Landy traded to the Browns for two picks

Rgossett07

1 hour ago, G08 said:

So it sounds like none of ya'll want to lose Landry, am I understanding that correctly? Even with the unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and being an emotional roller coaster?

Well no but the cost matters if only because they're strapped and there are other needs.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

So it sounds like none of ya'll want to lose Landry, am I understanding that correctly? Even with the unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and being an emotional roller coaster?

He's also really, really dependable and plays a complete game.  But as others have said, the money just isn't there for him and there are bigger areas of concern.

Just now, hrubes20 said:

He's also really, really dependable and plays a complete game.  But as others have said, the money just isn't there for him and there are bigger areas of concern.

I think Chicago might be interested in him...we've got a huge need at WR and he can easily soak up 100+ targets from the slot in our new offense.

52 minutes ago, G08 said:

I think Chicago might be interested in him...we've got a huge need at WR and he can easily soak up 100+ targets from the slot in our new offense.

I've been predicting 5 years, $70m to Chicago for a while, I even posted it in my mock offseason on this subforum.

There is a way for Miami to play this but it would be very costly in years 3, 4, and 5.

Give him a 5 year 70 mil deal.  Give him more "Guaranteed Money" but pay him $10mm in years 1 and 2 and back load years 3,4 and 5 when Suh's (and maybe Tannehill) contract comes off the books.  The downside to this is it makes releasing Landry impossible due to the dead money late in the contract but I don't see Miami releasing Landry in his age 27, 28 and 29 years.  Years 3, 4 and 5 he is getting an average salary of close to $17m.

The Dolphins decided they don’t love Landry enough to keep him longterm but can’t bear the thought of letting him go without compensation. So they split the baby.

They rented Landry with this tag.

My problem is when you’re renting with that franchise tag, you’re paying as if you’re moving into the White House without actually getting the awesome accommodations. And the move has repercussions.

This move schedules Landry as the third-highest cap hit on the team for 2018. He will cost approximately nine percent of the Dolphins’ total salary cap.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article201250529.html

Can't agree more. Don't get it. Hope I'm proven wrong and it works out well.

43 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article201250529.html

Can't agree more. Don't get it. Hope I'm proven wrong and it works out well.

I realize the tag can be rescinded if they can't trade him, but they can't honestly think someone is giving up more than a late 3rd rounder for him, can they?  Fins would easily get a 3rd round compensation pick for Landry when he inevitably signs elsewhere.  

3 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

I realize the tag can be rescinded if they can't trade him, but they can't honestly think someone is giving up more than a late 3rd rounder for him, can they?  Fins would easily get a 3rd round compensation pick for Landry when he inevitably signs elsewhere.  

Yeah he probably would have netted a decent comp pick regardless.

The only thing I can think of, is they know for sure a few teams have heavy interest (the FA WR market is meh) and they can get a 2nd. OR they want to control where he ends up, i.e. not in NE or in the AFC or whatever.

I would have more faith if recent free agency moves weren't so.. bad.

The rumor mill is spinning like crazy right now. The most logical rumor so far. The Ravens did try to trade for Landry last season, rumor is they offered two picks, most likely a 2nd and a pick based on performance. The Dolphins felt that Tanny was coming back, so they didn't take the trade. Fast forward to this year, and multiple Ravens players have reached out to Landry, trying to get him to sign there. The Dolphins now want the picks offered last year, and are trying to get the Ravens to make the same offer. If they can't trade him, they will eat the cap hit by purging some veterans.

Archived