Free Agent Possibilities

VigilantZombie

My philosophy is to draft for the future and fine tune through free agency.  There are four positions that I would target in draft and/or free agency:

1. ILB - - Navarro Bowman, Zach Brown, Demario Davis, Sean Witherspoon Kevin Minter  or Zach Brown.  - - Insurance for Shazier and the draft. Production, leadership and the ability to stop the run. We need the old Thunder and Lightning from our ILB's. Hopefully we can find lightning in the draft.

2. FS - - Tre Boston, Eric Reid, LaMarcus Joyner (All looking to get paid, but would pair nicely with Davis)  That would be a very athletic and talented back end for years to come.

3. DT/NG - - Dontari Poe, Sheldon Richardson Both a bit on the pricey side. Poe would be great, Richardson has some baggage, but he can flat out play and would be an awesome mate next to Hargraves. He offers more versatility than Poe and probably a better price tag.

4. OLB - - I would probably try to pick up a post June or July veteran cut here.

There may be some late cuts a la Joe Haden in summer. However, we can't wait that long to address some of these needs. I would love to have another veteran CB like Haden.  You cannot have too many.  That is something that I admire about the Bengals, they have the best overall CB talent in the NFL with their five guys (Jones, Kirkpatrick, Jackson, Dennard, and Shaw).

1 hour ago, Steeler Hitman said:

3. DT/NG - - Dontari Poe, Sheldon Richardson Both a bit on the pricey side. Poe would be great, Richardson has some baggage, but he can flat out play and would be an awesome mate next to Hargraves. He offers more versatility than Poe and probably a better price tag.

Not sure about this considering the cap issues the team has vs needs.  I thought our needs for D in priority are:

1. edge

2. cb

3. ilb

4. Interior DL but that would only be if the cap would allow. 

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

Not sure about this considering the cap issues the team has vs needs.  I thought our needs for D in priority are:

1. edge

2. cb

3. ilb

4. Interior DL but that would only be if the cap would allow. 

CB is not as big of a need as ILB-S.

Could use another outside CB due to Burns struggles and Haden getting closer to 30 but they kept a size speed project on roster the whole year in Allen. With at least one of Gay or Sensabaugh gone, maybe both, I could see a vet FA as more likely.

7 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

CB is not as big of a need as ILB-S.

Could use another outside CB due to Burns struggles and Haden getting closer to 30 but they kept a size speed project on roster the whole year in Allen. With at least one of Gay or Sensabaugh gone, maybe both, I could see a vet FA as more likely.

what about Sutton pushing for starting if they don't sign a vet?   I would prefer the vet UFA since they are proven and could be a legit starter day 1 as they say. Burns has been a disappointment , another RD1 pick not worth RD1.

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

what about Sutton pushing for starting if they don't sign a vet?   I would prefer the vet UFA since they are proven and could be a legit starter day 1 as they say. Burns has been a disappointment , another RD1 pick not worth RD1.

Truthfully I had a brain fart on Sutton...yet another young guy in the mix.

Personally I don’t see the CB slot as a need... could be next year though. They need to find out about Burns-Sutton-Allen first.

I think people are too down on Burns and too up on Sutton. Burns regressed but just about everyone was excited about him last year. There's no sense in arguing about what Rd he was taken in. That's in the past and he's no longer a draft pick. He's a player. The talent is there he just needs to fine-tune it. Sutton is going to be just OK. Nothing to get that excited about. 

7 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I think people are too down on Burns and too up on Sutton. Burns regressed but just about everyone was excited about him last year. There's no sense in arguing about what Rd he was taken in. That's in the past and he's no longer a draft pick. He's a player. The talent is there he just needs to fine-tune it. Sutton is going to be just OK. Nothing to get that excited about. 

What I saw a few plays was a a good look of a CB who didn't trust his FS.  The grabbing for penalties, the taking of wrong coverages, things like that.

I still feel like we need another corner in depth. William Gay needs to be gone he's old and he's slow he had really no value to our defense anymore. But beyond that we have a good set of corners. However issue in the secondary I think is that our Corners are constantly also trying to play safety because our safeties are just not good

5 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I still feel like we need another corner in depth. William Gay needs to be gone he's old and he's slow he had really no value to our defense anymore. But beyond that we have a good set of corners. However issue in the secondary I think is that our Corners are constantly also trying to play safety because our safeties are just not good

I don't think we are adding a cb this offseason outside of camp guys. Haden, Burns, Hilton, Sutton, Allen are more than solid imo. 

Safety on the other hand is another story. I like the talent level of Davis even though he underperformed last year. After that it needs a serious infusion of talent and experience.

13 minutes ago, Alex said:

I like Demario Davis as an upgrade over Vince Williams.

As much I like Zach Brown, the Titans fans seem to think he's staying. 

He plays for the Skins. I don't think it changes much, though. I bet he stays. They do have 3 ILB's that are free agents. Maybe they'll be dumb and let Brown go.

On 1/22/2018 at 2:43 PM, Steeler Hitman said:

My philosophy is to draft for the future and fine tune through free agency.  There are four positions that I would target in draft and/or free agency:

1. ILB - - Navarro Bowman, Zach Brown, Demario Davis, Sean Witherspoon Kevin Minter  or Zach Brown.  - - Insurance for Shazier and the draft. Production, leadership and the ability to stop the run. We need the old Thunder and Lightning from our ILB's. Hopefully we can find lightning in the draft.

2. FS - - Tre Boston, Eric Reid, LaMarcus Joyner (All looking to get paid, but would pair nicely with Davis)  That would be a very athletic and talented back end for years to come.

4. OLB - - I would probably try to pick up a post June or July veteran cut here.

There may be some late cuts a la Joe Haden in summer. However, we can't wait that long to address some of these needs. I would love to have another veteran CB like Haden.  You cannot have too many.  That is something that I admire about the Bengals, they have the best overall CB talent in the NFL with their five guys (Jones, Kirkpatrick, Jackson, Dennard, and Shaw).

Bowman and Davis are the most likely.  Bowman will be cheaper and may want to come back to PA.  He also might want to stay in California.

I just do not see the Steelers wanting to have Eric Reid kneel by Villi every week.  Too much drama.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Bowman and Davis are the most likely.  Bowman will be cheaper and may want to come back to PA.  He also might want to stay in California.

I just do not see the Steelers wanting to have Eric Reid kneel by Villi every week.  Too much drama.

I think that they try to get tougher up the middle and perhaps add another pass rusher.  I was not considering any politics/kneeling/etc.  There is more than enough drama on the team as it is and I believe that from a perception standpoint, Coach T will have to address it and do some things differently going forward. I want players who can help us win and can provide leadership and accountability among their peers. I am sure that conversations and expectations would be explained.  Drama withstanding, Reid can play and would help our secondary.  I would consider bringing him in, talking and explaining expectations/lack of distractions. It certainly doesn't cost anything to find out.  We need help in the back end.

Joyner is very small. IF they decided to bring him in that would signal a significant philosophical change on Defense. For as long as I can remember the Steelers have used a SS type at FS. It's more of a disadvantage IMO but that seems to be their M.O. I wouldn't mind the change in strategy I just don't think Tomlin & Co have any interest in changing "skillsets" at that position.

Archived