32 reasons for Saints fans to be excited for the future…

whodatworm23

#1.  Mickey Loomis, Vice President/General Manager

Structure and stability, those are key in any well run NFL franchise. Love him or hate him but Loomis has brought these two elements to a struggling franchise since the moment he arrived in New Orleans. As with most successful general managers in this league, Loomis is only as good as the staff he hires around him and after a few years of setbacks he finally appears to have the right people in place once again.

#2. Jeff Ireland, Assistant General Manager/College Scouting Director

Remember when Ireland was hired by Loomis and he became a punch line for outside fans to poke fun at the Saints? Well who’s laughing now! Ireland has been nothing short of a godsend to this franchise that was struggling to find any sort of consistency within the draft. Now after only 3 years on the job the Saints have one of the most talented young rosters in all of football thanks in large part to Ireland.

#3. Terry Fontenot, Director of Pro Scouting

Let’s not forget about this home grown talent. Since Loomis promoted Fontenot to DOPS the Saints have made some of the wiser investments in free agency in the clubs history. Although on the job for 4 years, Fontenot has only had a major voice in free agency decisions over the last two where free agents such as Nick Fairley, Craig Robertson, Nathan Stupar, Colby Fleener, Ted Ginn, Larry Warford, AJ Klein, Manti Te’o and Adrain Peterson were added to the roster. On top of this, Fontenot was working with very little to no cap space. This is a talented front office executive that has earned his due and recognition from fans for his contributions to the success of this club.

#4. Sean Payton, Head Coach

I honestly don’t believe that there is anyone within the organization that gets as much love while also takes as much heat as Sean Payton. Payton is a top NFL head coach, if you don’t believe that just look around the NFL these days and count the number of teams that wouldn’t kill to have him. Having said that, Payton’s not without his faults either. Payton is considered an offensive genius amongst NFL circles mostly for his play designs and implement of them. However he’s also a micro manager and a little egotistical, still Payton remains one of the top 5-7 coaches in the NFL and he’s constructed an offense full of young weapons that fit his system perfectly. Just like Drew Brees has his flaws, isn’t the best but one of the best quarterbacks in the league still… the same can be said for Payton who’s proven once before that he can take a talented team and deliver the city of New Orleans a championship, we should trust him (flaws and all) that he can do it again.

#5. Dennis Allen, Defensive Coordinator

After years of searching, Sean Payton finally has “his guy” in charge of the Saints defense and it’s hard to argue with the job Allen has done since he’s taken over as DC. The Saints have gone from two time worst defense in league history to a promising young and talented squad on the verge of a consistent top 10 ranking in the NFL. Allen has brought a confidence and swagger back to this Saints defense that hasn’t been seen since the days of Greg Williams and while his unit hasn’t reached its full potential yet, with a couple more pieces this defense could become something special.

#6. Drew Brees, Quarterback (Team Leader)

Drew Brees isn’t going anywhere just as he said just a few days ago. Brees and the Saints will agree to a contract extension before March that will allow the future HOF quarterback to finish out his career right here in New Orleans. Brees back with the Saints should give Saints fans comfort knowing that we will likely have about a 3 year window as contenders with him under center while also giving our front office a little more time in finding a successor. In the meantime, Brees’s play in 2017 proved that he’s not slowing down anytime soon and his performance in the playoffs shows that he can still put this team on his back when needed and get the job done.

#7. Cameron Jordan, Defensive End (Team Leader, Potential DPOY)

Jordan is one of the very best defensive players in the NFL entering his prime and he’s also one of the best leaders on the team. Jordan is arguably the Saints best player and above all else he’s hungry for a championship. Saints fans can rest easy knowing that we have a leader like Jordan in charge of our defense. I fully expect there to be no let down in 2018 but only improvement as Jordan and these young defenders finally got a taste of the post-season, now they will want it all and will have the experience to make it happen.

#8. Marshon Lattimore, Cornerback (Potential DROY)

Remember when we as Saints fans would pray to the football gods to finally allow us to land a defensive star? Well that wish was granted in 2017 as Lattimore in only his rookie season has proven to be a bon-a-fide shut down cover corner in the NFL. Not only is Lattimore a shutdown cover corner but he’s also a very physical run defender too boot. The sky is the limit for this kid and the Saints defense as it won’t be long before Lattimore is in the discussion as the best corner in the league… if he isn’t already.

#9. Alvin Kamara, Running Back (Potential OROY)

As impactful as Lattimore was on the defensive side of the ball, Kamara might have been just as impactful if not more on the offensive side. Kamara has quickly established himself as an NFL star and one of the most feared matchup nightmares in all of football. Kamara possesses a unique skill set and he’s in an offense playing for a coach and quarterback that know exactly how to maximize his talent.

