Free Agent Possibilities

VigilantZombie

12 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Teddy isnt going to sign anywhere he doesnt have a chance to compete for starter immediately.   Literally zero chance that happens.   I see him signing with the Bills or Cardinals.   He will be brought to a team to likely compete with a drafted rookie.

Im not big on the idea of drafting a QB in round 1 either, but depending who it is, I could live with it.   If Lamar Jackson fell...Id be okay.   If we draft Josh Allen, I'll freak out.  

Funny you say that I had LaMar Jackson in there but then screw that delete - I don't want a QB at all in round one. The reason I would take Jackson is because he is a two year project that has a very unique skillset that should sit and learn for a few years. Which would be great behind Ben until he hangs them up. But I don't think he will get past the Bengals at #12. So I considered it moot. No way Marvin Lewis doesn't take him. He needs time or he will have a Vince Young type career. Splash plays with his legs in the beginning, but never learned the nuances or proper throwing mechanics, so he fizzled out pretty quickly.

As for Teddy Bridge, I would agree that it's slim he'd sign here. But if I played Devil's Advocate, the reason he might is because of our weapons, O Line, and Coach Tomlin. Not too mention a winning culture. I get this feeling that Tomlin and Bridgewater would gel - like that adversity effect and mutual understanding. I don't know - it's just a feeling. Bridgewater is coming off the injury, so I'm sure he wants to play, but if he was willing to maybe sit a year learn the offense and get better at his craft it might be the best place for him after all. Plus, he could still have a 15 year career in Pittsburgh. You never know. If you go to Buffalo and fail, you might never get another shot again.

Likelihood of happening: 5%

1 minute ago, 3rivers said:

@Money for someone with 20 posts , you are proving to have studied capology and your work is appreciated.

I wouldn't offer 5 years but there is the factor of him demanding that and possibly other teams offering 5 years. In the future I doubt RB's get  5 year deals if many more break down as they usually do.  Your 5/85 has to be the max the steelers should even consider.  We had Bell this year and never won a playoff game :S, a reason I would rather spend on D with proven players.

First off - it's sick that I even know a little capology and I'm embarrassed that I spent the time learning the little that I do know. 

I'd give him five years all day. He's the perfect age (26 in Feb) to either run the contract down the whole five years or play ball with him in year three of the deal and add on a two year extension to help the numbers out a little bit.

Yep. 5 years, $85m is the max I'd go on a RB, even if it's the best RB in the league. Otherwise, I'll tag you and either take the two 1st rd picks on a trade or call your bluff on retirement. But just take the 5 years, $85m bc I'd be lonely without you. 

19 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

ILB Navarro Bowman

he wouldn't cost much according to what I have read, yet he has the resume . Has he had injuries that have taken away speed or other positive aspects to his ability? 

Depends if we sign Bell of course, but if he signs elsewhere, we could get 3 quality starting D - Vets for the price of Bell.  We had Bell this year, and couldn't win a playoff game, just a thought.

In order of preference:

1. CB Grimes, or Davis or Revis (if he cares anymore not sure about this)

2. Edge - Ansah and switch to 4-3 

3. ILB - Bowman 

That should really help the D, and of course then there is the draft, but 3 quality starters should help the D especially since there is anew starter at every level of the D.

1 minute ago, Chieferific said:

Not one person here suggested we switch to a 4-3 after we led the league in sacks and were a top 5 Defense overall. Jacksonville lights us up and now the switch has to be made. Same thing last year. Rinse. Wash. Repeat. 

The funnier part is its never going to happen.  Not even mentioning the scouting issue, the team is proud to be a 34 front and right or wrong I don't think they would allow a change

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

In order of preference:

1. CB Grimes, or Davis or Revis (if he cares anymore not sure about this)

I'm giving you a 5 day personal ban for suggesting this. I will not read anything you have to say for the next 5 days. 

Kidding obviously, but seriously...never do this again. 

On 1/17/2018 at 10:54 PM, Money said:

Free Agents

As for free agents, first off I don't think I exercise Bud Dupree's fifth year option. He will play out this season. I do like Ziggy Ansah as a pass rush guy and I also like Jeremiah Attaochu. I like Aaron Lynch and even Dion Jordan for a minimum type deal. These aren't the problems. The problem is still coaching. And it will always be coaching until change happens.

EDGE - Ziggy Ansah, Jeremiah Attaochu, Aaron Lynch, Dion Jordan

CB - Justin Coleman - Solid depth signing. Liked him coming out of Tennessee and played well this year.

Safety - Kenny Vaccaro, Eric Reid, LaMarcus Joyner  PLEASE God no! Don't want his kneeling *** here!

