Post-Senior Bowl Mock Off-seaon

SDotNova

Looks like everyone is dusting off their mock drafts. Major changes from last mock: I no longer think Cousins signs with the Jets. 

Significant Resigns:

Enunwa WR - 2nd Round Tender

Davis ILB - $8M/year (3 years)

Claiborne CB - $7M/year (3 years)

ASJ TE - $4M/year (2 years) - I think he will learn that he is overvaluing himself

Ealy Edge - $4M/year (2 years)

Catanzaro P - $2M/year (2 years)

McCown QB - $7.5M for 1 year

Significant Cuts:

Skrine CB (I think he will get cut after we make a couple CB signings)

Carpenter (gets cut after we address the G position)

Kearse (gets cut after the draft). Not in our long-term plans and this year he is a victim of our depth chart

Significant Free Agent Signings:

Butler CB - $13M/year (4 years) - We've been linked to Butler and Johnson. I think we land one of them

Robinson WR - $13M/year (4 years) - I'm a big fan and think he is closer to the 2015 season of himself than the 2016 season

Richburg C - $7M/year (4 years) - We need a center and lock up the 2nd best center in free agency. We've also been linked to him

Mathieu CB - $12M/year (4 years) - After being cut, the Jets are all over him. We have a lot money invested in the CB position. However, with our two rookie safeties, it sort of balances itself out

Pugh G - $7M/year (4 years) - I might be a bigger fan than most. I think he fits our scheme well and is a much better guard than he is at RT

Attaochu Edge - $5M/year (1 year) - We need better edge play. 1 year deal. Similar to how we've signed ASJ and Claiborne in the past

NFL Draft live from AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

1(6) Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma - I think one of Rosen or Mayfield will be there at 6. I've had Rosen as my top choice and still believe he is the best of the bunch. However, if they are both there, I think the Jets should go Mayfield. The main reason is that I think Mayfield fits our offense better. The most important thing you can do for a rookie QB is put him in an environment where he can succeed. And I think Mayfield has a better chance to succeed in NY playing for the Jets than Rosen

2(NYJ) Ronald Jones II, RB, USC - Jets are now sporting a good trio of backs

2(SEA) Duke Ejiofor, Edge, Wake Forest - The Jets continue to add to their revamped defense that will feature a strong secondary and some new blood at Edge

3rd Round Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State -  A bit of a luxury pick after signing ARob. However, while this draft doesn't have that high-end WR, it does have a good amount of WR's that can be solid number twos. Gallup I believe is just that. Also, with the uncertainty around Enunwa and Anderson, he provides a good insurance policy. This draft pick triggers the cutting of Kearse who didn't figure into our long-term plans

4th Round Kemoko Turay, Edge, Rutgers - We have to keep swinging at the Edge position

Jets trade their 6th Round pick for a 2019 5th Round Pick

5th Round (earlier due to trade up) Wyatt Teller, OG, Virginia - Long-term replacement for Winters

7th Round - Chad Whitener, ILB, Oklahoma State - Depth at ILB

Offense: 

QB   Mayfield        -    McCown        -    Hack

RB   Powell            -    Jones II          -    McGuire

TE   ASJ                 -    Leggett          -     Tomlinson      -       Sterling

WR  Robinson       -    Gallup

WR  Anderson      -    Hansen

WR  Enunwa         -    Stewart

OT   Beachum    

OG  Pugh             -     Dozier

OC  Richburg      -     Harrison

OG  Winters        -     Teller

OT  Shell             -      Qvale

DE        Pennel           -      Cooper

NT       McLendon     -      Simon

DE       WIlliams         -      Ealy

Edge   Jenkins          -      Ejiofor           -        Martin

Edge   Attaochu       -      Turay

LB       Davis              -       Whitener

LB       Lee                  -       Stanford

CB       Butler             -        Roberts

CB       Claiborne       -       Burris

CB       Mathieu          -      Robinson

FS        Maye               -      Brooks

SS        Adams            -      Miles

Special Teams:

K     Edwards

P      Catanzaro

LS    Hennessy

Roster Assessment: 

Offense - Jets have their QBOFT and surround him with a really good receiving group as well as a great mentor in McCown. The OL is improved with only the LT position needing to be addressed long term. Mayfield may very well sit for the first half of the season while he gets up to speed, but long-term, I think he is a franchise QB. Mayfield throws to Tight-Ends a ton. So, if ASJ and Leggett don't develop as expected, I think we need to focus on the TE position in the 2019 off-season