#10. Terron Armstead, Left Tackle

I understand that some have soured on Armstead due to his inability to remain healthy recently but this is still one of the most talented and physically gifted players in the NFL at one of the most important positions in all of football. When Armstead is on the field and healthy this is a different Saints offense both in the run and pass game. As crazy as it sounds, Armstead is still only 26 years old and although he has had his battles with the injury bug, this is still one of the Saints top players with a very bright future ahead of him.

#11. Michael Thomas, Wide Receiver

Thomas burst on the scene last year as a rookie and showed the world that he was the real deal. This year Thomas validated himself as an NFL star! This is the true #1 receiver the Saints have been clamoring for and after posting the most receptions by a pass catcher in his first two years, Thomas felt the need to write to Saints fans after the heartbreaking loss to Minnesota promising that he will improve and do more moving forward to help us reach our goal.

#12. Sheldon Rankins, Defensive Tackle

Rankins caught a bad rap from some Saints fans this year due to his lack of sacks and almost immediately players like Cam Jordan and others came to his defense. It’s truly hard to understand Rankins value to this team but it is immense. Rankins has become sort of the quarterback of the defensive line and with the amount of injuries almost like a Swiss army knife for them as well. This is still a very explosive player and very talented but I do feel he felt the loss of Nick Fairley more than anyone as opposing teams made Rankins their sole focus on the interior from day one with Fairley out. Rankins had a very good year in 2017 even though statically it might not show it. I expect the Saints to look to add additional help on the interior this offseason if Fairley doesn’t return which will lead to better statistics for Rankins in 2018.

#13. Ryan Ramczyk, Right Tackle

Ramczyk will never get consideration for OROY but in all honesty he should. To do what Ramczyk did and start every game of his rookie season at both left and right tackle and play them both at a high level is absurd! Crazy enough to draw the praise of Saints HOF tackle Willie Roaf. Ramczyk also not only played and played well but got better and better as the season went along. In the Saints playoff loss to the Vikings, Ramczyk did not allow a single pressure… not one! The Saints hit big time on Ramczyk and now have IMO the two youngest and most talented set of bookend tackles in the NFL.  

#14. Mark Ingram, Running Back

You gotta give it to Ingram… he finally has his breakout season in 2016 and what do the Saints do in return, sign Adrain Peterson and draft Alvin Kamara. Through it all Ingram remained positive and in the end he delivered and even better season in 2017 while forging a bond/friendship with Kamara that the Saints rode all the way to the playoffs. Ingram isn’t the explosive versatile threat that his counterpart Kamara is but he’s still a vital part of this offense with his ability to be physical between the tackles and his superb pass pro skills as well as his above average receiving skills in the screen game. Ingram and Kamara will continue to feed off one another for the foreseeable future and the Saints offense will thrive because of it.

#15. Andrus Peat, Left Guard

It was a sad thing to see Peat’s season end the way it did but what Peat did in 2017 was very impressive. Peat has officially shed the potential bust label and has established himself as one of the top young guards in the NFL. Peat’s ability to pull and trap and get to the second level of a defense was very impressive this year as well as his versatility to kick out to left tackle when Armstead was injured. Peat also displayed much more physicality and toughness this year on the interior which was amazing to see. It’s easy to forget sometimes that Peat was just 20 years old when he was drafted but it’s clear now that the boy the Saints took 13th overall in the 2015 draft became a man in 2017.

#16. Marcus Williams, Free Safety

If you take away the very last play of Williams 2017 season, remove teammate Marshon Lattimore and Buffalo’s Tre White from the conversation… Marcus Williams would be viewed by many as the front runner for DROY. Wow how one play can change the opinions of a person. Williams is a fantastic safety that made a rookie mistake on the biggest play of the season and he’s owned that. Everyone must move on and understand that this is an extremely talented and bright kid that will be a major part of the Saints getting back to the dance. I expect this ordeal to make Williams a stronger and more mentally tough player moving forward and I truly believe that one day Williams will look back on his missed tackle in Minnesota as the driving force to his pro-bowl career.

#17. Alex Oakfor, Defensive End

I’m taking a risk by putting Oakfor on this list as he’s an unrestricted free agent this offseason and we all know that anything can happen but I feel very confident that the Saints will make Oakfor a priority in free agency and get him signed long-term. Oakfor has already stated on record that he wants to remain in New Orleans and it’s easy to see why as he was experiencing a resurgence in his first year with the Saints. Oakfor, like Jordan is a great young dual defensive end that can set the edge in the running game as well as get after the quarterback. It will be imperative to get Oakfor extended this offseason so that the Saints can concentrate on other needs via free agency and the draft.

