Defensive needs w/FA and draft

This year has proven once again that a rock solid defense will keep you in the game and more important all the playoff teams have a solid defense.  For whatever reason, the Browns gave up on Haden, Davis, and a couple of other defensive veterans.

The question is what priority by position to build a defense that will grow together for years with a few veterans from FA.  This is the time to buck up and pay the players we need to build leadership.

For FA, my input is we need to be strong up the middle and that means DT (Poe or Star)and S (Boston or Joyner) are mandatory as I would like to see Browns spend 10M per for each of these veteran positions.  Ansah DE would also be solid signing.  Also, Trumaine or another CB that is team first oriented.  Bottom line is we need to spend @10M  for each of these pros or 40M for DT,S, DE, CB.

For draft, I believe we need to draft in priority CB,  speed LB, DE/DT, and S.

What do you think should be our priorities in FA and then the draft?

Davis had a good year for the Jets, but was merely okay during his year here. I'd rather have Schobert. Haden was one of my favorite players, and while I probably would have kept him for this year, it's not like he's anywhere near the player he once was.

I don't think DT is a big need, although if we had the chance to add a top player there, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it. But Shelton is a very good starter, and I have high hopes for Ogunjobi going forward. Coley also looked very solid.

We definitely need a FS and at least one CB. McCourty isn't a long-term answer, Taylor is average at best. BBC is our only legit CB who could be here for the long-term. Howard Wilson is obviously a total unknown at this point.

I also wouldn't mind adding another DE. Even with Garrett in the lineup, our pass rush as a whole was pretty lackluster. Ogbah is a good player, but hasn't been a great pass rusher. Nassib is a solid rotational end, but we need someone who can get after the QB on a consistent basis. I'm not sure what LA's cap situation is like, but T. Johnson would be a great acquisition. Fills a big need and there's obviously familiarity between he and Williams.

16 minutes ago, #32 said:

This year has proven once again that a rock solid defense will keep you in the game and more important all the playoff teams have a solid defense.  For whatever reason, the Browns gave up on Haden, Davis, and a couple of other defensive veterans.

The question is what priority by position to build a defense that will grow together for years with a few veterans from FA.  This is the time to buck up and pay the players we need to build leadership.

For FA, my input is we need to be strong up the middle and that means DT (Poe or Star)and S (Boston or Joyner) are mandatory as I would like to see Browns spend 10M per for each of these veteran positions.  Ansah DE would also be solid signing.  Also, Trumaine or another CB that is team first oriented.  Bottom line is we need to spend @10M  for each of these pros or 40M for DT,S, DE, CB.

For draft, I believe we need to draft in priority CB,  speed LB, DE/DT, and S.

What do you think should be our priorities in FA and then the draft?

Since there are some solid CBs available in the draft, that's where I look to fill that group.

Same with DE/DT, although Ansah would be a nice add.

Beyond that, I do not know where to grab an FS.

I was an early proponent of Minkah but right now he is starting to look to me as Peppers 2.0, a man without a position.

I do not think that we need another one of those.

The only way I am looking at adding a DT to this defense is if they are the next Haloti Ngata or Ndamukong Suh. We have a really good situation there right now with 4 guys to rotate 3 of which were rookies. That does not even include Jamie Meder who could be brought back on the cheap who is a great run stuffer.

28 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Since there are some solid CBs available in the draft, that's where I look to fill that group.

Same with DE/DT, although Ansah would be a nice add.

Beyond that, I do not know where to grab an FS.

I was an early proponent of Minkah but right now he is starting to look to me as Peppers 2.0, a man without a position.

I do not think that we need another one of those.

Tre Boston.  I wanted him in the 4th round a few years back. Also played well when he was in Carolina. He has never really been given the respect he has earned on the football field.

I dont understand why you think we need to spend more high draft picks and big free agent money on DT of all positions? Shelton and Ogunjobi have been very solid and the Browns has the lowest yards per rush allowed in the NFL for about 15 weeks. 

The entirefront 7 is actually very good and only lack a talented edge pass rusher opposite of Garrett that can rotate with Ogbah or come in on passing downs off the edge. If the Browns add one FS, one CB and one speed rusher they are perfectly set. They need to come out with 3 starters this off-season at those three positions.

I feel much more confident finding a CB in this years draft class compared to finding a true FS. So how would you guys feel about going after RFA Ricardo Allen from the Falcons sure we would have to give up a pick but there’s no doubting this dudes play. Then take a CB within your first 5 picks and we should be good for this year. 