Defense -  We aggressively addressed the cornerback position which needed an overhaul. We now have the  Honey Badger to cause havoc along with Adams in the middle of the field. We also added fresh blood at the edge position and will hopefully get to the QB on a more consistent basis. Areas that may need to be upgraded in 2019 are DE and LB depending on how Lee, Cooper and Pennel develop

Special Teams - We bring back our punter; so, things sort of stay steady here. The Jets really have a ton of areas they need to improve this off-season. I didn't get us a returner and that position will need to upgraded next year. I think some combo of Stewart and McGuire will take punt and kick return duties in 2018

2019 Off-season Needs: LT, TE, DL, PR/KR, ILB

47 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I like it bud.  One thing I would adjust though is ASJ's money.  Apparently he turned down an offer from the Jets at 4 mil per year.  Butler will also get more than 12 mil.

True about ASJ. I'm hoping him rejecting the offer had more to do with number of years. So maybe 3 years 12 mil might work. 

Thanks for the feedback. 

6 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

I like it bud.  One thing I would adjust though is ASJ's money.  Apparently he turned down an offer from the Jets at 4 mil per year.  Butler will also get more than 12 mil.

That's what Gilmore got, I don't think Butler will get higher than that. I do think Ansah would definitely be higher than $12M though.

12 hours ago, SDotNova said:

There's been a lot of mocks having us land Cousins. That would be great, but I want to put out a mock where we miss out on Cousins to get a feel for what our team could look like. I think Cousins will decide to go to the Broncos. At this point, the Jets will turn their attention to addressing other weak areas on the their team.

Significant Resigns:

Enunwa WR - 2nd Round Tender

Davis ILB - $7.5M/year (3 years)

Claiborne CB - $6M/year (3 years)

ASJ TE - $3.5M/year (3 years)

Ealy Edge - $3.5M/year (3 years)

Catanzaro P - $2M/year (2 years)

McCown QB - $7.5M for 1 year

Significant Cuts:

Forte RB

Skrine CB

Ijalana OT

Wilkerson DE

Significant Free Agent Signings:

Butler CB - $12M/year (4 years) - I don't see him resigning with New England. I prefer Fuller but I think he decides to resign with the Bears

Ansah Edge - $12M/year (4 years) - An athletic edge rusher than can get after the QB. Grades well against the run as well. 

Richburg C - $8M/year (4 years) - The Giants decide to prioritize Pugh in FA making Richburg available. Richburg will solidify the weakest position on our OL. 

Robey-Coleman CB - $6.5M/year (4 years) - In today's NFL, a slot corner is essentially a starter. He will also allow us to match up better against the Patriots

NFL Draft live from AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

The Browns are on the clock when it's announced that the Browns have traded the 1st overall pick to the NY Jets. After the buzz settles down, the details of the trade are announced.

Jets trade the 6th and 38th pick in the 2018 NFL Draft as well as their 1st Round and 3rd Round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft. After trading for Alex Smith prior to the draft, the Browns decide to trade back while also still being able to pick premium players at 4 and 6. 

1(1) Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA - The Jets go up and get the top QB on their draft board. The most NFL ready of all the draft eligible players. Scans the field well, accurate particularly in the short to intermediate space. 

2(SEA) Duke Ejiofor, Edge, Wake Forest - The Jets continue to add to their revamped defense that will feature a strong secondary and Ansah/Ejiofor coming off the edge.

3rd Round Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon -   Will compete for the LT and RT position.

4th Round Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon - Jets go back to Oregon and pick up a RB that will be a good compliment to Powell and McGuire.

5th Round Wyatt Teller, OG, Virginia - Will compete for a Guard position.

6th Round - Jets trade their 6th Round pick for a 2019 5th Round Pick. 

7th Round - Chad Whitener, ILB, Oklahoma State - Depth at ILB

Offense: 

QB   Rosen   -    McCown    -    Hack

RB   Powell  -    Freeman     -    McGuire

TE   ASJ       -     Leggett      -     Tomlinson      -       Sterling

WR  Anderson   -    Hansen

WR  Enunwa      -    Stewart

WR  Kearse

OT   Beachum    -     Crosby

OG  Carpenter    -     Dozier

OC  Richburg      -     Harrison

OG  Winters        -     Teller

OT  Shell             -      Qvale

Defense: Jets will switch to a 4 down lineman look playing mostly 5 DB in order to match up better against pass defenses. They will rotate Ansah/Ejiofor/Ealy at DE in order to keep them fresh.