#18. Max Unger, Center

Unger isn’t the player he once was but he’s still a very good center and quarterback of the offensive line. Brees and Unger have fully established chemistry and communication with offensive play calling at the line of scrimmage which is vital in this offense as well as Unger becoming one of the more vocal leaders of this team in the locker room.

#19. Ted Ginn, Wide Receiver

Raise your hand if you thought Ginn would be this good with the Saints… me neither. Ginn has been better than expected and despite his age he looks like he is still the fastest guy on the field. I expect Ginn to be around for at least the length of his contract (2 more years) giving Brees that deep threat that’s so coveted in Sean Payton’s offense as Ginn chases that elusive championship.

#20. Larry Warford, Right Guard

Warford was the Saints big ticket free agent this offseason and he’s been as good as advertised. Warford is a mauler in the running game and above average in pass pro, he dealt with a torn muscle in this stomach this year but displayed toughness by playing through pain for a stretch during the season when his team needed him most. It’s not easy taking over for a former pro-bowler (and IMO future HOFer) in Jahri Evans but Warford did an excellent job and is a big reason the Saints have one of if not the best young offensive lines in football.

#21. Thomas Morstead, Punter

I mean how tough an classy is Morstead? To play through a painful injury and then to line up on the defensive line on the extra point following the Vikings miracle touchdown. Morstead is class all the way and he’s also one of the NFL’s best power punters and a big reason for the Saints defensive success in 2017.

#22. A.J. Klein, Linebacker

Klein isn’t the faster, most athletic or explosive linebacker in the NFL but he was a very solid addition to our defensive unit. He’s smart, instinctive and a very good communicator at the second level of the defense. Klein brought stability to the linebacking core that can’t be overlooked and like many of the Saints roster, Klein is a young promising player who’s best football is ahead of him.

#23. Ken Crawley, Cornerback

Crawley came off the inactive list after the first 2 weeks of the season to earn a starting job and hasn’t looked back. A 2nd year undrafted free agent, Crawley has had to fight for everything he has and it shows at times in his play as he was the Saints most penalized player in 2017 yet still delivered a solid season as a starter. The Saints will likely look to upgrade Crawley’s position this offseason but whomever is brought in you can bet Crawley won’t give up his starting gig without a fight.

#24. Will Lutz, Place Kicker

Minnesota’s last second miracle touchdown masked a lot of great things the Saints did in those final minutes. One of those things was realizing that they have a stud at place kicker as Lutz with ice in his veins nailed a 43 yard FG to put the Saints ahead for the likely win. Lutz has improved vastly since he arrived in NOLA and although in a losing effort he proved in Minnesota that he has the temperament as well as the physical tools to be the clutch kicker the Saints will need moving forward.

#25. Delvin Breaux, Cornerback

It’s easy to forget just how good Breaux was playing the last time he was on the field. That’s how injuries go and the NFL is a what have you done for me lately league. Still, now fully healthy Breaux can be a valuable piece for this Saints secondary moving forward… how valuable will be up to Breaux to prove on the field.

#26. David Onyemata, Defensive Tackle

Onyemata appears to be developing very nicely at defensive tackle. His play has shown that he’s getting a knack for this NFL thing and he’s flashed tremendous physicality and athletic ability at times. Now all he needs is to put it together consistently and if he does the Saints may have a dynamite tandem between Onyemata and Rankins on the interior for years to come.

#27. Vonn Bell, Strong Safety

Bell filled in admirably when Kenny Vaccaro went down and might even have given the Saints staff a belief that they can actually move forward with him as the starter and allow Vaccaro to leave in free agency. Time will answer that question but until then the Saints should be feeling good about the future of the safety position.

#28. Alex Anzalone, Linebacker

Anzalone’s rookie season was cut short by another shoulder injury but in the 1st quarter of the season when healthy the rookie impressed with his athleticism and instincts by earning the starting weakside linebacker spot. It’s clear that the Saints think very highly of Anzalone and as long as his health remains intact he should be a big part of this defense’s future.

#29. Tyeler Davison, Nose Tackle

There was a point when I was hoping that Davison would develop into more than what he is but that hasn’t come to pass. However that by no way means that Davison isn’t a solid role player who serves as a stout run defender for the Saints. Davison appears to be more of a quality rotational player more so than a top end starter and that’s fine. His presence gives the Saints quality depth on the interior at both defensive tackle positions which is an important part of building a roster.

#30. Trey Hendrickson, Defensive End

There’s just something about this kid that tells me he’s going to eventually develop into one of those Rob Ninkovich type NFL players and carve out a very long successful career in the league. Hendrickson possesses the physical tools, motor and work ethic to one day develop into one of the best players on the Saints roster.

