What the **** are you doing Mock

squire12

Don't like this risk.  You'd be essentially setting this franchise back AT LEAST a half dozen years If Sam Darnold doesn't turn into the franchise QB he's being drafted to be.  That's like flipping a coin.  Heads WE MIGHT compete for the playoffs and the Super Bowl in 3 to 4 years.  Tails, were a 5 or 6 win team who will forever be looking for our next franchise QB again.   

Nothing I seen last year from Darnold  has  me believing that he's going to be a franchise level starting NFL QB.  He looked awful at times despite being surrounded by USC level talent.  In their bowl game against OSU, he didn't look like a NFL back up muchless the franchise QB level player he's going to be drafted to be.   

7 minutes ago, SSG said:

Don't like this risk.  You'd be essentially setting this franchise back AT LEAST a half dozen years If Sam Darnald doesn't turn into the franchise QB he's being drafted to be.  That's like flipping a coin.  Heads WE MIGHT compete for the playoffs and the Super Bowl in 3 to 4 years.  Tails, were a 5 or 6 win team who will forever be looking for our next franchise QB again.   

Nothing I seen last year has  me believing that he's going to be a franchise level starting NFL QB.  He looked awful at times despite being surrounded by USC level talent.  In their bowl game against OSU, he didn't look like a NFL back up muchless the franchise QB level player he's going to be drafted to be.   

Agree 1000%. I'm extremely skeptical of QBs that don't perform consistently well when surrounded by that level of talent.

Fun read. I was actually pondering doing the same thing. 

First off if you trade Rogers I don’t think you need to add any picks fr M us for that haul unless your getting Kaiser in return, which I would shoot for. 

Think you’ll find a better option out there than Sanchez as well. Pass on Darnold now that you have Kaiser. Slide back from #4 and up in the second and get yourself 5 premium players. 

Question for all. How does the rookie cap work? Does it give you X amount of dollars based on what draft picks you have or is it a pool of money calculated some how. If the later, would a team even be able to draft 5 top round players and have money for them all.?

8 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

So Squire and Packerraymond, I understand your position about the huge QB contract and what that does to the cap.  I’m not sure that by dealing Rodgers and going 3-13 for a few years would satisfy anyone at 1265, or anywhere in Packerland, given the sting of losing AR.  I’m hearing that you’re ready for a near-complete rebuild now, and I just don’t see that happening.

Now, that being said, with the proposed model in discussion, the antidote is to sign a top 15 QB somewhere in the $15 million dollar range that’s better than Sanchez and less expensive/quality than Cousins.  A Foles or Keenum type QB.  Somebody that can move a damn offense, but might not have all of the intangibles (or price tag) of an AR, Wentz, Luck, etc.  You can draft your young QB and bring him up at the same time, without throwing his arse into the hot, steaming, pit of misery right out of the s**t-chute!

I want nothing to do with trading Aaron, but if we did (or when he retires) I want nothing to do with signing an over priced FA QB. Get a top 10 pick and draft a franchise QB and let him play on his rookie deal.

Someone like Sam Bradford (who I imagine will get a very short 1-2 year deal for 10-15m) would be the biggest QB type splash I'd want to make post Rodgers.

They would have to add Myles Garrett and take Jordy Nelson and Clay Matthews in that deal. The next move would be to get Sam Bradford for about 10 million a year for 3 years. I'd perfer Josh Allen at 14 in this scenario and get Chubb (who you could swap the #1 over all with NYG at #2 overall and pick up a 2nd or 3rd). You could then trade out of 4 down to about 7 and get Roquan Smith at #7, plus an extra second and possibly a #1 next year as well, given the team you are trading down with (Denver probably) will want Darnold or Rosen, whoever is left, desperately before the Jets pick. 

Dare to dream, but this whole scenario reminds me of George Kostansa on Seinfeld talking about being the Yankees GM. 

In the hypothetical world we traded Rodgers;

I don't think we'd resign Burnett/House (29 at the beginning of next year), and we'd go complete rebuild. Evans would probably be on the wrong  side of 30 too (although I could see us wanting to  protect a new QB).

I also don't see us drafting 3 edge guys in this hypothetical world and not using a high (top 45 in this case) pick on an OL.

Not a big fan of the FA signings. Decent money to other teams scrubs. That isn't how the TT GM tree has done it.

I like the creativity though. I'll give you credit. If we were to trade AR, that would be the type of haul we'd want/need to trade AR pick wise.

2 hours ago, Bauman1535 said:
2 hours ago, SSG said:

Don't like this risk.  You'd be essentially setting this franchise back AT LEAST a half dozen years If Sam Darnald doesn't turn into the franchise QB he's being drafted to be.  That's like flipping a coin.  Heads WE MIGHT compete for the playoffs and the Super Bowl in 3 to 4 years.  Tails, were a 5 or 6 win team who will forever be looking for our next franchise QB again.   

Nothing I seen last year has  me believing that he's going to be a franchise level starting NFL QB.  He looked awful at times despite being surrounded by USC level talent.  In their bowl game against OSU, he didn't look like a NFL back up muchless the franchise QB level player he's going to be drafted to be.   

Agree 1000%. I'm extremely skeptical of QBs that don't perform consistently well when surrounded by that level of talent.

I agree it would be a huge gamble.  Not sure which of the incoming QB's would be the best to secure in this scenario.  Between Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield/Allen, I went with Darnold as I liked his 2016 season (more than 2017).  There is something about Rosen that just seems off to me, maybe some of his comments come off as being elitist.  Mayfield I have questions about maturity and stature.  Allen is an equal boom/bust option as well.  

