NFL News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Andrew Brandt -   The NFL just re-upped with FOX/ESPN/NBC/CBS and Amazon for a collective $110 BILLION over 12 years. And they may end up looking like good deals for the networks.

That’s a sh!t-ton of money over 12 years.  Guessing Andrew thinks inflation is making this a good deal, cuz it seems overkill to me.  Surely this will lead to a cap increase, but I’m also sure the NFL will find a way to squander at least a portion of the revenue somehow.

25 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

That’s a sh!t-ton of money over 12 years.  Guessing Andrew thinks inflation is making this a good deal, cuz it seems overkill to me.  Surely this will lead to a cap increase, but I’m also sure the NFL will find a way to squander at least a portion of the revenue somehow.

That's $143million per team, per year, on average, for player salaries by itself. That's a big number.

40 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Thats where Goodell earns every penny of his salary.

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Whenever the big increase hits, free agents are gonna be licking their chops. 

But first they're all gonna take it in the shorts. The article is a year old, but shines a light on some of the deal
Interesting article below on the cap ramifications of the pandemic - and how the players are on the hook for interest payments on the cap "debt" and how the NFLPA eliminated player benefits to the tune of $ 17M per team

https://www.25hourideas.com/blog/nfl-covid-true-up

"Following the 2020 season, whatever is played of it, the NFL is going to find massive revenue shortfalls from their projections. According to the CBA, that would decrease each team's 2021 salary cap by an unprecedented amount. To remedy the situation, the NFL and NFLPA agreed to the amendments in this document. 

First, several player benefits are eliminated for not only this season but most likely future seasons as well. These include the Player Annuity Program, Performance Based Pool, Tuition Assistance Plan, and Pro Bowl Game pay, among others. Going back to the calculation of the salary cap, the calculation of benefits works in a similar fashion. With the three buckets of revenue comprising AR, a predetermined percentage is allocated to player costs overall (salary cap and player benefits).

Instead of taking a hit to this season’s salary cap (which would be difficult because drastic shake-ups would be required), the NFLPA agreed to eliminate these benefits. Either way, the money comes out of player costs. All in all, the estimated savings are $17m per team this year."

...I challenge you to find even one person who has mentioned the interest that will be paid on this 2020 COVID True-Up. Page 2, section 2a of the new agreement reads “The 2020 COVID True-Up shall be spread, with interest at the rate of 3% per annum, as a credit (deduction) to the Salary Caps in the 2021, 2022, and, if necessary, 2023 League Years.” Let’s say that the true-up is spread equally through 2023. That’s hundreds of millions of dollars, if not a billion dollars, that the players are collectively paying 3% interest on. "

They did all kinds of flips & twists to cover for the massive pandemic losses, but many of those tactics are coming home to roost over the next few years. I'm sure the star players will be just fine, but the rank & file will be disproportionately impacted. The elimination of the Performance Pool benefit hurts many young players who have outplayed their rookie deals - and would have been in line to make an extra $100-500K/yr. Each team had an extra bucket of about $3.5M/yr to spend on young ascending players. That's gone.