Donald Penn Holding Out

BayRaider

This could seriously have a huge negative impact on our team. However, in no way do we give Donald a new contract. He is 34 years old coming off a injury that ended his season. This is probably his last year for us and yet he is holding out for a new contract.. doesn't make any sense. Makes me irriated with Penn.. he has zero leverage here except for us struggling at LT. But thay's not worth giving out a contract for. 

Yeah, like, I get that he wants to make more money before retiring.  And that he's playing at a high level.  But if he misses serious time, or holds out into the season, that's pretty selfish.  I agree its not worth giving him a new contract.  Maybe increase his bonus or something?

5 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Yeah, like, I get that he wants to make more money before retiring.  And that he's playing at a high level.  But if he misses serious time, or holds out into the season, that's pretty selfish.  I agree its not worth giving him a new contract.  Maybe increase his bonus or something?

Yeah I think that is all that he can hope for. They get a 1 year extension with only the signing bonus guaranteed til a certain date. Then Penn can hope he looks great this year and we decide to keep him. After this stunt tho I'd draft a T in the 1st rd next year no matter what we do with Pen this year.

I cant be mad at his agents use of leverage right after we cut Howard.

5 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Yeah I think that is all that he can hope for. They get a 1 year extension with only the signing bonus guaranteed til a certain date. Then Penn can hope he looks great this year and we decide to keep him. After this stunt tho I'd draft a T in the 1st rd next year no matter what we do with Pen this year.

I cant be mad at his agents use of leverage right after we cut Howard.

Could not agree more.  I see it exactly the same.  Great post.

Would hate to see them give him a new contract. He's played well for us but he is old and when the decline starts it is going to happen rapidly IMO. I hope they can just throw him some extra bonus money but if for some reason if they have to go about giving him a new contract I'd give him no more than one additional year. And yes, drafting a tackle in the first next year would be perfect. Was hoping for one this year but the value just wasn't there.

Archived