The Patriot Way - Draft Analysis and Impact on the Lions

Karnage84

On 1/18/2018 at 10:32 AM, Karnage84 said:

I was also looking at trade down/up frequency. The Patriots are known to generally trade down and acquire additional picks. One of the reason they're able to double dip at positions is because they have multiple picks in different rounds. We did make other moves to acquire additional picks later in the draft. I'd prefer to see us trade down and acquire additional picks this year. Buffalo is right behind us with a need at QB. A team like the Saints or Steelers could look to trade up and get their "Quarterback of the future". The Browns also have a LOT of pieces to move up into the first if someone fell that they were interested in.

I haven't finished with that analysis and might post it up if either my own self-interest drives me to figure it out and/or if there's interest to get a better picture at what the Patriots do. Tendencies don't automatically equate to success. The Patriots obviously make errors in drafting players just like everyone else. However, when you give yourself 10+ opportunities every year you're going to have a better opportunity to hit. That percentage will increase based on the quality of evaluation.

The bolded part has been the path used by a lot of successful GM's and HC's who had drafting responsibilities like BB and Jimmy Johnson. Since the draft is a crapshoot, more picks in each round is a true and tried path for success.

However, having said that, finding trading partners is not so easily accomplished. It is one thing to trade the #31 or #32 pick to a team desiring another 1st rounder, it is much harder to find a team interested in the #20 pick and willing to give up assets to move up that far out of round 2.

Since QB's only succeed at around 6% in round 1 after the top 12 picks, I doubt too many teams will trade up to #20 to draft a QB???

On 1/30/2018 at 8:41 PM, Rockcity2 said:

Look at the patriots drafts.. They suck.

Your right when you have a great coach and you get good cast offs you still win..it sure isn't bc of their drafts

You got an example of what your even talking about??? Sounds like a bs reason to draft bad..every team wants a football player that wants to play fb..its an area they are not good in 

I don’t feel like lookIng but I wouldn’t be surprised if the majority of their starting SB roster are their draft picks. 

5 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

The bolded part has been the path used by a lot of successful GM's and HC's who had drafting responsibilities like BB and Jimmy Johnson. Since the draft is a crapshoot, more picks in each round is a true and tried path for success.

However, having said that, finding trading partners is not so easily accomplished. It is one thing to trade the #31 or #32 pick to a team desiring another 1st rounder, it is much harder to find a team interested in the #20 pick and willing to give up assets to move up that far out of round 2.

Since QB's only succeed at around 6% in round 1 after the top 12 picks, I doubt too many teams will trade up to #20 to draft a QB???

It is possible to find a team that is deeper in the first round of the draft and looking to move up to get their guy.

Buffalo is immediately behind us with needs at QB. New Orleans needs to find a successor for Brees. Pittsburgh should be looking at finding Ben's replacement this year or next. Alex Smith is now off the table as a FA option. Leaving Cousins, Tyrod, Bradford, Keenum, Bridgewater (1 or 2 will for sure be staying in Minnesota) as starting options next season. I don't see why a team like the Saints would not be willing to trade up to 20 and take their guy (if they think he's there) at 20, just ahead of Buffalo.

1 hour ago, khaosoy said:

I don’t feel like lookIng but I wouldn’t be surprised if the majority of their starting SB roster are their draft picks. 

Just off the top of my head, they seemed to have been fairly active the last year or two in FA/trades. It would be interesting to see how many of the guys are on the roster who were drafted (or even rookie UDFA's for their draft year).

Archived