ILB - Zach Brown, Sean Weatherspoon  With Moates already gone, Matakavich hurt along with Shazier, we may need both! 

DT - Dontari Poe, Sheldon Richardson. Dominique Easley  Poe takes up a lot of space...

11 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I'm giving you a 5 day personal ban for suggesting this. I will not read anything you have to say for the next 5 days. 

Kidding obviously, but seriously...never do this again. 

yeah, he was really disappointing in that titans loss wasn't he, and to hear that he wants to keep playing.  Does a team want a player that has potential (supposedly) but has off field issues such as substance or a player that was the best at what he did and expects to still be good but doesn't really care that much anymore.  These decisions are to be made by some teams, but the better alternative is to move away from both.

15 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Not one person here suggested we switch to a 4-3 after we led the league in sacks and were a top 5 Defense overall. Jacksonville lights us up and now the switch has to be made. Same thing last year. Rinse. Wash. Repeat. 

I've been away from posting but I truly and seriously wanted a change to the 43.  Without the exotic blitzing, our OLBs truly suck at rushing the QB.  Those same OLBs also suck at setting the edge and forcing the run back to the onside or to the sideline so help can get there.  Those same OLBs drop into coverage a lot but barely affected the oppositions's passing attack.  Dupree dropped a lot but how many passes did he tip?  Interceptions?  Anyone remember a game here he punished a receiver entering his zone?  I don't.  So we are left with OLBs who can't rush the passer, can't set the edge nor are they any good in pass coverage.  That makes them useless in my opinion.  Put in some true pass rushing DEs and get rid of the trash that isn't being productive onfield.

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

I've been away from posting but I truly and seriously wanted a change to the 43.  Without the exotic blitzing, our OLBs truly suck at rushing the QB.  Those same OLBs also suck at setting the edge and forcing the run back to the onside or to the sideline so help can get there.  Those same OLBs drop into coverage a lot but barely affected the oppositions's passing attack.  Dupree dropped a lot but how many passes did he tip?  Interceptions?  Anyone remember a game here he punished a receiver entering his zone?  I don't.  So we are left with OLBs who can't rush the passer, can't set the edge nor are they any good in pass coverage.  That makes them useless in my opinion.  Put in some true pass rushing DEs and get rid of the trash that isn't being productive onfield.

But if you say switch to a 4-3 and "Put in some true pass rushing DEs", it's no different then saying "put in some pass rushing OLBs" in the 3-4. I don't see that as a reason to switch. If the talent warrants , I don't mind scheme (tho I prefer the 3-4). I just think "talent" wise we're closer to a 3-4. 

47 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

But if you say switch to a 4-3 and "Put in some true pass rushing DEs", it's no different then saying "put in some pass rushing OLBs" in the 3-4. I don't see that as a reason to switch. If the talent warrants , I don't mind scheme (tho I prefer the 3-4). I just think "talent" wise we're closer to a 3-4. 

Actually it is.  In a 43, your taking out that extra ILB who normally can't cover within the 34 scheme.  I want a 43 Tampa 2 style defense.  It's a simplistic defense that allows defenders to fly to the ball.  In our current 34, we run way too much 2-4-5.  That takes away 1 of our better defenders and leaves an untalented ILB on the field.

6 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Actually it is.  In a 43, your taking out that extra ILB who normally can't cover within the 34 scheme.  I want a 43 Tampa 2 style defense.  It's a simplistic defense that allows defenders to fly to the ball.  In our current 34, we run way too much 2-4-5.  That takes away 1 of our better defenders and leaves an untalented ILB on the field.

But the extra ILB in a 3-4 who can't cover is replaced by a DL in a 4-3. Now if your saying you prefer the 4-3 to the 2-4-5 I'd agree.

4 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

But the extra ILB in a 4-3 who can't cover is replaced by a DL in a 4-3. Now if your saying you prefer the 4-3 to the 2-4-5 I'd agree.

I'm basing this off the current Steelers' roster.  Hargrave is a better fit along with Alualu than say Dupree and Spence.  I want the best players on the field at all times.  Tomlin and Butler try to be too cute at times. I want to see McCullers on a different team next season to see if he can play.  As sad as our run defense is, you're telling me he couldn't be a factor (coaches not you guys).

14 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

I'm basing this off the current Steelers' roster.  Hargrave is a better fit along with Alualu than say Dupree and Spence.  I want the best players on the field at all times.  Tomlin and Butler try to be too cute at times. I want to see McCullers on a different team next season to see if he can play.  As sad as our run defense is, you're telling me he couldn't be a factor (coaches not you guys).

I honestly don’t think McCullers would make much of a difference. Too tall and not flexible enough to get low and keep leverage. 

Archived