#31. Brandon Coleman, Wide Receiver

Coleman isn’t the type of receiver that will pile up the stat sheet and yes he occasionally has issues with ball security but his leadership and down field blocking was very impactful in this roster in 2017 and he seems to always be good for at least one big play per week. I also feel that with his size and continued development he will only get better as a redzone target for Drew Brees.

#32. P.J. Williams, Cornerback

I won’t lie… I was expecting more from PJ from the time we drafted him in the 3rd round in 2015 but I also realize that 2017 was his first fully healthy season he’s had under his belt. Williams has loads of talent and gives the Saints great depth at the position and I look for him to make a big leap forward in 2018 and become a much more versatile player for the Saints secondary.

#33. De’Vante Harris, Cornerback

Harris… nagh, just kidding!!!  LOL

WHODAT

Great write up, @whodatworm23!

I about spit my coffee out when I saw #33, LOL. Nice one!

The breakdown really does make me believe, as @jcvoodoo said, 13-3, I believe!

I think we've found our replacement for Zach Strief, as much as that pains me to say it, but I think he's probably done. I hope he transitions into an o-line coach for us, and man, he has been a solid bookend for us for a long, dozen years. What a stud!

I still have concerns about Armstead. He just can't string together a full season, yet when he's in, he's sooo good.

Regarding Coleman - He is all you could ever ask for as a person. He's a really good blocker, and actually a pretty good receiver. If he can work on his mindfulness in the game, and protect the ball, he could easily be our solid #3 for a long time.

We have so dang much to build on right now. I really like our LB corps, for a piece together crew of FA's that hadn't played a snap together, they actually did really well. We can build on that, but it's not a panic situation like it seemed to be at the end of last season.

Our secondary is going to be AMAZING for years to come. Add another strong CB (or two :) ) and we're monsters. Truly monsters!
Stick another good LB (or two :) ) in there, and holy crap!!
Our offense is already great, and another strong WR (or two :) ) and a TE, and we're monsters!

Teach Payton some clock management, and we're golden!!!

39 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Great write up, @whodatworm23!

I about spit my coffee out when I saw #33, LOL. Nice one!

The breakdown really does make me believe, as @jcvoodoo said, 13-3, I believe!

I think we've found our replacement for Zach Strief, as much as that pains me to say it, but I think he's probably done. I hope he transitions into an o-line coach for us, and man, he has been a solid bookend for us for a long, dozen years. What a stud!

I still have concerns about Armstead. He just can't string together a full season, yet when he's in, he's sooo good.

Regarding Coleman - He is all you could ever ask for as a person. He's a really good blocker, and actually a pretty good receiver. If he can work on his mindfulness in the game, and protect the ball, he could easily be our solid #3 for a long time.

We have so dang much to build on right now. I really like our LB corps, for a piece together crew of FA's that hadn't played a snap together, they actually did really well. We can build on that, but it's not a panic situation like it seemed to be at the end of last season.

Our secondary is going to be AMAZING for years to come. Add another strong CB (or two :) ) and we're monsters. Truly monsters!
Stick another good LB (or two :) ) in there, and holy crap!!
Our offense is already great, and another strong WR (or two :) ) and a TE, and we're monsters!

Teach Payton some clock management, and we're golden!!!

Thanks, thought yall would get a kick out of #33. Lol

I could actually see Strief coming back (at a reduced rate of course) but Strief does not have an ego and would be just fine playing the swing tackle in jumbo packages while serving as quality depth for us. I just dont feel Strief will want to end his career like this. Especially knowing that he can contribute to a possible Superbowl run in 2018.

On 1/17/2018 at 10:05 PM, whodatworm23 said:

#33. De’Vante Harris, Cornerback

Harris… nagh, just kidding!!!  LOL

I still don’t know how he was allowed to play again after his first outing. He’s not NFL material, we saw all we needed to see in his first game, he doesn’t have it lol.

1 minute ago, domepatrol91 said:

I still don’t know how he was allowed to play again after his first outing. He’s not NFL material, we saw all we needed to see in his first game, he doesn’t have it lol.

Texas A&M boys (Allen and Glenn) looking out for there own... simple as that!

8 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

Yeah, and we just signed him to a futures contract. What the...................

On 1/18/2018 at 8:24 AM, domepatrol91 said:

Awesome write up worm.... you should send this in to a few of the Saints websites, might get yourself published!!!

I’ll be reading this one more carefully when I get home 

Yes, this should be published! There are tons of Saints fans that could use to read this thread.

I feel like we're the champions after reading this lol

Archived