What the **** are you doing Mock

squire12

Let's just call this the Pending Government shutdown Mock

The 2017 season leaves a big shake up in the upper levels of the GB Packers.  Out are TT, Dom “Ernest” Capers, Edgar Bennett and some others.   Joe Philbin is brought back, Mike Pettine is added, and all is rosy in Titletown….However

The first offseason with a new GM and new FO reporting structure leads to some tension during the negotiating of a contract extension Aaron Rodgers.  Rodgers is looking for a contract that averages $30-35M per year for an additional 5 years.  Contract negotiator Russ Ball is unwilling to lay out that type of cap allocation while MM knows his success (very likely) hinges on Rodgers being the QB for GB.  

With a stale-mate amongst the triangle, new GM Brian Gutekunst seeks out the council of previous GM TT.  Unable to track down TT on a scouting trip in the backcountry of the US southwest….TT seeking to find the next greatest 7th round draft pick for the GB Packers.  Gutekunst turns to his first mentor, Ron Wolf for advice, a short and minimally helpful 30 minute phone conversation leaves Gutekunst in a bind.  

A twist comes the next morning with a message from his good friend and recently departed GB employee Eliot Wolf.

EW:  “Brian, what would it take to get Rodgers?”

BG:  “What….we aren’t trading him!!!”

EW:  “OK, just was thinking that contract he is going to want is going to be a bit difficult to work around and build that roster back up.   See you in Indy at the combine next month”

BG begins to ponder life without Rodgers…..thinking of those 2 top 5 2018 picks that Cleveland has….and those other top 2nd round picks.   BG calls MM to his office.

BG:  “Mike, I was thinking, remember how invigorating it was working with a young unpolished QB”

MM:  “Yeah?”

BG:   “Well….I was thinking, that contract is going to be hard to work around, and it would be awesome to add a lot of top tier talent to the roster this year”

MM:  “What are you saying?  Are you thinking of trading Aaron?”

BG:  “ We could deal him to Cleveland for their 2 Firsts, their 2 seconds and ..

MM:  “ Are you serious?”

BG:   “Think about it….Chubb, + Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield, + the pick at #14, #33, #35 and #65.  It clears a good amount of cap space and adds 4 top picks.   I am going to do it”

*****TRADE****

GB trades Aaron Rodgers, pick #76 and #141 to Cleveland for picks #1, #4, #33, #35 and #65

****Cuts****

Jordy Nelson --  with Rodgers gone, Nelson is released

Salary cap space $21.1M (pre trade and release of Nelson)

New cap space = $51.9M (post trade and release of Nelson)

****FA Re-signings****

Morgan Burnett -- 3 years $22M with $10.5M SB,  2018 cap hit $5.9M  (remaining cap space = $46M)

Davon House -- 2 years $8M with $4M SB, 2018 cap hit $3M  (remaining cap space = $43M)

Jahri Evans -- 1 year $2.5M, 2018 cap hit $2.5M   (remaining cap space = $40.5M)

Jeff Janis -- 2 years $3.0M, 2018 cap hit $1.5M  (remaining cap space = $39M)

Brett Goode -- 1 year $1M (remaining cap space $38M)

****UFA signings *****

Donte Moncrief -- 3 Years $20M with SB $9M, 2018 cap hit $4.5M (remaining cap space = $33.5M)

Luke Willson -- 2 years $7M with SB $4M, 2018 cap hit $3M  (remaining cap space = $30.5M)

Aaron Colvin -- 3 years $8M with SB $3M, 2018 cap hit $2.5M  (remaining cap space = $28M)

Mark Sanchez -- 2 years $8M with SB $3M, 2018 cap hit $3.5M (remaining cap space = $24.5M)

****TRADE****

GB sends pick #65 to Philly for DE Vinny Curry ($9.0M cap hit) and Pick #147

Philly needs to cut some cap space and GB takes on a contract with 3 years remaining.  This allows Pettine to use multiple front with a DL rotation and EDGE rush group of Perry, Curry, Matthews