Not sure why people think Fitz can't play FS just because Bama used him in other ways - I'm betting the kid can play anywhere in the secondary.  He's also, from what reports say, about as rock solid a person as you're going to find.  No issues at ALL if we went with him with #4.  

CB we need help with, no doubt - I don't care where it comes from.  Compliment to Garrett from the other side would also be nice.  Personally I think we have something to work with at DT - Shelton is one-dimensional but plays the run well and O-Jobi could be a year-two riser to watch.  

To me the bigger question is - does Haslam really have to money to spend?  I know our cap space is huge but I hope that isn't by necessity.  Guess we'll find out in due course.  Frankly I think some older situational players who can still produce would be good adds - Hali from KC maybe?  Would love to see him as a situational pass rusher because I think he can still make plays.  Eagles and Chiefs have the worst cap stories - might not be a bad idea to make inquiries there.  Half our roster is 1st or 2nd year players, adding some productive vets wouldn't kill us.  

Lastly - not sure why McCourty isn't moved to free safety.  He's played it situationally before and his coverage skills would be fine for that position.  Started of great at CB but by years end - not so much.  At FS he should still be able to contribute.  

Many of the people responded believe our D-line is solid as do I.   Thanks for the input!  However, Garrett and Shelton missed 6 games each.  I still believe DT is important need in FA.  Yes, our d-backfield needs a lot of help and this draft has a dozen capable candidates.

There is an interesting article by Sports Illustrated, how conference champions were built.  Jax added 3 veterans and the team did a complete turnaround.  All the conference champions were involved with Free Agency and the numbers vary but the number is close to 33% of roster in most instances.  

My priority on D remains DT,S, DE, and S for free agency as there are 3-4 veterans available for each position.

I do not know what Dorsey's budget is but I have to believe he will be active in FA.  With 111M cap space, Haslam has to spend at least half of that figure to maintain a fan base.

30 minutes ago, #32 said:

Many of the people responded believe our D-line is solid as do I.   Thanks for the input!  However, Garrett and Shelton missed 6 games each.  I still believe DT is important need in FA.  Yes, our d-backfield needs a lot of help and this draft has a dozen capable candidates.

There is an interesting article by Sports Illustrated, how conference champions were built.  Jax added 3 veterans and the team did a complete turnaround.  All the conference champions were involved with Free Agency and the numbers vary but the number is close to 33% of roster in most instances.  

My priority on D remains DT,S, DE, and S for free agency as there are 3-4 veterans available for each position.

I do not know what Dorsey's budget is but I have to believe he will be active in FA.  With 111M cap space, Haslam has to spend at least half of that figure to maintain a fan base.

So Shelton missed 6 games? That is life in the NFL and that is why we have Coley, Ogunjobi and Brantley who all played great as rookies. Like I said that does not even include Jamie Meder who is a very effective run stopper and role player. With Shelton that is 5 effective NFL quality DTs. Most teams only carry 4 DTs. Injuries happen in the NFL and teams have to sign guys off he street all the time. Where the good teams overcome signing street free agents is the depth already on the roster and we have that with the 4 I mentioned. Like I said the only way I am adding a DT is if it is the next Haloti Ngata or Ndamukong Suh.

11 hours ago, StewieRules said:

Not sure why people think Fitz can't play FS just because Bama used him in other ways - I'm betting the kid can play anywhere in the secondary.  He's also, from what reports say, about as rock solid a person as you're going to find.  No issues at ALL if we went with him with #4.  

Lastly - not sure why McCourty isn't moved to free safety.  He's played it situationally before and his coverage skills would be fine for that position.  Started of great at CB but by years end - not so much.  At FS he should still be able to contribute.  

Yeah the thing is Minkah is a projection because of that 

which is why there is an argument for him not being the pick at 4

and because Greg Williams is stubborn 

11 hours ago, brownie man said:

Yeah the thing is Minkah is a projection because of that 

which is why there is an argument for him not being the pick at 4

and because Greg Williams is stubborn 

Stubborn isn't the word for it, i'll give you that lol   But a "projection" tag is a bit much - moving a DE to FB, a SS to LB, or a QB to WR?  Thats a projection.  Fitz plays safety, plays at one point or another every assignment in Bama's secondary.  I just don't think he's a concern at 4 when you look at his overall body of work.  

I think out biggest need is CB.  Although Our corners played well, I believe the purpose of Peppers beginning every play in the dog pound was because Williams was afraid they would get beat deep.  My list of Defensive needs

1. CB

2. FS

3. Situational Pass-Rusher

Other than that I believe that the defense is in a pretty good position moving forward.

Archived