Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

On 6/2/2018 at 1:12 PM, rpmwr19 said:

Just don’t like having such a shallow list at QB; especially given the inexperience. 

Well, considering none of the QBs had taken a snap in college yet, I'm not sure the inexperience matters all that much.  Having a 3rd QB with no experience doesn't really add anything...if Annexstad and Morgan both were to get hurt, they'd be screwed anyway...and they could just throw Green back at QB and let him hand the ball off a lot.    

Twins draft thus far:

Trevor Larnach

A college OF with good power potential and good defensive skills. He also seems to have a good approach at the plate with the strike zone drawing a nice number of walks in college.

Ryan Jeffers

A bit of a surprise pick from what I can tell. Sounds like a catcher who might have to move to 1B or DH, however is a good hitting prospect with solid power. I don't have much issue with the Twins drafting a 1B/DH type player, the Twins could use a real DH, something they haven't really had since Jim Thome.

43 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Twins draft thus far:

Trevor Larnach

A college OF with good power potential and good defensive skills. He also seems to have a good approach at the plate with the strike zone drawing a nice number of walks in college.

Ryan Jeffers

A bit of a surprise pick from what I can tell. Sounds like a catcher who might have to move to 1B or DH, however is a good hitting prospect with solid power. I don't have much issue with the Twins drafting a 1B/DH type player, the Twins could use a real DH, something they haven't really had since Jim Thome.

I still wish they'd just do away with the DH.

I remember hearing about Larnach just a few days ago since I was listening to the discussion of Gophers' baseball...considering Larnach plays for their upcoming opponent.  :D

I'm of the opposite mindset, I wish they would have the NL go to the DH. There are enough injuries each year with pitchers getting injured while batting/running that we might as well just do away with it completely. Add in the fact that offense is already down a little in the league and the pitching is strong, adding a little more offense in wouldn't be a bad thing for the NL. Though, if they stopped going for HR or bust while hitting the ball, that would make the game more interesting as well. I wonder when we'll see some sort of change in MLB with that.

Couple more Twins picks: 

DaShawn Keirsey

Would have gone a lot higher had he not had a hip injury and surgery that he's still getting back from. Had plus speed, now just has good speed, but seems like a solid all around prospect and if he can continue to come back from the hip injury could end up being a steal.

Cole Sands

RHP who has good stuff, but a little inconsistent with his slider. He's aggressive going after hitters and not a big strikeout pitcher. Though, I suspect with the slider it sounds like he has, if he can get more consistent with that, he's going to start to pick up more strike outs.

Thus far the Twins have only drafted college players so I don't think they'll have issues signing any of them.

18 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Couple more Twins picks: 

DaShawn Keirsey

Would have gone a lot higher had he not had a hip injury and surgery that he's still getting back from. Had plus speed, now just has good speed, but seems like a solid all around prospect and if he can continue to come back from the hip injury could end up being a steal.

Cole Sands

RHP who has good stuff, but a little inconsistent with his slider. He's aggressive going after hitters and not a big strikeout pitcher. Though, I suspect with the slider it sounds like he has, if he can get more consistent with that, he's going to start to pick up more strike outs.

Thus far the Twins have only drafted college players so I don't think they'll have issues signing any of them.

I read about them after the picks...he's certainly young, but I always have a little hesitation about guys who injure their hips this early in life.  That's one of the places on the body that once you injure it, it might never be the same and can have a tendency to reinjure.  

Twins with a solid win yesterday, and by solid I mean a complete game by Berrios. It seems like the biggest issue for the Twins right now is them not getting out of their own way, versus anything else. Rosario is still on a fire which is nice as well. 

• Like 1

After a weekend that saw head coach P.J. Fleck and his staff score five new verbal commitments — James Gordon, T.J. Robinson, Donald Willis, DeAngelo Griffin, and Solomon Brown — the Minnesota Golden Gophers’ current recruiting class stands at 16 commits. In terms of rankings, 247 Sports currently ranks the class 19th nationally and fourth in the Big Ten.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2018/6/11/17446852/minnesota-football-breakdown-recruiting-class

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

^That's after getting a pretty good QB to commit on Wednesday

If he can continue to bring in recruits like these and actually be able to coach them, then they should be pretty good here in a year or 2.  I hope they are, because I've been waiting for some consistency in the program my entire lifetime.  While the program will never be an Alabama, Ohio State, or Texas (when Texas is actually run right), they certainly should be able to compete on the level of Wisconsin and Iowa.  If they can do that, then it'll be considered a success.  

• Like 1

Solid Twins win last night, I didn't watch, but the HR by Ardianza looked nice, was a Grand Slam for those who missed it. The Twins need to get going right now, but Mauer is in the minors on a rehab assignment, hopefully that goes well. I wouldn't mind seeing Sano get sent down for a few weeks and let him work on his swing again and work on 1B defense and bring him up late July/early August to play 1B.

22 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

This is all I’ve ever really asked for as a Gophers fan. 

And hopefully, they can finally get there.  It's time to stop competing with the Illinois's, Indianas, and Purdues.

Edited by disaacs

1 minute ago, VikeManDan said:

NBA draft next Thursday 6/21 - no idea what the Wolves need.

NHL draft next weekend 6/22 - 6/23 - Who stays and who goes? Will the Wild try and wheel-and-deal?

NBA Draft - They need someone who can actually hit 3s consistently.  Now I have no idea whether that player is available in the draft or not and whether they will be available at their spot, but it's definitely what they need.

NHL Draft - Unfortunately, I still believe that the Wild's window has passed, so they just need to draft better talent, and quit trading away draft picks.  I'm not sure who stays or goes, but evenso, they aren't winning a Cup with the roster as currently comprised, and small moves aren't going to change that.  I imagine, though, that Nino is going to have to go, since he has actual trade value.  I'm not sure how many others (at least of the veteran players) do.