Landy traded to the Browns for two picks

Rgossett07

The article in the Miami Herald will not do Landry any good if he really wants to stay in Miami.  I think they agreed to this interview to set his market with other teams.

I don't see Gase putting up with Landry airing his contract situation in the press.  I am sure there are some teams that are willing to front load a $58mm contract (Niners, Browns etc).

I wanted him back but this was not the way you handle the situation.  This is immature.  His agent sounds idiotic.  Calling out ownership and really not understanding how the NFL salary cap works.  Just because the Dolphins are a billion dollar team, doesn't mean ownership can all of the sudden "afford" to pay you more.  I'd pay him 4 year- $52mm.

I could see Miami letting him walk.  Try and get a 3rd or 4th for Parker.  Sign Sammy Watkins or Allen Robinson on a 1-2 year prove it deal (2 years $18 - 20mm) and see what Caroo has in the slot. 

I wouldn't go that far. Landry kept his mouth shut and his head down all season. He attended all voluntary OTAs, minicamp, never alluded to a holdout, gave full effort and by many accounts played 'hurt'.

However, Landry is a sparkplug. He's an emotional guy. If the Dolphins FO leaks some details to their favorite beat-reporter / media puppet, he'll do his best middle school girl impression and subtweet the heck out of them:

28 minutes ago, Rgossett07 said:

I am sure there are some teams that are willing to front load a $58mm contract (Niners, Browns etc).

There will be, as there should be. Landry is the best slot WR in the league, I really don't think there's a strong argument for anybody else. He has his flaws, however, and that is precisely why Miami must stick to their evaluation. I say $12.5m annually is fair. Landry's agent sees him more as a top 3-5 paid guy, in the neighborhood of $14-$15m annually. For that price and with a tight cap situation? You let him walk.

9 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

I wouldn't go that far. Landry kept his mouth shut and his head down all season. He attended all voluntary OTAs, minicamp, never alluded to a holdout, gave full effort and by many accounts played 'hurt'.

However, Landry is a sparkplug. He's an emotional guy. If the Dolphins FO leaks some details to their favorite beat-reporter / media puppet, he'll do his best middle school girl impression and subtweet the heck out of them:

There will be, as there should be. Landry is the best slot WR in the league, I really don't think there's a strong argument for anybody else. He has his flaws, however, and that is precisely why Miami must stick to their evaluation. I say $12.5m annually is fair. Landry's agent sees him more as a top 3-5 paid guy, in the neighborhood of $14-$15m annually. For that price and with a tight cap situation? You let him walk.

I think Doug Baldwin has a very good argument, but there's no debating that Juice is a terrific slot WR.  

5 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

4 years $50mm is fair.  His agent isn't doing him any favors though.  If all he wants to do is get paid, then go get paid.  I think there will be a team that offers him a 4 year $65mm deal.  Dumb but it will happen.  Too many teams have too much money to spend and per league rules, they have to spend it. 

The rumor right now is that the Dolphins offered a contract that averaged 12 mil a season. Landry's agent countered with a 15 mill average contract. The Dolphins never responded. The beat reporter talked to some PLAYERS, and got a feel of how the Dolphins feel about Landry. Landry got hurt and responded in public. I think that Landry's agent played this wrong from the beginning. The Phins were never going to use the 16.5 mil franchise tag, so to use that amount as a negotiating position only works if a team is desperate to resign a player. I don't think that Landry is even the best slot WR in the NFL. Edelman is more explosive, has just as good hands, and is faster. Now Landry is afraid that other teams may feel the same as the Phins, and he is trying to defend the price tag he wants. In Gase's offense, the RB is used more than the slot WR. If we get a good TE, Landry could be replaced entirely. I wish him well, and I really feel that a team like the Cowboys, Panthers, 49ers, Bengals could use Landry. I doubt he gets more than what the Dolphins offered, but at this point he will have to leave to save his ego, even if it was for less money.

Landry is asking for way too much money. He's worth maybe $9 million to $10 million per year. He's a slot WR. He's not going to get paid like a #1 WR. I feel for y'all if you pay him like a #1. Then again, you can't be dumber than us paying Tavon Austin like he was a high-end #2 WR.

Can't blame him for asking for big money with the deals Alshon and Davante got. WR market, temporarily, is going to be very high. One lucky team, and unlucky WR from that '14 class, will get one of them for much cheaper than the rest after the demand is already met. Only so many teams willing to pay out big for a very good, not great, WR.

Archived