Edge   Ansah             -      Ealy             -       Jenkins 

NT       McLendon     -      Pennel        -       Simon

DT       WIlliams         -      Cooper

Edge   Ejiofor             -       Martin      -        Donahue

LB       Davis              -       Whitener

LB       Lee                  -       Stanford

CB       Butler             -        Roberts

CB       Claiborne       -        Burris

CB       Robey-Coleman  -  Robinson

FS        Maye             -          Brooks

SS        Adams         -           Miles

Special Teams:

K     Edwards

P      Catanzaro

LS    Hennessy

Roster Assessment: 

Defense - In the first couple of years of Rosen's career, the Jets will lean heavily on their defense. With 5 solid DBs, and Ejiofor/Ansah/Ealy coming off the edge, I think this defense can become dominant. Having strong pass rushers on the outside will also open up Williams to more one-on-one situations and we could see those solid PFF grades for Williams translate into actual stats. Our 4 DL and Davis grade well against the run. So, I think we can be strong against the run. 

Offense - We finally got our QB of the Future. I think we could see him sit for the first half of the season and like most rookie QBs, I think Rosen will have some growing pains. But I believe he will be an above average QB than can lead this team to be annual competitors. Especially once we start to building around him. The offense is still missing an above average offensive weapon as well as an impact OL. I think addressing those two needs early in Rosen's career will be critical to his development. 

Special Teams - We bring back our punter; so, thinks sort of stay steady here. Addressing the Punt Returner position will likely be a high priority going into the 2019 off-season. 

2019 Offseason Game Plan - Not having a 1st and 3rd Round Pick will limit how much we can improve the team via the draft. But the Jets will have money to spend and will focus on upgrading the team via FA. Depending on the development of our young OL, we will look to address either the LT or a G position. We will also look to get a number one WR and decide to keep one of Enunwa or Kearse. 

I love it, but how do we pull it off. I think the only catch is moving up in the draft, there should a lot of competition for one of those top 5 picks, but it is sure worth a shot. The rest of your moves make a lot of sense. I also like the idea of bring back McCown, for one year, if we get lucky in the QB sweepstakes. 

10 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

That's what Gilmore got, I don't think Butler will get higher than that. I do think Ansah would definitely be higher than $12M though.

I used Spotrac.com  as a guide for salary details. They calculate what they think is a player's market value based on age and recent contracts (they run regressions and the whole deal).

They must have recently updated Butler's market value as it's currently at 5 years $13.2M/year . So you both are right that he will likely get more than $12M/year. We still should have no issues signing him though. They have Ansah's market value at 2 years $9.5M/year. Giving that there are hardly any edge players hitting FA, I think Ansah will demand more than that. So, I still think 4 years $12M/year is still in the right ballpark.  

They also have recently updated Davis' market value to 4 years 8/year. While Davis had a great year, I don't see teams lining up for him. So, I think we'll get him for either one less year or a lower per year salary.

5 hours ago, doumeyer said:

I love it, but how do we pull it off. I think the only catch is moving up in the draft, there should a lot of competition for one of those top 5 picks, but it is sure worth a shot. The rest of your moves make a lot of sense. I also like the idea of bring back McCown, for one year, if we get lucky in the QB sweepstakes. 

I think moving up to number 1 in the draft largely depends on how the Browns rate these QBs. While I have Rosen as the clear number 1 followed by Baker Mayfield and then Sam Darnold, it wouldn't surprise me if teams view the top 4 or 5 QBs as similar value.  Rumors (could be true or false) are that the Browns don't like Rosen and they like Allen. I don't believe anything has come out on how they feel about Mayfield or Darnold. But if they do like Allen, it would make much more sense for them to trade for a player like Alex Smith with one of their second round picks, draft Allen with the Jets 6th pick and let him sit behind Smith for a couple of years. I think the Jets 6 pick is enticing because they still get to draft a premium player which may not be the case if the Browns trade out of the Top 10. The only other teams in the Top 10 that could possibly want to trade up to number one are the Giants and the Broncos. If the Broncos land Cousins in FA, that takes them off the board. As far as the Giants are concerned, They can just sit at 2 and take Rosen or Darnold. I don't see an Eli situation happening. 