2 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Fun read. I was actually pondering doing the same thing. 

First off if you trade Rogers I don’t think you need to add any picks fr M us for that haul unless your getting Kaiser in return, which I would shoot for. 

Think you’ll find a better option out there than Sanchez as well. Pass on Darnold now that you have Kaiser. Slide back from #4 and up in the second and get yourself 5 premium players. 

Question for all. How does the rookie cap work? Does it give you X amount of dollars based on what draft picks you have or is it a pool of money calculated some how. If the later, would a team even be able to draft 5 top round players and have money for them all.?

I thought about getting Kiser in return, but with the idea of taking  a rookie QB high, Kiser is really a back up and I wanted to grab a 2nd QB in this class (Ferguson) similar to what WAS did with RG3 and Cousins.  

Agree on Sanchez, but the pickings are pretty slim in the UFA department, and maybe a better idea is waiting to see if a veteran gets cut later on, but waiting for that seems risky as well.  

Certainly could trade back more, but as this was already enough Maddenesque, I tried to limit the trade  back and get more picks in a never ending fashion.

As for the rookie picks, each pick is slotted to make a certain amount (or at least within a range of $$ that is really set).  Teams can essentially allocate the salary space needed for each pick they have.  Pretty sure @CWood21 @ChaRisMa  @AlexGreen#20 would have more definitive understanding of how that goes.  

44 minutes ago, Golfman said:

They would have to add Myles Garrett and take Jordy Nelson and Clay Matthews in that deal. The next move would be to get Sam Bradford for about 10 million a year for 3 years. I'd perfer Josh Allen at 14 in this scenario and get Chubb (who you could swap the #1 over all with NYG at #2 overall and pick up a 2nd or 3rd). You could then trade out of 4 down to about 7 and get Roquan Smith at #7, plus an extra second and possibly a #1 next year as well, given the team you are trading down with (Denver probably) will want Darnold or Rosen, whoever is left, desperately before the Jets pick. 

Dare to dream, but this whole scenario reminds me of George Kostansa on Seinfeld talking about being the Yankees GM. 

I have a hard time seeing CLE giving up Garrett.  They can take their QB and keep the base young talent they have around already.  

As I mentioned in another post, there is the possibility to trade down and acquire more picks, but there would be no end to that and it becomes even more unrealistic.

34 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

In the hypothetical world we traded Rodgers;

I don't think we'd resign Burnett/House (29 at the beginning of next year), and we'd go complete rebuild. Evans would probably be on the wrong  side of 30 too (although I could see us wanting to  protect a new QB).

I also don't see us drafting 3 edge guys in this hypothetical world and not using a high (top 45 in this case) pick on an OL.

Not a big fan of the FA signings. Decent money to other teams scrubs. That isn't how the TT GM tree has done it.

I like the creativity though. I'll give you credit. If we were to trade AR, that would be the type of haul we'd want/need to trade AR pick wise.

I guess I am not seeing it as a complete rebuild but an opportunity to add a lot of young potential talent (via high picks) with a QB on a rookie contract.  Burnett and House are the veteran secondary that can help make Pettine's Defense work on the back end.  Evans is a security for the OL and if one of the young players develops, he is a reasonable cut with minimal dead cap.  

I looked at the EDGE needs and felt that adding more of them was important.  2018 with Perry, Matthews, Curry with the 3 rookies to work into roles.  Then in 2019 it is Perry, Curry and the rookies.  It allows Matthews to be more of a hybrid OLB/ILB in Pettine's defense.

Any of the other team FA signings you particular are not in favor of?  

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

I thought about getting Kiser in return, but with the idea of taking  a rookie QB high, Kiser is really a back up and I wanted to grab a 2nd QB in this class (Ferguson) similar to what WAS did with RG3 and Cousins.  

Agree on Sanchez, but the pickings are pretty slim in the UFA department, and maybe a better idea is waiting to see if a veteran gets cut later on, but waiting for that seems risky as well.  

Certainly could trade back more, but as this was already enough Maddenesque, I tried to limit the trade  back and get more picks in a never ending fashion.

As for the rookie picks, each pick is slotted to make a certain amount (or at least within a range of $$ that is really set).  Teams can essentially allocate the salary space needed for each pick they have.  Pretty sure @CWood21 @ChaRisMa  @AlexGreen#20 would have more definitive understanding of how that goes.  

You are alloted rookie cap space based off which picks you have. There is no real negotiating anymore outside of offset language.

48 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Just because i know this would never happen, I love it. I don't really like Darnold, so I'd go full YOLO and take Baker

I really was not enamored with any of the top QB's (Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield/Allen/Jackson).  Went with Darnold, but would not fight hard on a preference on any of the others.  

I felt Darnold played in the most "pro-like" offense, and his 2016 was better to me than the others in a similar system

17 minutes ago, squire12 said:
1 hour ago, JBURGE25 said:

Just because i know this would never happen, I love it. I don't really like Darnold, so I'd go full YOLO and take Baker

I really was not enamored with any of the top QB's (Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield/Allen/Jackson).  Went with Darnold, but would not fight hard on a preference on any of the others.  

I felt Darnold played in the most "pro-like" offense, and his 2016 was better to me than the others in a similar system

I have a huge preference to Rosen. I love him

Archived