OC Johnny Morton is OUT; Jeremy Bates hired per Schefter

Bianconero

Not a smart move. The reports are that he rubbed people the wrong way and his play calling at the end was weak. I thought he was doing a great job. Personally I have mix feelings on Haley. I think we should keep an eye on Bruce Arieas. There are reports that he would hang around the jets camp this year. 

Really don't like flipping through OC's like we've been doing. I liked Morton. He did great for his first year as a play caller with the lack of talent he had to work with.

Haley must be the guy. We're letting Morton go when Haley's announcement came out.

5 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Haley must be the guy. We're letting Morton go when Haley's announcement came out.

I wouldn't put much stock into that. The rumblings that Morton won't be here next year have been around for a while. We were prepared to let him out of his contract if Gruden offered him a spot.

The fact that Bruce Arians will be around the team this offseason is interesting to me. My only concern is I am not sure if he would become an OC again.

1 minute ago, Jetfan66 said:

I wouldn't put much stock into that. The rumblings that Morton won't be here next year have been around for a while. We were prepared to let him out of his contract if Gruden offered him a spot.

The fact that Bruce Arians will be around the team this offseason is interesting to me. My only concern is I am not sure if he would become an OC again.

Just odd to let it ride for weeks and now say something. 

If I had to pick, I like the idea of adding Arians or promoting bates. We won't have to deal with everyone trying to build chemistry & learn the playbook all over again. This system got career numbers from McCown, I'd love to see what it could do with Cousins, Bradford, or a top rookie QB.

I still don't think this makes much sense. Don't really care if he wasn't best friends with the players/coaches, he was our best OC since Charlie Weis. 

Anyway, Haley is a strong candidate; I think he's an excellent coordinator. I don't know about DeFillipo, but he was our top candidate last year (PHI blocked us from interviewing him) and he's apparently an excellent developer of QBs. If Bates truly doesn't want the job and we can't land one of those two, we should be very very concerned. 

Archived