If the Browns are just throwing smoke around, then the Colts spot becomes a good spot for us to trade up. 

In case anyone is wondering, the reason why I think we should trade up is because I want us to get our guy. I don't want to hear any excuses that we settled on X player because Y player was selected ahead of our pick. We need to get our guy and let the rest fall into place. Everyone knows the Jets need a QB. So, teams will look to jump us. My view - let's be the aggressors this off-season. 

4 hours ago, Dr.O said:

Not a fan of Ansah tbh, to up and down as a player and idk if he'd fit our scheme. Switch him to Trent Murphy or Jerry Attoachu and I'd be down for it.

He's really only had 1 down year. Aside from 2016, he's produced and graded well. As far as scheme fit, Bowles does switch up his front and says he likes having players do what they are good at. While Ansah is very athletic, we won't be asking him to drop back much. We are getting him so that he can set the edge and get after the QB. The same goes for Ejiofor. Ejiofor will set the edge but more importantly he will apply consistent pressure on the QB.

Right now, I think the Jets are not maximizing the players on their front 7. Mainly Williams and Lee. Lee is a below average 3-4 ILB. I think he would be better if he has less junk to fight threw and can just use his speed to run around and make plays. Williams is a good 3-4 DE. But if we are all honest, we didn't draft him with the expectation for him to be good. He was rated as the overall best player in his draft. I think he will be more of an impact player if we let him use his power to shoot the gap. Ealy is another player. He's not really a 3-4 OLB or a 3-4 DE. Having him rotate at the edge in a 4 man front with Ansah Ejiofor would be better for him. 

So, really what I'm thinking is the Jets not only get two players who can get after the QB, but that we will see better production from Williams to the point where he becomes more of an impact player and Lee becomes more like an average starter.

3 hours ago, SDotNova said:

I used Spotrac.com  as a guide for salary details. They calculate what they think is a player's market value based on age and recent contracts (they run regressions and the whole deal).

They must have recently updated Butler's market value as it's currently at 5 years $13.2M/year . So you both are right that he will likely get more than $12M/year. We still should have no issues signing him though. They have Ansah's market value at 2 years $9.5M/year. Giving that there are hardly any edge players hitting FA, I think Ansah will demand more than that. So, I still think 4 years $12M/year is still in the right ballpark.  

They also have recently updated Davis' market value to 4 years 8/year. While Davis had a great year, I don't see teams lining up for him. So, I think we'll get him for either one less year or a lower per year salary.

Vernon got 17M per year, I'd just be surprised if a Edge Rusher got 5M less after the cap has gone up since that contract was signed.

15 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

Gilmore got 13 and the cap goes up every year.  12 mil would make him the 10th or 11th highest paid corner in the league.  I think he'll get more personally.

Only thing that concerns me is you did not address our lack of offensive weapons. You bring in three edge guys with retaining Ealy, signing Ansah and then a premium pick on Ejiofor. It's an important position but we need some play makers for any QB to throw to.  Would like to see getting a guy like Robinson or Landry in FA. 

There are two major problems with these moves...

- we're not switching to a 4-3 until/unless Todd Bowles is no longer the head coach. We played a frickin'  defensive tackle (Richardson) at outside linebacker so as to not make the switch. We didn't switch when we had Wilkerson, Richardson AND Williams. We're not switching now, so Ansah is not a good fit. Ealy can be brought back if he accepts a situational pass rush role, or bulks up a bit and can play RE. Otherwise, the type of edge pass rusher we need is more of the OLB type, which was not addressed here.

- "The most NFL ready of all the draft eligible players." What? How do you reach this conclusion? Rosen MAY be the best QB available, but how is he the most NFL-ready of anyone in the draft? He won nothing in college, has been injury-prone, is currently injured, has questionable leadership skills, etc. He has just as many question marks as Darnold, Allen, Jackson, Mayfield and any other QB in this draft. Dare I say, the most NFL-ready prospect this year is a non-QB. In fact, in most years that is the case. So, to overpay to move up five spots to get a guy with just as many issues as the other guys makes zero sense to a team that needs all the quality assets they can land.

I like most of the other moves, but the 2 biggest deals for us right now is finding a pass rusher on defense and establishing a future franchise QB on offense. We have to do better than what you're proposing. 

Archived