I made that post, my fault