Gene Steratore to ref Super Bowl LII

Shady Slim

Just now, raiderrocker18 said:

people moan at every ref imo... so lets try this.

what refs WOULD you want calling the superbowl?

Yeah I reside in the "all referees are worthless" category, but I hate people that think the refs show favoritism. Incompetence does not mean there's a vendetta for or against certain teams.

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah I reside in the "all referees are worthless" category

You should go Ref a couple of games some time. You already know the game from the playing/coaching side - give Reffing a shot.

It'll be illuminating

Steratore is one of the better ones, he earned a SB spot

10 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

You should go Ref a couple of games some time. You already know the game from the playing/coaching side - give Reffing a shot.

It'll be illuminating

I realize my hate is misguided, but it doesn't change my opinion. I have a sickening hatred for them. As a HS football coach that deals with amateur refs, nothing sickens me more than when they are blatantly wrong and don't have the humility to just say, "I screwed up." I hate them, but I don't envy their jobs whatsoever. I got offered a job by a friend to referee a few games and laughed in her face. Screw that noise.

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

It'll be illuminating

NFL refs generally do a much better job than people give them credit for, but in the NFL, where there should be plenty of money to go around, there absolutely has to be an incredibly high standard, and bad calls shouldn't be excused simply because the job is hard.  We need to keep doing whatever it takes to cut the number of bad calls down.

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah I reside in the "all referees are worthless" category, but I hate people that think the refs show favoritism. Incompetence does not mean there's a vendetta for or against certain teams.

They do though, even if unintentional. Antonio Brown gets away with stuff that a mediocre WR doesn't. Same with a big name CB, they get away with more than an average CB does. False starts, offsides, those kind of fouls are called evenly but better players and better teams clearly get the benefit of the doubt more than mediocre/bad teams and players.

13 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

ing sickens me more than when they are blatantly wrong and don't have the humility to just say, "I screwed up."

Yeah, they can't do that though. I reffed high shool basketball for a year in college, you just have to swallow your bad calls. Saying to a coach "My bad on that call" has a wayyy worse outcome than erasing it from your memory and moving on. You can't take back a whistle (obv in the NFL you can pick up a flag and throw it late but the point stands).

5 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Yeah, they can't do that though. I reffed high shool basketball for a year in college, you just have to swallow your bad calls. Saying to a coach "My bad on that call" has a wayyy worse outcome than erasing it from your memory and moving on. You can't take back a whistle (obv in the NFL you can pick up a flag and throw it late but the point stands).

I wouldn't ever ask them to take back a whistle. I understand you can't do that without the opposing coach murdering you with a tack hammer after the game in the parking lot.

My gripe is when we onside kick the ball, it clearly spins off the ground, pops up in the air, and the opposing player calls for a fair catch--we nail the dude, get the ball, and are in position to go down the field for the game-winning TD in week 2 of the playoffs. THEN the referee claims that it's a player safety rule that allows a player on the kick return team to call for a fair catch at any point during the return. Our sideline flips out, asks them to show us the rule in the rulebook that our HC brings with him for these moments, and the guy refused to do it. He knew it wasn't a rule, but decided to make something completely bass ackwards up in order to save some face. This has happened at least 10x in my ten years of coaching where guys make up a rule.

I've seen referees let the players spot the ball.

I've seen referees tell me that an illegal forward pass 5 yard penalty gets marked off from the spot of the catch.

I've seen referees forget to add yardage to penalties (in our favor).

I've seen referees let teams break the huddle with 12 (multiple times this year it happened to us).

I've seen referees throw flags for blocking the punter (who was past the LOS sprinting down the field to make a tackle.

This year vs. our rival team, our punter got leveled in his plant leg and up top by two different players simultaneously right after releasing a kick. To my utter amazement, no flag was thrown. I lost my mind and screamed to the referee that was literally staring right at it, "They freaking killed him! How is that not a flag?"  His response? "Oh, they didn't kill him!" So my response was to turn to my sideline and yell plenty loud enough for him to hear, "Ohhhh ok guys. Our punter's still alive so no flag. Never knew about that rule. So I guess we can hit the punter late...just don't kill him." Looked back at the ref and said "I'll keep that in mind when they punt next time."    I got a hardass stare down from this fat slob for that comment.

And every freaking time we call them out on their terrible calls, we don't hear, "you're right...we missed that one, but we can't go back and change it." We get into these pizzing matches on the sidelines where they pretend like they're always right. I have no respect for officials that do that. I swear on my life if a referee turned to me and said, "My bad, coach. We missed that one.", I'd gladly accept their explanation and say, "hey, I don't envy your job. It's all good." It's the arrogance of the refs that they got it right when they clearly got it wrong that makes me sick. It makes me want to Brock Lesnar these useless cucks into oblivion.

Archived