****TRADE*****

GB sends pick Comp 5th round (Hyde) + #172 to KC for TE Demetrius Harris (Cap hit $2M) and a 2019 conditional pick 6th or 7th depending on Harris playing 70% of offensive snaps

Athletic TE that is a FA after 2018.  Paired with Willson, revamps the TE position and frees up needed cap space for KC.  Stuck behind Kelce, he could flourish in GB

Remaining Cap space = $13.5M

Draft picks #1, #4, #14, #33, #35, #45, Comp 3rd (Lang), #110, #147,  comp 5 (Tretter), comp 5 (Cook),  #206

*****DRAFT******

Pick #1 -- Bradley Chubb, EDGE NC State

Pick #4 -- Sam Darnold, QB USC

Pick #14 -- Carlton Davis, CB  Auburn

Pick #33 -- Lorenzo Carter, EDGE Georgia

Pick #35 -- Dante Pettis, WR Washington

Pick #45 -- Dorance Armstrong, EDGE Kansas

Comp pick (Lang) -- Brian O’Neill, OT Pittsburgh

Pick #110  -- Micah Kiser, LB  Virginia

Pick #147 --  Riley Ferguson, QB Memphis

Comp 5th (Tretter) -- Darren Carrington, WR Utah

Comp 5th (Cook) --  Some unknown IOL

Pick # 206 -- Some small school TT gem found on the backcountry scouting trip that started this thing

DEPTH Chart

QB:  Darnold, Sanchez, Ferguson (3/3)

RB:  Jones, Williams, Montgomery, Mays, Ripkowski (5/8)

WR:  Adams, Cobb, Moncrief, Pettis, Carrington, Janis (6/14)

TE:  Willson, Harris, Kendricks (3/17

OL:  Bahktiari, Taylor, Linsley, Evans, Spriggs, Murphy, McCray, ONeill (8/25)

DL:  Clark, Daniels, Curry, Adams, Lowry (5/30)

LB:  Perry, Matthews, Martinez, Ryan, Chubb, Carter, Armstrong, Kiser, Biegel, Fackrell (10/40)

DB:  King, Randall, Burnett, Clinton-Dix, Davis, Jones, House, Colvin, Brice, Pipkins (10/50)

ST:  Goode, Crosby, Vogel (3/53)

PUP:  Bulaga

OK....let me have it.

Couple of other points regarding your “scenario”:  I can easily see TT lost somewhere in the wilds of America.  I can easily see young Wolf call Gute and proposing a trade.  I can conceivably see Gute telling EW to go f**k off, not so easily see him seriously consider the offer, or even tell MM about the call.

I just don’t see Gute starting his tenure as GM by dealing AR.  He’d get run out of town before the draft even closed on day two.

7 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I’m not a Darnold fan.  But that’s not important.  I started to dry-heave about half way through, after laughing my arse off at your opening commments.  I credit the effort you put into this “scenario”.  You retired or something?

Been pondering the idea of having more cap space and 3 top 14 picks plus several in the 2nd.  Clear $30M with the Rodgers and Nelson combo.  It would be a HUGE gamble, but that is the fun of contemplating these things.  

No, not retired, but taking the dog for a walk can get you thinking of some random things on how to fire up some posters here.  Should have went with an OG and WR with those 2 top 5 picks.

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Been pondering the idea of having more cap space and 3 top 14 picks plus several in the 2nd.  Clear $30M with the Rodgers and Nelson combo.  It would be a HUGE gamble, but that is the fun of contemplating these things.  

No, not retired, but taking the dog for a walk can get you thinking of some random things on how to fire up some posters here.  Should have went with an OG and WR with those 2 top 5 picks.

Your much more productive/creative walking your dog than I am all day, LOL.  Certainly a provacative plan.  Risky, absolutely.  Would take stones made of diamonds to pull that off.  Seriously, think of that press announcement - Gute would need a full-detail security force around him.  If it paid off in a few years, he’d be crowned the greatest, ballsiest GM to ever walk the planet.  If it didn’t pay off, he’d never find another job in the NFL - or the state of Wisconsin, ever.

2 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Your much more productive/creative walking your dog than I am all day, LOL.  Certainly a provacative plan.  Risky, absolutely.  Would take stones made of diamonds to pull that off.  Seriously, think of that press announcement - Gute would need a full-detail security force around him.  If it paid off in a few years, he’d be crowned the greatest, ballsiest GM to ever walk the planet.  If it didn’t pay off, he’d never find another job in the NFL - or the state of Wisconsin, ever.

Sure would.  How easy will it be to build a roster with Rodgers making $30M per year?  With Rodgers, GB will be picking in the 20's, so adding top tier talent will be a challenge, and will be in the middle of the pack for cap space.  At some point, GB will be faced with finding the next QB, I personally don't think 2018 is the year, but with a team having 2 top 5 picks, it was a fun exercise to see what you could do with those picks to reshape the roster with top picks and more cap space.

13 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Ya! That was kinda fun. 

Its not the worst feeling in the world to get Chubb and Darnold. I could actually see a contending team year 3 of that. Would be fun.

Thanks.  Probably a less than 0.0001% chance of this happening, but it is fun to see what prospects you can get with the extra picks and the amount of trades you can do for some more certain talent from teams with tight cap situations with those extra picks.

How soon that team would contend is very dependent on Darnold being a top 10-15 QB.  Part of the reason I double dipped at QB....similar to WAS with RG3 and Cousins.   Big difference is they had to give up a lot to get RG3 and thus the team around him (and now Cousins) is weaker.  Getting those extra picks adds more potential top tier talent

Fundamental problem I see with this plan is the QB situation next year.  I’m not sold on Darnold...at all....and Sanchez is not going to be worth a damn trying to teach/coach him up.  You’d be throwing Darnold to the wolves as a rookie, and unless the defense suddenly became all world overnight, that unit can’t carry this team.  Rethink your QB replacements and “maybe”..............

7 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Fundamental problem I see with this plan is the QB situation next year.  I’m not sold on Darnold...at all....and Sanchez is not going to be worth a damn trying to teach/coach him up.  You’d be throwing Darnold to the wolves as a rookie, and unless the defense suddenly became all world overnight, that unit can’t carry this team.  Rethink your QB replacements and “maybe”..............

Won't fight you on that.  It all depends on the player that Darnold can be and how soon that can happen.  Maybe there is a post draft QB cut that is a better option.  Maybe someone like Alex Smith.  It really is less about 2018 and more about the following 5+ years. 

Sanchez went to 2 AFC championship games with the NYJ and a much weaker offensive supporting cast and less coaching around him.  With the talent of Adams, Cobb, Moncrief, 2 WR additions, 2 TE additions, a solid OL and some young RB, the offense needs to hold its own.

Adding the pieces on Defense with Curry to the DL (probably could have looked for another big DL player to allow Pettine more flexibility).  Adding 3 rookie Edge picks to pair with Perry and Matthews, also allows Matthews to more around a lot from OLB to ILB.  

A CB groups of King, Davis, Randall, House, Colvin, Pipkins is pretty attractive along with veteran safeties in Clinton-Dix and Burnett with Jones hopefully ready for a bigger role.  

I think that D would have the makings of a very nice unit that would be fun to see what Pettine could do with it.

10 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

If Darnold isn't ready you play Sanchez and go 3-13. You have a 22 year old QB again, time is no longer of the essence.

1 minute ago, Kenrik said:

Why not trade Rodgers and instead of Sam Darnold draft Minkah and then sign Kirk Cousins.

You still have to pay Cousins $20-25M more than likely.  That is a lot of cap space for a step down in QB.  The purpose of trading Rodgers is to have that big QB contract gone and have the rookie QB and the small cap hit for the next 5 years.

2 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

Why not trade Rodgers and instead of Sam Darnold draft Minkah and then sign Kirk Cousins.

The most valuable player in the whole NFL right now is Carson Wentz. Elite QBs on rookie contracts are the easiest way for a short dynasty. Why give that up throwing money at Cousins?

Archived